Scarf KAL

sammimag

Anyone want to join me in a Scarf KAL?

I'm doing the Gryffindor Harry Potter Scarf that you can find here. It's knit, knit, knit etc., around, around you go ;0)

KnicKnac shared a great tip here to get a handle on knits and purls that could be a good scarf too.

I'll add other pattern ideas especially for beginners as anyone shares. Please anyone who want to join no matter your skill level please do. I love fiber eye candy.

I hope a few of you will join me as I am just absolutely giddy that I have finally "mastered" this somewhat.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over on Crazy Aunt Purl's Blog, She has a pattern for the scarf that KnicKnac is describing and it is very well laid out and very easy (great for the beginner).

Here is the link

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2005/06/magic_scarf_a_b_1.php

I have made this and it turns out beautifully. I did it in a chunky (5) yarn with size 11 needles and it was very quick.

BTW - her rolled brim hat recipe is a snap.

I'm on row 21 of my HP scarf when I get to row 27 I have to wait for the yellow yarn to get here before I can move on. I *had* to order yarn because my LYS did not have the butternut yellow recommended for the project. It was so horrible to have to order yarn I bought some lovely sock yarn too ;)

I've been messing around with the basket weave pattern too. I want to get some bulky yarn and larger needles to do this one.

What are you going to do KnicKnac?

I'll join in on this - I already have a scarf on my needles and want to finish it up so this is a great idea. I'm making a pink scarf with Paton's Pooch - I don't have a pattern - I'm just using the knit stitch - it is a poofy yarn so I think that stitch works best.

I want to make a Gryffindor scarf too but have to wait until I have some other WIPs done before I start. Maybe after I finish my Pooch scarf I can start this one:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-wizardScarf.html

Welcome to the CAL disneypal

Since you can never have too many wips. I went ahead and started on the basket weave scarf too. Here's my progress so far with the HP scarf and the basket weave.

462167673_71f6206789_m.jpg

The basket weave makes my head hurt. I really need to learn how to relax when I knit.

Not well, I actually gave up this afternoon. It's not the knitting, it was the yarn. Nope, cannot knit with the yarn I was using, so I frogged it...all 12" of it. It was way too much work.

Ugh

Bummer, just think now you *have to* got yarn shopping ;)

I got farther on my scarf. The xtra yarn you see is some sock yarn I just bought to make socks both knit and crocheted. It's the same stuff showcased in the new sock pattern on crochetme.

473830878_f6a3c6610f_m.jpg

I haven't worked on my scarf at all - I've been working late because I will be out of town next week. I may be able to work on my Pooch scarf tonight. I haven't started my Harry Potter Scarf yet but I did buy the yarn for it.

Hi everyone! Can I join in? I'm on a knitted scarf kick and can't seem to make enough of them. I'm doing a "Good ole Cabled scarf" pattern.

Heres a picture of the first one I made, its pretty short, but long enough for a kid!

4.jpg

I'm now making one in a light baby blue and need to get it done by Tuesday, I know its the wrong time of year for giving away these types of scarfs, but my grad student (that I work with) looked all teary eyed when she saw me knitting last week, she said her mom knits, and i know she hasn't seen her mom in a few years (shes here studying from china, not very close to home) So I figured I'd make her one, but Tuesday is my last day in the lab, so I must get it done!!!

I'll post a picture when I find my camera, I'm about 1/2 way done it now.

Oh, all the scarf pictures posted so far look great!

I'm in! I have a diagonal scarf that is near done (only a corner to complete) and also I am doing a road scarf in Lion Brand Cotton - Ease ('Lake' which is sky blue).

The pattern link for the road scarf is: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70023.html?noImages=0 (I think, a person needed to be registered with Lion Brand site first.)

I am doing the road scarf for my mother as a mother's day gift. I just complete the basketweave stitch and now on the mesh stitch. I can share photos while the scarf is in progress if anyone like. Also I can share a photo of my diagonal scarf when it's complete.

whew... I just made it... I finished the 4 rows of ribbing and binding off basically on the way out the door this morning, but yes I got it done! I'm at work now, but i'll post a picture of it when I get home tonight (around 10:30).

I gave it to my grad student Yun, as a way to say thank you for teaching me so much, and putting up with me for the whole year... she was so happy she was almost in tears. She saw me knitting in the lab a few weeks ago while waiting for my sample to equilibrate (increasing temp 4 deg at a time, and have to let it set for 20 minutes, so a lot of down time) and she told me her mother knits, and that she missed seeing her mother knit (her mom is still in china) So I knew she would like it, but she liked it more than I would have imagined!

Archived