Scarf KAL

sammimag

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My update: I finished the mesh stitch of 1st section and add few more rows of garter stitches. So I estimated that I did about 30 rows tonight. I'm on the roll! I will post a pic when I finished a whole section. I have two more stitches to finish up this section.

Jessica

Your scarf is very pretty and it was so sweet of you to give it to your student. It sounds like she was a very thankful recipient .

It sure looks like a lot harder pattern than I could do ! Maybe someday, though .....:)

I didn't do much on my mother's day scarf. I am working on the mesh stitch, 2nd section.

It was so hot last few days, between 90 - 96 degrees during the days. It's hard to pick it up during the days without sweaty hands. I manage to do few rows at evenings when I have free time this week.

I will try to find time to take/upload a photo of this WIP scarf for this friday's photo day. Good thing, my mother is understanding about it. She hope to receive it soon after mother's day. How are you all doing so far ?

Jessica that scarf is beautiful and what a thoughtful gift.

Welcome new swap members:)

I've done a bit more on my scarf I'm, about ready for the 3rd band of gold.

483081682_b936d5b47b_m.jpg

How is everyone else doing?

Jessica - your scarf turned out beautifully !!

Samantha - love how yours is coming along too - love the colors.

As far as mine - I haven't worked on it at all - just haven't had the time since I've been out of town so much - hopefully will get back to it soon.

Last night, I managed to finish mother's day scarf and have mom look at it. She LOVE it but she want it twice the length. Hehe. I will work more on it, hopefully by friday. I don't have a chance to take a picture. It have to wait until May 25th. I am out of town until then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll like to join in this KAL as well. I just picked up knitting from the knittinghelp website (great videos!). :knit I'm gonna start on Crazy Aunt Purl's magic scarf. Hopefully it won't turn out too ugly with my crappy tension and crappy edges. :D

LOL, I'm sure it will be fine Lis, when I learned from my grandmother, oh 15 years ago, she had me knit scarf after scarf with only like 10 stitches in each row, when I think back on it, I wonder if she knew she was teaching me how to keep my edges even, I think she did.

also some tricks if your edges start to be icky, or if you want a pretty sure fire way to keep them nice, my personal favorite is to slip the last stitch on each row, instead of knitting it, this keeps it a lot tighter, I think the biggest problem is typically the last stitch is too loose and so it buldges out.

another tip if you don't just want to slip it is to knit the first and last stitch of each row, either by adding on 2 stitches to the pattern or just by adjusting it, so that even if it says to purl it, you knit it.

Hope those tips help you out a bit.

I've just started on a cabled scarf in cranberry, might be a little slow going since I also have a knit blanket on the hooks, and a baby hat...

I'll post pictures when I have something worth showing!

hello

i want to thank julie she is the one that told me about the knitting groups and today i joined

i`m thinikg of colorful scarf with basket stich made by stashes so it will be fun easy and girly look what do you think???

Welcome new Scarfers:)

I like the wave scarf! I'd like to make on like it but do it length ways.

I'm still plugging away at the Harry Potter Scarf I'm up to 5 bands of solid color but several more to go. It's my brainless project. I take when I want to chat and not think about a pattern. I've been distracted knitting and crochet dishcloths/washcloths.

I started a basket weave scarf using bulky yarn but I'm not liking the look and not sure what to do. My plan was to make it for my Dad. I realize don't like the looks of bulky yarns. So I need to rethink it. I might need to get some nice WW yarn and start again. I may look for a nice cable too. I want to learn cables if start now it might be done for Christmas.

Well, after a couple of practice items, I am pretty well decided now to go ahead and get started to work on a scarf. Or at least try to work at it. :lol I have a dark red and a gold colored yarn hanging out in my stash, and it wants to be a Harry Potter scarf. I was going to make a dishcloth as my first knitted item since it's a nice small project, but the cotton is too frustrating - no yield to it at all! So we'll see how the acrylic goes...

I guess that means I'm in.

:hook

oops, hook habit --

:knit:yarn

amantha do you know any cable patterns??? if you don`t maybe we could help

i`ll say something i wish it will be encourgeing to all of knitters

once i learned crocheting i hatted knitting i thought it`s difficult and boring

then suddenlly i wanted to learn

i opned the web < searched for directions to knit and now i can knit , purl , make cables,bind off , decrease , increase and several stiches

that is so cool for self teaching

i just said i know i can do it and it worked ;)

sorry for long chatting

LOL, I'm sure it will be fine Lis, when I learned from my grandmother, oh 15 years ago, she had me knit scarf after scarf with only like 10 stitches in each row, when I think back on it, I wonder if she knew she was teaching me how to keep my edges even, I think she did.

also some tricks if your edges start to be icky, or if you want a pretty sure fire way to keep them nice, my personal favorite is to slip the last stitch on each row, instead of knitting it, this keeps it a lot tighter, I think the biggest problem is typically the last stitch is too loose and so it buldges out.

another tip if you don't just want to slip it is to knit the first and last stitch of each row, either by adding on 2 stitches to the pattern or just by adjusting it, so that even if it says to purl it, you knit it.

Hope those tips help you out a bit.

I've just started on a cabled scarf in cranberry, might be a little slow going since I also have a knit blanket on the hooks, and a baby hat...

I'll post pictures when I have something worth showing!

Jessica, thanks for the tips! My edges are so loose I can stuff chickens into them. :P A teeny question, if I'm to slip the last stitch, do I have to add another stitch to the pattern just for the slipping or it's really up to me? Also, I only slip the last stitch? No need to slip the first stitch? Okay, that was more than one teeny question. Hope I'm making sense. :D

After re-watching the Knittinghelp videos, I realised I've been doing my knit stitch wrong. I've been knitting into the back loop instead of the front but my purl stitches are correct. :think Man, I'm hopeless. :blush

Another thing I noticed about knitting, frogging is so painful! :eek

I usually slip the first stitch myself or I have rather than the last. I also just tighten up when I start/end each row and that helps. I might add cast on more stitches more total stitches but you don't need to add stitches as you knit.

I don't have a cable pattern picked out yet. I do have one of Barbara Walker's pattern books checked out from the library right now so I plan to look into that one. I kind of like that one on the LB site. Do you think it would work for my dad?

Archived