Crocheting The Way Out of Chronic Pain

think positive thoughts! I am not sure what you are facing, but I hope the results are encouraging! I hope that the people who are shoving you into those machines are trying to make it a good experience, i am an xray tech and know what kind of anxiety you are having. i just hope that those who are caring for you are being kind! my thoughts are with you and hope all goes well.

ashleigh....sorry you had a bad day...mine was kind of slow so it makes it long!hope today is better

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
think positive thoughts! I am not sure what you are facing, but I hope the results are encouraging! I hope that the people who are shoving you into those machines are trying to make it a good experience, i am an xray tech and know what kind of anxiety you are having. i just hope that those who are caring for you are being kind! my thoughts are with you and hope all goes well.

It's been MRI machines I'm getting pushed into. They've been pretty nice to me so far. I'm getting another MRI today. I'm not too excited about that. I'm claustrophobic. The claustrophobia wasnt too bad when I had an MRI last friday, but they didnt have to strap me down for that one. They warned me that they're going to do that for part of today's MRI. I may be using that panic button today.

I'm hoping that nothing will be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good.

Ashleigh - I have had fibro for about 15 years now - I injured my neck at work and it actually activated Fibro in my body.

That fog your referring to I have felt many many times - I have found that I had to SLOW down and make sure I took naps (your body is telling you your tired and your not getting the proper REM sleep).

I've had brain fog so bad I couldn't see properly.

You just need to take some times and give into the fibro and REST your body.

Best to you - I know when I'm dealing with that much fatigue I can't crochet at all - I just have to give in and rest rest rest.

Hugs

Lois, Proud Army Wife and Veteran

:hug :hug :hug :hug to everyone on this thread

My bf's stepmom has Fibro, and asked me to teach her to crochet at thanksgiving so she'd have something to do while she's stuck in bed. But she was too sick at thanksgiving to try it, and now bf and his parents are feuding and I can't go over.

I dropped off a learn to crochet kit with book, hooks, various findings and some yarn. Maybe when she's having a good day I hope she can give it a go.

I have an autoimmune thyroid disease, hashimoto's and I also suffered from the brain fog until my thyroid levels were raised. Ask your doctor to test your thyroid and thyroid antibody levels, they may well be off. The bad thing about autoimmune diseases is that they set you up for another part of your body to suffer from one.

I use Armour thyroid which is all natural, made from pigs thyroid glands and it made alot of difference for me in the way my mind works. I haven't put the mixer in the fridge for a very long time~!

Lorry

Elvee, my thyroid is actually at the right level. And also, you may want to have your doctor keep an eye on your blood tests and other symptoms. The main mistake that's made with lupus(auto immune disease) is an inital Hashimoto's or Grave's disease diagnosis. My mom had her thyroid killed with with I-131 radioactive iodine. She is now working with a consistant level of synthetic thyroid, as she found out she is allergic to natural.

However, I should probably go get my thyroid stimulating antibody tested just in case.

Thanks for the advice!

erin, have your doctor subscribe you a tranqlizer, if you have panic attacks from being claustraphobic then you will defiently benifit from some meds, i also am claustrophobic and i had to take it, it helped alot. good luck, think positive, and just deal with what you have when you find out. i know its hard and scary, but i will keep you in my prayers sweetie. hang in there. hugs

It's been MRI machines I'm getting pushed into. They've been pretty nice to me so far. I'm getting another MRI today. I'm not too excited about that. I'm claustrophobic. The claustrophobia wasnt too bad when I had an MRI last friday, but they didnt have to strap me down for that one. They warned me that they're going to do that for part of today's MRI. I may be using that panic button today.

I'm hoping that nothing will be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good.

The only disease I now have is the hashimoto's. I am tested for everything else as it is common for auto immune diseases to come in clumps. I did have a bad swing with my thyroid last spring and now am on full replacement dose.

Alot of people do well on Synthroid, but I don't convert so it didn't work for me. Also alot of people can't tollerate the fillers in the natural thyroid.

The TSH test wouldn't tell you anything much if you have Hashimoto's, it is the antibodies the mess you up. They can be causing all sorts of problems and your TSH will be in the normal range.

Of all the crazy diseases I have no idea why this one was bestowed upon me!!!

