Have been helping Dad in his final leg of his journey home sooooo....

haven't been on in a few days - I am exhausted as my dh and I do shifts back and forth at the nursing home - today was the first time I got to crochet there - and it really calmed my nerves. You see my mom and dad are in the same room and Mom is quite debilitated with Parkinson's and also has dementia. So it is rather interesting in there at times - but tonight had a calm spot in it and Dad and Mom were looking peaceful and comfy so out came a random granny square to work off the anxieties.

Please keep me and fam in your good thoughts and prayers as my brothers side of the family is as "caringly uninvolved" as they can be - meaning that at the right times they gush the right remarks but where are they now???

His 2 "kids" are 21 and 23 and are at home and don't work except to take care of horses (4). My SIL doesn't work either... I think they will regret someday the time they DID NOT TAKE with their grandfather and grandmother - they live closer to the nursing home than I !

OK I will quit rambling but it is real darn frustrating to think that those kids only are exposed to the joyful things in life and not the sorrowful things that come with life too! You can't live in a bubble!

I need sleep - tomorrow will be a better day!

Thanks Ladies (& gents)

Oh, my. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I've always thought it takes a very strong person to do what you've been doing. I'm the type that can't handle seeing people in hospitals, especially if their health is so deteriorated that they'll soon be going home. I guess it is a bit selfish, but it's more about not wanting to remember them that way than it is about avoiding sorrow in general. On the other hand, I know that must put a big burden on those do have the courage and strength to sit by the bedsides. You and your family will be in my prayers. :hug

If your brother's family has a genuine aversion to making that visit, might there be some other things you could ask them to do to make things easier for you (run your errands, etc.) as you continue to meet this need?

I know where you're at. I've been there, too. Enjoy the quiet and peaceful moments. I know it's difficult but I promise - there will be lots of time for you to be unhappy with relative's behaivors - don't waste the energy on it now.

My heart goes out to you and in years to come you'll find peace in your heart because you were the one that was there.

~Michele

I will pray for you and for a peaceful home-going for your dad. You are blessed that you can see what is good for him rather than what you would like.

A clear conscience makes a soft pillow. You have this time as a memory that will be cherished. Your care and time mean more than you can know.

I completely understand what you're going through. My parents were in 2 different nursing homes in 2 different states.

I am sorry for what you are going through. It is a really hard situation. Dharski is so right about "a clear conscience." Later when others may have pangs of guilt about what they should have done, you will be at peace knowing you did your best in the situation.

Archived