TURTLE pattern anyone???

Hi has anyone seen or have a stuffed turtle pattern -- I gave away a book of children's patterns that included patterns for various stuffed animals and one was of a turtle -

As I remember the turtle's shell was made of hexagon motifs (like little granny squares only hexagon shaped) of light and dark green -- it was so cute and I would love to find it -

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help with this!!!!

~shuttlebuggy~

I made my own turtle design once. I might still have it. I might have one from the 70's. It covered a small butter tub with beans in it for a kids rattle toy. You could just stuff it instead. If you made some small hexagons, a circle for the bottom and head, legs, tail, I think you could get a cute turtle.

Ellie 13

I made my own turtle design once. I might still have it. I might have one from the 70's. It covered with a small butter tub with beans in it for a kids rattle toy. You could just stuff it instead. If you made some small hexagons, a circle for the bottom and head, legs, tail, I think you could get a cute turtle.

Ellie 13

I had that 70's pattern that was made over a margarine tub but lost it . I think it was in a Woman's Day magazine. I would love to get that pattern again.

I've been looking for my turtle patterns, if I find it I'll let you know. I think you're right about the magazine. I'm trying to work out a hexagon pattern. I like designing my own stuff. It keeps me from getting bored.

Ellie 13

Those tiny turtles were sooo cute! I am going to make some -- and the butter tub one sounds adorable too!

I may just have to make the turtle pattern up as best I can but I know the shell looked like it was made of whole hexagons and some 1/2 ones around it's base. I believe the hexagons were about 3-4 inches in diameter basically -- guess I will have to put my "thinking" cap on and get to this! I am also going to put out the word on the Seeking Patterns portion of the site too - thanks everyone!;)

Mary

I've been looking for my turtle patterns, if I find it I'll let you know. I think you're right about the magazine. I'm trying to work out a hexagon pattern. I like designing my own stuff. It keeps me from getting bored.

Ellie 13

Thanks Ellie I really would appreciate it.

I love both turtles! Soooo cute! I found my own pattern, but not the one with the butter tub yet. I tried making one with hexagons, not good. Someone said I should use pentagons (like a soccer ball?). I'll try it and see what I get. I'm not sure if I can attach my pattern (too long to type). I can send copies if anyone PM's a snail (lol) mail address.

Ellie 13

Do you remember the name of the book, or what else was in it? Because I have (copies of) a book or booklet, it had a turtle with one big hexagon in the middle, then ? regular granny squares all around. It was called 'Toys to Knit and Crochet' by Coats and Clark... ??

I also had made up a hexagon type turtle pattern a few years ago. I will have to dig it out and type it up someday...

Is it your own pattern you made up, Ellie? You could just post it in the 'Original Patterns' section, and put a link in to it. It sounds cute.

Tina

My turtles are kind of cute, but I'm new to Crochetville (March 06) and I don't know how to post links or if I'm allowed to. I've only been using internet for about 3 (4?) years, I've never posted anything but what's in here. If I can, I'll try it.

Ellie 13

Hi has anyone seen or have a stuffed turtle pattern -- I gave away a book of children's patterns that included patterns for various stuffed animals and one was of a turtle -

As I remember the turtle's shell was made of hexagon motifs (like little granny squares only hexagon shaped) of light and dark green -- it was so cute and I would love to find it -

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help with this!!!!

~shuttlebuggy~

***, I remember this turtle!! He was adorable!!:manyheart I don't remember which book his pattern was in, but I remember there was also an elephant in the book and I had made the elephant. I had TRIED to make the turtle, but this was twenty years ago or more and I wasn't as well-versed in crochet as I am now and was having a devil of a time trying to make the motifs that comprised his shell, so I gave up and went on to something that I didn't have a problem with. I had thought, however, that the pattern was in a magazine and not a book, if it's the same turtle. Maybe it's not the same, but it was still cute!

Elle

I found a book I have it is titled "7 Animals to Crochet in Heavy Rug Yarn", by Jean Leinhauser. The animals are a Pig, Lion, Mexican Burro, Elephant, Alligator, Giraffe and Turtle. They are made with Granny Squares that measure no more than 2 1/2". The book says American Thread book 401, if that helps anyone.

I haven' had a chance to get back to the 'ville for awhile. I'll try to get on at least twice a week. Anyone who wants one of my turtle patterns that I designed can have a copy if they PM a snail mail address. I designed these myself (1 small, 1 large). The pattern should be for your own use, but you can give/sell any you make, just give me credit when people ask.

Ellie 13

"Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies," by Jane Davis has a pattern for a 10-inch turtle. The back is made from 6 granny 5-sided (pentagon) motifs, and one large one as the underside. The grannies on top are yellow, light green, sage green and light brown, underside is yellow, head and legs are light green. Very cute. I just bought this book about a year ago, so it's probably still available in stores or in the library. (I have this page dog-eared because someday I'm going to make this turtle for my grandson.)

• 1 month later...
Thanks Ellie I really would appreciate it.

I found the turtle made over a butter tub! It's in Woman's Day, Feb. 1974 listed under Found Money in the table of contents. You might be able to find it in a big city library (it's at Boston Public Library) I photo copied it and added a few notes as I workd on one.

Ellie 13

I just got that book on Ebay last month. It has a lot of cute patterns in the book. The turtle in the book looks more realistic, at least I think.

Carol:hook

"Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies," by Jane Davis has a pattern for a 10-inch turtle. The back is made from 6 granny 5-sided (pentagon) motifs, and one large one as the underside. The grannies on top are yellow, light green, sage green and light brown, underside is yellow, head and legs are light green. Very cute. I just bought this book about a year ago, so it's probably still available in stores or in the library. (I have this page dog-eared because someday I'm going to make this turtle for my grandson.)

Archived