Bedspread Bonanza

JulieKay

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julie~I grew up watching Quincy & I really liked that show. I also liked Murder She Wrote and Quantum Leap. I still watch Quantum Leap when I see it on, lol. I do like the modern shows too but more of the true stuff like The First 48, Cold Cases & documentaries on serial killers.

Shaylen~I thought I was the only person that loved that stuff. I love to read & watch about serial killers to find out what makes them tick. Very interesting. I would love to be a CSI but it's too demanding & my family comes first but boy would it be fun. My Hubby just bought me the BTK Killer movie and it's really gorey, even for me but it was still good.

Anyways, i'm way off the BS topic, huh? LOL. :lol I actually haven't picked mine up yet. I cleaned up a bit & went to the Post Office. I'll get working on it soon. Talk to guys soon. :manyheart

Shay - yep I have read all of Ann Rule's plus all the other ones I can get my hands on . I just bought a copy of the Boston Stranglers to read next .

That is what is so fascinating, WHY they do the things they do . It's interesting to try and figure that out and also to see how they catch them and have the trials for them . Very fascinating !

Tracey- I am soon to be 49, if that helps you out any. :lol

Melissa- man, you make me feel OLD that your mom and grandma liked Quincy !!!

Jewel - nope I've never tried a duvet. They are certainly pretty though .

Tabby- it sounds like we have another Partner in Crime ! Somebody else to talk True Crime with .

The rest of you guys are funny -- I keep gabbing away and you guys keep trying to read all the posts, plus crochet.

Fun, isn't it ?

Tab- I have a book on BTK but havent yet had time to read it. Boy, that one was a humdinger, wasn't he ? He went for so many years living a totally normal life and no one ever expected him til the very end . How he could live such an ordinary life, plus be doing all the things he did at the same time is fascinating .

Tracey- I am soon to be 49, if that helps you out any. :lol

Melissa- man, you make me feel OLD that your mom and grandma liked Quincy !!!

?

I'm sorry.:( I didn't mean too. Just that I remember they both liked that show a lot. :)

jewel i`m crocheting to while reading

julie

waw you have grandchildren :)

i`m doing a small ripple afghan 40'' and i wish to reach 60'' long to cover my under half body while crocheting :)

i wanna buy shakking chair i don`t know if isaid the right name :)

Wendy, I really think the all red would be good when you get it all done but if you want another colour I do think you will have to plan for a pattern of some sort. You could "set them on point" and have diagonal stripes or some other pattern that would work for you. there was one higher up the list

I'm afraid an occasional random colour would be a bit like a patch on a Dior gown. it's nice that they could afford the Dior but a shame they lost all the money and have to patch it :rofl

Okay, well I posted a pic on my website of the finished square that I have done for my BS. I hope you enjoy. The square is laying on top of our sheets so that you can kindof get an idea of the color scheme. I just have one question. Has anyone crocheted a duvet before? I was kindof thinking about turning my BS into one for our down comforter.

http://photos.simpsonstuff.net:88/view_album.php?page=1&set_albumName=album16

Gorgeous motif...you're brave...popcorn stitches drive me crazy:P

...a duvet cover...? Velcro works great as a closure, but you are asking for a lot of work...unless the backing will be fabric?:think

Gorgeous motif...you're brave...popcorn stitches drive me crazy:P

...a duvet cover...? Velcro works great as a closure, but you are asking for a lot of work...unless the backing will be fabric?:think

Yeah I know I am a glutton for punishment. I found a square that is similar to the one I am doing except there are no popcorns and I was toying with the idea of using that one. I guess I will wait and see how I feel after I finish the BS. I will probably be relieved that I am done and scrap the duvet idea.

Yeah I know I am a glutton for punishment. I found a square that is similar to the one I am doing except there are no popcorns and I was toying with the idea of using that one. I guess I will wait and see how I feel after I finish the BS. I will probably be relieved that I am done and scrap the duvet idea.

Is there a way you can use both squares. make an X formation with your popcorns and have the others (most of them) plain?

Or, you could form a central motif with 4 popcorn squares on point and then switch to the regular ones. it would make the popcorn squares more important if they are featured this way.

Ok I guess you are all waiting for more pics. Its amazing how we go through the pages in the hope that someone has put a picture on the board.

I have 2 squares done now and would like your expert opinions based on what my hubby suggested today.

He said the squares looked great but maybe it needed another color. Should I do a row of cream around the squares then sew them. Or should I do some of the squares in cream and scatter them in the bedspread. Or thirdly dont do anything and just have the one color.:think

bs.jpg

I'm not sure about scattering cream colored squares throughout...unless you also made a deep border for the entire BS in cream...then it would be balanced.

But what do I know? Mine's going to be multi-colored!:P

Hi, guys....:hook

LINDA T...be bad:devil ...crochet whatever floats your boat, as they say!

WENDY...I think you're amazing, willing to get involved in making a BS in the HOT Aussie summer!:nworthy

SHAY...I share all of your TV preferences...along with forays into Animal Planet. I still can't watch The Crocodile Hunter - it still hurts too much.

Also, Shay, if you haven't read any of John Douglas' books, pick them up. He was head of the FBI's profiling unit and worked all the major cases. He also has a new book coming out this Spring, I believe, on the BTK killer. Good writing, his quiet, straightforward personality comes across on every page.:sher

Ok I guess you are all waiting for more pics. Its amazing how we go through the pages in the hope that someone has put a picture on the board.

