Bedspread Bonanza

JulieKay

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmie Lu Im glad you got your crochet back. I bet you were relieved and couldnt wait to do some.

I went to your website. I really like the lap robe and the scarf. Also I like the texas quilt you are doing its going to look good on your bed.

Morning ladies

It looks like we still have some life left in here. this is going to be such a big,ongoing project that it will take lots of willpower to keep the posts going and the interest up .

Mel- I'll chime in with everyone else-- what is the cast for ? Hope you are ok .

Good going, Jimmie ! Glad you got your hooks back . Bet you'll never pull THAT stunt again !

Tabby- it's ok, I have so many things on the BACK burners, there aint any more room back there . :lol

Howdy Wendy

Thanks for asking about Cam-- yes, he is much better, but still has a hacking cough. We have all had that junk this winter - it lasts for weeks.

Morning Ladies

Sorry ive been slack but been packing and getting things sorted out.Glad everyone is doing great on their BS.

Now a question?? I caved and im working on the casablanca along with me BS...its the only 2 im worring aboout right now :P Now for the question...should i sew them together as i go or wait till i have them all done??Im doing like Julie said and just doing one at a time(im up to 109 of them little suckers)

Allso should i move to the Quilt-Along for this one or just talk about both here??

Glad you got your hooks back Jimmie

Hi, everybody! I'm going to try again to post a picture here. These are of my striped popcorn BS. It's shown on a queen-size bed. Oops! This is bigger than I meant it to be. Will get it right next time. DCP_0955.jpg

This is a close up of the stitches. It's one row of popcorns, one row of single crochet, & 4 rows of shell stitch per stripe. There will be a set of border rows around the whole thing when it is done.

DCP_0956.jpg

Glad to here that you've got your hooks back Jimmy. Saw the picture of the scarf - very nice! Where's your head/face?

Julie - Glad to hear that Cam is doing so much better.

Shay - well, you can do it however you want. but I usually make the squares all first, then put them all together with my handy-dandy method .

Also, feel free to post here, there or everywhere. I don't mind you posting here or there about your projects -- they are welcome in both places !

Linda- very pretty ! I like it a lot . :c9

Howdy Ines- glad to see you in here today . :)

Linda that looks very nice.:yay I havent done popcorn stitch before, is it hard to do. The colors look great together.

Julie what is your handy dandy method to sew them together. Have you told me this before.

Shay- Im looking forward to seeing some pics of your and how you are going. What colors did you choose. I too am doing the casablanca and am using dark pink, light pink and white. I sew them as I go

Good Morning to you all or is it evening/afternoon? I have been busy doing the yarn shuffle ... trying to tidy the stash I have and hoping that I come up with a way of storing it so that I make some room and have some order. At intervals I close myself in my bedroom and crochet as it is very, very hot and humid. I am trying to complete a WIP that I started a while ago as I cannot get any red variegated for the one I was making. I must not even consider any more yarn for a while... I have enough to last me for some time. I must make a vow to use what I have and play with the colours that are in my stash. ( I will only buy the red variegated to finish the one I have on the go):lol

When I can I try and do some dusting and cleaning... the guy next door renovated and stirred up layers of dust when he was escavating for his pool... I should ask him to come and clean.

I have 2 more weeks holidays before I return to school so I really must get a move to get my house in order before then.

Happy crocheting

I find it very difficult Wendy as the yarn does not "flow" . I am sure that even the hook perspires. I tend to crochet with thread during these hot months as I find it easier. But this year I have been going full steam ahead with yarn and I do it only early in the morning or in my bedroom in the afternoon (airconditioned environment). This year we were fortunate that the intensive heat did not hit us until this week. There was a breeze until a week ago and now it is like a sauna. It is now 7.10 in the morning and I am ready to sit in a cold room.

Must keep moving with my clean up before I melt away.

Linda

That is very pretty...love the colors.

Julie

I think what im going to do is like my DH says...when one skien of all 3 colors is done then sew them together...then start on three more skiens...im not looking forward to sewing them so if you have a good method...i would love to hear it.Ive never done one with this small of squares so im not sure how to go about it..i have a huge table,so i think i will lay them out on it as i go in the place there spoce to be.

Aussie

Good i wont be alone on this one..it is very daunting but i love this pattern and cant wait to see it come together.Im using the colors called for i think,Black,Warm Brown and Buff...it didnt help that i had all these colors on hand and heard them calling me to start this one.Up to 147 squares now :P.Allso i thought i would add that i dont turn my Grannys,so on the tri-colored ones im have to learn a whole new thing.

Ok back to packing so i can get a shower and sit down with my cup of hot tea and crochet the rest of the night.

Wendy - The popcorn stitch isn't hard to do at all, just time consuming. I can do three or four rows of the shell pattern in the time it takes to do one row of popcorn stitch. It also takes a lot more yarn. It gives a nice effect though.

Thank you Judianne...I am ashamed to say that I have not sewn a quilt for at least a year. The positive is that I have not hit the quilt shops for that time and therefore I may have cured my addiction for fabric :yes I now have to tame the yarn addiction and then I will be cured.:no

Ines- you might be CURED, but then you will be BORED !!! :lol

To the ladies asking about my handy-dandy joining method-- this is what I do for every afghan done in pieces, then put together .

I lay out the entire thing the way it will be when finished . I start at the top corner and take the first and second row of squares , one at a time and sc them together in the back loop only , then pick up the 2nd square in the 1st and 2nd row, continue adding them on with sc--- I do this clear across the rows ,so at the end , I have the first 2 rows of the project sewn together horizontal-wise .

THEN, I start with the 3rd row, adding that onto the 2nd row in the same way. I do the sewing just like when you sew fabric togeher, place the good sides ( right sides ) together, so you are actually looking at the wrong sides and always using the back loops only . It makes a very neat edging when done, and you can sew on a whole strip at one time .

Of course then the down side is, you will have to go back once all the horizontal rows are done and do all the rows vertically, but they are easier, because everything is at least ATTACHED in the order it goes in already .

Anyhow, that's my way of joining and it seems to go pretty fast .

Archived