To those of you with an edgery-doo....

I got my edgery-doo for Christmas! Now I need to make the piercing pad. The directions recommend using ceiling tiles, but I checked, and the stores around me will only sell ceiling tiles by the case. I don't want to buy a whole case. :no

If you have an edgery-doo, what are you using for a piercing pad? :think

If you found ceiling tiles sold individually, where did you find them? :think

Maybe a thick, largish styrofoam piece? ...I haven't really checked into that yet. I thought I'd ask for some advice from people who have the edgery-doo and are using it successfully.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Judy

I got one for Christmas too !!! I'm going to use some styrofoam insulation sheets. They're about an inch thick. The one we had was 4 x 8 so DH cut it to size for me. We bought it from our local lumber yard and I think it was about $10. I've seen smaller sheets at Lowes and Home Depot.

what about 2 mouse pads held together

No, sorry, that wouldn't work. This is an edgery-doo: http://www.edgerydoo.com When you pierce the fabric, you have to have something giving (yet supportive) for the pegs to go into. Thanks for trying, though...

Krzykajun, the styrofoam insulation sheet might work! Thanks! I asked a lady at Lowe's if they sold styrofoam sheets, and she told me they didn't...but she probably didn't know about the insulation. I'll have to call them and see what I can find out. I did check at WalMart, but the only pieces they had were small.

Any other ideas out there? ;)

how about a cork board? For blocking my doilies I use a foam type board that I got in hobby lobby (somewhere) I think it was with teh framing stuff but not really sure.

If what you are looking for is some kind of pad to cut an awl into then there's a lot of surfaces you can use including a bar of soap if you are really hard up.

But a sheet of foam core could probably be a good disposable solution (it comes in double thicknesses). Or maybe a serious peice of styrofoam (personally, I think a good thick cork board would be a better option). Or go the biology route and use a thick slab of wax - that way when you fill it up with holes all you need to do is melt the wax a little and BAM you got a fresh new surface. Balsa wood maybe?

A cork board would probably work, but might be expensive for the size we'd need....

Soap wouldn't work. Too small and very likely it wouldn't be perfectly flat, either....

Wax wouldn't work, either - unless I had some kind of huge flat mold to pour it into.

The olfa mat isn't giving. The pegs have to go down into the pad, so that wouldn't work...

I don't know what foam core is...but it sounds promising... Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and it's the sheet of foam insulation Krzykajun mentioned?

I'll check on foam insulation sheets and foam core today. That could be the solution!

Thanks everybody! :D I'm looking forward to using my new tool! I have the fleece, the yarn, and the edgery-doo....all I need is the piercing pad! :clap

I'd go to a carpet store and ask if they've got any small pieces left over that are slated for those great bare floorboards in the sky, or even just grab a cheapie welcome mat from WalMart. Carpet's resilient enough that it should last through several piercings. I'd use the back side of a shaggy-type carpet, or either side of those mats that look like felted bristle.

Brae

I got some of those dense foam boogie boards from the Dollar store (for a dollar). Of course, I doubt they would be selling them now (unless you're in Florida), but if you could find one of those it would work well.

I also have an old macrame board which would work, plus that has a grid on it which would be helpful to keep your work straight.

Joan

Hi. You mentioned Lowe's in your post. Lowe's is where my husband bought my Sound Board. It is in the insulation section and a 4x8 sheet is $8. They cut it for him. In another post, I had said that it was Home Depot but he told me tonight that it was Lowe's. You are correct about the alignment pins having to be in something sturdy that will hold. I got mine in November and I have been making blankets like crazy. If you cannot find the sound board at Lowe's, then in my area Home Depot sells the ceiling tiles individually.

Rose

Thanks everybody!

I got a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 inch thick styrofoam today at Lowe's. I cut it into thirds, and it's still plenty big! I may even cut it a little smaller....

I'm going to tape all the pieces together to make one thick mat.

It only cost about $10, and I'm almost ready to try my edgery-doo!

I appreciate all the suggestions!:manyheart

Judy

If you want a ceiling tile or two why not try http://www.freecycle.com and go to the one in your town. It is amazing what people have in the basement or garage that they would be willing to give away for free. I bet there would be someone with one or two you could get.

Carol

My DH got me a piece of foam insulation board. He cut it 24 x 24 so it would fit on my worktable and we covered it entirely with duct tape and it works great. This way I can just recover it with the duct tape and use it for a long time.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Thanks everybody! I'm sure duct tape over the styrofoam would work, but the Edgerydoo people suggested putting some cardboard over the styrofoam insulation, and it worked great!

I've punched my holes and I'm ready to start crocheting! :clap I'll post a pic in the baby section when it's done!

Of course I have 5 other WIPs, so I can't promise how fast I'll get it posted...:blush

not a edgerydoo owner but considered to be a "problem solver"....what about the thick foam you use for making cushions you can get at fabric stores? or would that not give the stability for the holding pins?

No, that wouldn't be firm enough - the fleece would poke right down into it. Regular styrofoam is firmer than the cushion stuff, and it poked down into that, so I know it wouldn't work.

But the problem is solved, in any case - see the post above yours...I put a piece of cardboard over my styrofoam insulation sheets and it worked great. :clap

Thanks for trying!

Just to clarify - foam core is the posterboard we all wish we had when we were kids. It's basically a 1/4" peice of dense styrofoam-like-stuff between two peices of heavy paper or poster board. It's the same size as your child's poster board paper, but it's rigid. Poking holes in it can be a challenge sometimes (that coating paper is tough stuff), but it's strong, light weight, and dirt cheap. For a few more pennies you can get double thick foam core - though I've only seen it once. It also comes in colors, but that's more of a speciality item.

• 14 years later...
On 12/28/2006 at 7:11 PM, happy stitcher said:

No, sorry, that wouldn't work. This is an edgery-doo: http://www.edgerydoo.com When you pierce the fabric, you have to have something giving (yet supportive) for the pegs to go into. Thanks for trying, though...

Krzykajun, the styrofoam insulation sheet might work! Thanks! I asked a lady at Lowe's if they sold styrofoam sheets, and she told me they didn't...but she probably didn't know about the insulation. I'll have to call them and see what I can find out. I did check at WalMart, but the only pieces they had were small.

Any other ideas out there? ;)

the website you mentioned is in chinese (no english translation), do you know where else it can be purchased?

Clatindancer, the post you are referencing is 15 years old, it's possible the site domain name owner might have changed since then. 

Also the poster Happystitcher hasn't visited Crochetville since 2019. 

Meanwhile you might try googling a  'skip stitch blade edging rotary cutter' or some combination of those words, Typing 'Edgerydoo' into Amazon.com yields other brands of skip blade edging tools, maybe another company bought them out some time back.