I have 2 squares done now and would like your expert opinions based on what my hubby suggested today.

He said the squares looked great but maybe it needed another color. Should I do a row of cream around the squares then sew them. Or should I do some of the squares in cream and scatter them in the bedspread. Or thirdly dont do anything and just have the one color.:think

bs.jpg

the cream will be great with it

put it only around the squares ,for sewing squares , and edgeing :cheer

Melissa

No, I was just joking, no big deal ! It's perfectly fine .. :)

Athba- do you mean a ROCKING CHAIR ? One that moves back and forth when you sit on it ?

Wendy- This is just my 2 cent's worth -- I like the bedspread with all the same color. I did 3 afghans with the big pineapple design ( not exactly like yours, but close ). 2 of them I did with multi-colors and the last was all one color. I think the all one color turned out the best and showed the design to best advantage . Just my input . :)

Maybe if you want another color as a small touch , you could add some type of aran-colored border, but I think it'll look best with all one color ,since you are doing all the same pattern .

Judi-thanks for bringing up the John Douglas books. I am trying to remember if I ever read one of his a long time ago . I'll have to keep an eye out for some the next trip to the library .

How about Dominick Dunne ? A lot of his first books were novel-versions of actual murder cases, but his last few were non-fiction accounts. They are all very well written . I REALLY liked his one called A Season in Purgatory. It was about the Martha Moxley case .REALLY interesting .

Okay. It's time to admit my ignorance. :shrug I had never heard the term "duvet" until it came up here. I finally looked it up in the dictionary online. Duuuuhhh. I know what a featherbed is. :idea Just hadn't heard it called a duvet. They are wonderful to snuggle down under when it's cold in the house, as long as you aren't allergic to feathers. Which I am. :irk Sigh!!!!! A thick wool blanket works almost as well for the center, as far as warmth goes, but it sure weighs a lot more.:wbrr:flakeGrandma had a wonderful one at her house when I was little!

I remember Quincy very well. It was always fun to see if first-timers in the morgue were going to keel over when he started to do the autopsies. :laughroll I'm sneeking up on 57 and I don't feel old. So there! It's just that the youngsters have missed out on some good shows that we remember and enjoyed when they were little or not even around.

I love a good mystery, but like unconventional heroines. The books starring Miss Seaton and Mrs. Pollifax are some of my favorites. It's not so much that they go looking for trouble, as that stuff starts to go hay-wire when they get involved. Mrs. Pollifax is usually supposed to be a courier or some such for the CIA and Miss Seaton is loosely attached to Scotland Yard as a sketch artist, but it never stays that way. Things just seem to "happen" when they are around. They always give me lots of good laughs and life seems better when I'm reading one of their yarns.:rofl:rofl:rofl

Juliekay... I am 47, so are ages are close. You have a grandson, you must have married young. My kids are 18 and 17, so I guess I could be a greandmother as well, if I had started sooner.

Jewel, I like Darski idea of making the popcorn pattern pop with just the center and a few scattered around the edges. Having all the squares with popcorns will be a lot of work. Don't you think?

Melissa.. I came back to be three pages behind.

I am half way through the second motif, even with a lot of work this morning. There was an accident outside a bit ago, and the police have the street shut down for though traffic, So nothing is going to be coming in right now. Well, back to work on the BS

Linda, do you very read the miss marvel (not sure of spelling), the spinister lady in england that manages to get involved in murders whereever she visits. I loved watching or reading books about her.

Tracey

We got married when we were 19 . Then had 3 kids within 3 years' time -- boom-boom-boom.

So, they grew up close in age and all got married within a couple years of each other, then had kids around the same times. Our youngest boy doesn't have any kids yet and may not ,but we have 6 between the older 2 kids . I believe the grandkid express may have slowed down and possibly stopped at this point. There's always time in the future for more, but I don't see any on the horizon anyplace .

julie

thats it :)

i opened the ruffled afghan after doing one full ball :\

i dont know i didnt like the work wasnt exaxt perfect work :no

i`m hasitating maybe because i`m disappointed of the yarn shop because it was closed today and i couldn`t buy yarn :(:angry

i don`t know what to do it`s an itchy feeling i wanna crochet :think

HEEEEEEEELP ME LADEIS WITH ANY PATTERN TO DO :help:thair

HAVE LOT OF YAAAAAAAARNNNNNNNNS

Takis and I didn't meet till '85 and married in '87, then had our son the day after our wedding anniversary in '88. Daughter came the end of '89. So I fully understand the boom, boom, boom effect. they are 20 months apart, and don't get along while Mommy is around. If I am out of the house, they are perfectly fine. Does this happen with anyone else, are am I just bless with kids of this nature???

Tracey

They will stop fighting as they get older. Our kids fought some while growing up -- nothing bad, but they had their days when they liked to argue all day . Since they have grown up, they get along pretty well now ,so hang in there. Someday you can take off your referee whistle and relax .:ccompute

Poor Athba -

Just give another pattern a go. I may be doing the same thing myself shortly . I am getting mighty tired of making these little tiny squares and weaving in ends. I think I made a MAJOR mistake by figuring it up on a graph. Once I found out I'd need over 1000 of them little idiots, I have been rethinking my own choice . If I manage to do 1000 of them, sew in ends and sew them all together, I'll be in the looney bin . They won't let me bring my afghan in there with me in case I try to unwind it and tie all the ends together to ESCAPE .

So, guys, don't be surprised if you see a change in my BS plans .:D

Archived