Lorry

erin, have your doctor subscribe you a tranqlizer, if you have panic attacks from being claustraphobic then you will defiently benifit from some meds, i also am claustrophobic and i had to take it, it helped alot. good luck, think positive, and just deal with what you have when you find out. i know its hard and scary, but i will keep you in my prayers sweetie. hang in there. hugs

I did my MRI yesterday drug free. It wasnt all that bad...they put me in head first (it was an "open" MRI) but that end of the machine was right next to a big floor-to-ceiling-wall-to-wall window. So if I looked "up" (behind me) I could see light from outside and occasionally see people and cars going past.

The MRI went ok until about halfway thru. I needed to use the potty...then the tech came in and gave me the contrast solution in my arm. Interesting side effect to the contrast is that it makes some people have to go potty...so pretty much the last half hour of the MRI was torture. I was about to use the panic button when the tech said over the speaker that I had 3 minutes. Then he did a countdown for me about every 30 seconds. I think he could tell I was about to use the panic button and then go nuts. As soon as it was over, he came running into the room and released me as fast as he could. (crisis averted)

At least I dont look like a drug addict with track marks all over my arms this week. Last week's MRI they had to poke me a bazillion times because my one good vein had been massacred by a nurse during a blood draw the day before. This week my vein was back to normal and the guy only had to poke me once to get the contrast in my arm.

I asked for copies of last weeks report and the front desk girl gave me that AND a CD with my MRI images on it! She said the CD wouldnt work in my computer. She was wrong! It did work. (I could see my brain! I have proof that I have one now! and I have proof that I'm not a spineless goober either...saw my spine too!)

Curiousity had gotten the better of me and I put it in the computer to see if it would work. It was kind of cool, and a wee bit creepy to see images of my inside bits.

Of course I have no idea what the images mean. The first MRI from friday is the only one I know anything about (that's the one I have the radiology report for), so I looked at it and using a schematic of a human spine from the internet, I could see what they were looking at on it. (I counted the vertebrae to find the one they were looking at)

Hopefully the MRI scans I had yesterday (they did two) will tell them what they need to know (and that it will be good instead of bad or "inconclusive") I'm just sitting here, staring at my cellphone, waiting for the doctor to call me.

Hmmm... I also have lupus and Hashimotos. It takes the average lupus patient 7 years to get diagnosed! That is really sad. I was tortured and misdiagnosed that long as well. I hate to tell you this, but you sound like a lupie patient. The ONLY doctor qualified to diagnose lupus is a rheumatologist. And only some rheumatologists are really specialized enough with lupus. Ask around. Make sure you are seeing the right doctor.

By the way, when I was diagnosed, my doctor got mad because I was such an obvious case and no one had ever referred me to a rheumatologist.

I just joined this forum today and was searching for an answer on adjusting a pattern to a larger yarn and saw the words "chronic pain". I too am suffering from fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and ebstein barr. I was diagnosed about two years ago and I am convinced that I have had it for years. The brain fog and pain is sometime unbearable. I have projects up the kazoo and have such a hard time getting them finished. My body usually is in an all or nothing mode. I am on all sorts of supplements and some medications. The situation is a major bummer! There is a good site out there for additional information on fibro & chronic fatigue it's: www.immunesupport.com , I have been able to do a lot of research from that site. I now receive complete disability due to my health. I would much rather be working and have a normal life. Again, I was so surprised to see the word fibromyalgia I about fell off of my chair.

I did have a question about changing the weight of a yarn in an afghan. I know if I use the "Mile A Minute" pattern I can figure it out but is there any chart or formula that can be used rather than laboring over trying to figure it out. With the fibro fog my brain just goes into blow out.

I wish all of you out there with any chronic pain relief and good days!

I was just reading about numbness and paresthesias and dysthesias. (I've had numbness in my hip since April. It's constant and never goes away, but lessens occasionally)

Apparently numbness is considered "pain". Weird...because numbness makes me think "absence of pain", but apparently strange sensations like numbness and dysthesias are considered to be pain...even neurogenic itching (itching caused by a misfiring nerve, not by an outside cause) is considered to be pain.

Wow...I never realized that I'm a chronic pain sufferer.

Hopefully no one here has ever experienced numbness due to weirdness in their central nervous system. (imagine getting novocaine in your mouth from your dentist...that's my hip, but it never goes away)

I think I'd rather feel "real" pain. At least real pain is a familiar sensation...the numbness is just too weird and gosh-is-it-ever-annoying!

At least my problem has just been with sensory numbness and not been a problem with actual movement or anything like that (at least so far) It's only been within the last few months that it's gotten so disturbing to me that it's cutting into my enjoyment of crocheting.

I do have pain in my lower back (which, might be related to the sensory numbness). This would be why I had 2 mri's within the last week. I think they're trying to figure out if both problems are related.

Elvee, just out of curiousity, how many times a day do you take your thyroid?

Also, huckee, it is really confusing to switch to different weights. When I'm working on something that I want to change weights on, I just go up one size or down one on my hook with the yarn I'm using. (IE: If I go from Worsted Weight to bulky weight, I bump up the crochet hook size)

Stichin pick, my mom went for 10 years without being officially diagnosed. Her doctor was angry because her previous rheumotologist had referred her to a psychologist. I am seeing one of the best rheumotologists in the state of Utah. I'm hoping he begins to notice the symptoms that have come up recently.

I was just reading about numbness and paresthesias and dysthesias. (I've had numbness in my hip since April. It's constant and never goes away, but lessens occasionally)

Apparently numbness is considered "pain". Weird...because numbness makes me think "absence of pain", but apparently strange sensations like numbness and dysthesias are considered to be pain...even neurogenic itching (itching caused by a misfiring nerve, not by an outside cause) is considered to be pain.

Wow...I never realized that I'm a chronic pain sufferer.

Hopefully no one here has ever experienced numbness due to weirdness in their central nervous system. (imagine getting novocaine in your mouth from your dentist...that's my hip, but it never goes away)

I think I'd rather feel "real" pain. At least real pain is a familiar sensation...the numbness is just too weird and gosh-is-it-ever-annoying!

At least my problem has just been with sensory numbness and not been a problem with actual movement or anything like that (at least so far) It's only been within the last few months that it's gotten so disturbing to me that it's cutting into my enjoyment of crocheting.

I do have pain in my lower back (which, might be related to the sensory numbness). This would be why I had 2 mri's within the last week. I think they're trying to figure out if both problems are related.

That sounds like what I get in my feet and at the base of my neck and how I described it too, as a "Novocaine-y" feeling, my doctor called it Periphial Neuropathy, it's when the nerve ending get damaged for some reason and there are alot of different causes for it, anywhere from as minor as a vitamin deficiency to as severe as Multiple Sclerosis (it can happen if constantly sit in the same position for extremely long periods of time and not move, stretch, or change sitting position often also, but that depends on circumstances too). I am being tested for all of it, they drew an awful lot of blood for the test, I'll be finding out the results on the 8th. I also get bizarre muscle twitching, the twitching can be so strong that you can see it happening and it happens in my arms, legs, hands and face, it feels really weird.

That sounds like what I get in my feet and at the base of my neck and how I described it too, as a "Novocaine-y" feeling, my doctor called it Periphial Neuropathy, it's when the nerve ending get damaged for some reason and there are alot of different causes for it, anywhere from as minor as a vitamin deficiency to as severe as Multiple Sclerosis (it can happen if constantly sit in the same position for extremely long periods of time and not move, stretch, or change sitting position often also, but that depends on circumstances too). I am being tested for all of it, they drew an awful lot of blood for the test, I'll be finding out the results on the 8th. I also get bizarre muscle twitching, the twitching can be so strong that you can see it happening and it happens in my arms, legs, hands and face, it feels really weird.

I find out the results of my blood tests on the 8th too! They drew blood to test for Lyme (since I remember tick bites AND a rash), and they're also checking my blood titers for Epstein-Barr and Cytomegalovirus (viruses that cause Mononucleosis...which I've had) and a bunch of other stuff. I think they may also be checking me for a b-12 deficiency.

I've also had some vertigo and earaches...not sure if that's got anything to do with any weird neurological stuff (well, the vertigo could, not sure about the earaches)

Good luck to everyone on their blood tests! I hope everything turns out okay!!!!

No news on this end. I've got a cold that I'm worried is going to turn into a flu. (crossing fingers). I've gotten farther into my mom's throw blanket, and have plans to begin on a large project throughout the year this upcoming year.

I have had a good day....went to a prayer shawl get together today....

started another one. am a little worried because i didnt refill one of my meds and the pharmacy is closed until tues. i have enough for 2 days.....i think i will be fine. it is the one that helps me sleep....

good luck to all with their results, ashleigh feed that cold and all have a great new year!

I've also had some vertigo and earaches...not sure if that's got anything to do with any weird neurological stuff (well, the vertigo could, not sure about the earaches)

Your ears are used for balance so anything wrong with your ears could cause vertigo and earaches.

Your ears are used for balance so anything wrong with your ears could cause vertigo and earaches.

I know, but other causes of vertigo could be neurological in nature. Since I've had a couple of apparent neurological problems lately (optic neuritis in the left eye, numbness in the right leg and hip) I'm worried that the vertigo that I've gotten off and on for the past 10yrs could just be another symptom of whatever the heck it is that's screwing around with my body lately.

Tonight I am so tired... I dont know if I'm feeling so exhausted because I've had a lot of stress this week with having a couple of MRI's (the second one was done because they saw something in the first one they wanted a better look at) or maybe I'm just tired because of the weather (it's raining outside right now, and will probably turn to snow tonight) Maybe it's a combination of a lot of things...stress, weather, christmas.

Whatever it is, I'm getting tired of this. (pun intended)

Last time I felt this tired was just before (and just after) I came down with mononucleosis about 11yrs ago. I was sick for 2 or 3 months with mono, and it took me a year to get over being sick for so long.

Today I got up at about 10am and felt like I hadnt gotten any sleep. Sat around doing nothing until about 5pm when I decided to go wash my hair for the first time in 3 days. Felt a little better after that, but now I'm super tired again. It's almost like a total exhaustion feeling, except that I dont want to sleep. I just dont want to move around or do much.

I want to crochet, but just cant figure out what I want to make. I keep frogging everything. Maybe I should go back to drinking caffeinatted drinks... (gave up caffeine back when my vision problem started)

well... I found out the results of my MRI...and the only reason I'm able to type right now is because of the magic of Lorazepam (Rx sedative/anti-anxiety pill)

I'm not a happy camper...I have to go to a neuro on monday.

I set my blog settings to moderated so that if anyone tries to post there about this, I can intercept the messages, since several of my family members read my blog and I havent told them yet about the problems I've been having.

It just drives me nuts that this is happening now. I've finally got a boyfriend...there was finally some hope that I might get married and have kids...now I'm not so sure of that. Not sure that the boyfriend will want to still be my boyfriend, and I'm not so sure I want to have kids now.

Time to go take another Lorazepam...I hate anxiety.

at least now I know that I'm not nuts...the doctors that told me I was a hypochondriac are the nutty ones...

well... I found out the results of my MRI...and the only reason I'm able to type right now is because of the magic of Lorazepam (Rx sedative/anti-anxiety pill)

I'm not a happy camper...I have to go to a neuro on monday.

I set my blog settings to moderated so that if anyone tries to post there about this, I can intercept the messages, since several of my family members read my blog and I havent told them yet about the problems I've been having.

It just drives me nuts that this is happening now. I've finally got a boyfriend...there was finally some hope that I might get married and have kids...now I'm not so sure of that. Not sure that the boyfriend will want to still be my boyfriend, and I'm not so sure I want to have kids now.

Time to go take another Lorazepam...I hate anxiety.

at least now I know that I'm not nuts...the doctors that told me I was a hypochondriac are the nutty ones...

sending good thoughts and prayers your way sweetie. god bless and keep you in his LOVING HEALING HANDS:manyheart :manyheart

I have been living with chronic back pain for over 3 years now. Diagnosed with Degenerative Disk Disease, Arthritis and Sciatica. The dr's have tried all kinds of anti inflamitories and the best they do is take the edge off things and then after a month or so upset my stomach like crazy. I have been using percosets for the pain when it gets so bad I can't stand it any more. I crochet when I can but can only sit or stand for short periods of time. I love to work with threads and used to be able to sit and crochet all day long if I felt like it. Now I crochet for 10 to 15 minutes at a time and I appreciate the work I get done much more because it takes such an effort to do it.

I do understand the way crochet makes you relax. It is such a wonderful thing to produce something so lovely out of a ball of thread or yarn.

Carol

I have only just seen this thread, I've been away for a while.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you people who are suffering, but am glad that you all take some comfort in your crocheting.

Erin, I hope it all goes well for you, and that your new man is strong enough to be at your side through all your difficulties.

Though I have nothing like any of you, I did begin crochet for two reasons. Firstly, to give up smoking, I needed something in my hands to distract me. Then later on I developed arthritis in my wrists, and my doctor recommended I keep crocheting to keep my joints flexible. Though it hurts to crochet, I continue to do it to keep myself distracted from smoking, and to keep my joints at the point where they can still move.

Hugs to you all.

Archived