Intimidated beginner here

Miztiki

Question

Hello everyone. I've got some yarn and don't know what to do with it now, so I hope you can help me.

Years and years ago I made a baby blanket. The other day I made a scarf for my husband's trip to Norway. That's about the extent of my experience.

He thinks I'm some kind of expert now and wants me to make a couch-snuggling blanket. He picked up four 1 pound skeins of Caron worsted weight, 4-ply, acrylic yarn. One is a light green and the other is cream colored.

What am I gonna do with it?

I'm thinking of making a bunch of different granny squares so I have a chance to try different stitches. I've never made a square before though and I'm afraid my squares won't be the same size. Would a granny square blanket be too much for a beginner? If that would be ok then I could join them together with a third color too.

What do you think about a granny square blanket for an inexperienced person? Thanks!

Miz

:D Go to crochetcabana.com to see how to do granny squares. I had no idea how to do them, but on this site, she walks you through every step with pictures. I printed it out, and if I got stuck, I had the picture and instructions under the picture to help me. I just finished an afghan of granny squares, and it came out fine.

if they are slightly different sizes it should be OK to join them together with out too much problem...what patterns are you talking about? my gram used to always tell me to use the same hook and to always have the same number of stitches...the 63 squares book does have some interesting squares but they dont seem to come out the same size(at least in my experience) so just keep an eye out on your guage and everything should be ok! If you are just doing granny squares just count the number of rounds that you did even if they are different colors...good luck :) oh and make sure you post pictures of your FO (finished object):cheer:manyheart

That wasn't so bad! Thank you.

I finished my square and it just happens to be exactly 8 inches. I'll be making squares with several different patterns though, so how can I make sure they are all 8 inches without having to rip it out and start over with a bigger/smaller hook?

round 3: slip stitch 3rd chain of your first chain 3, slip stitch into your 2 double crochets, and then slip stitch into your chain 2 hole, chain 3, 2double crochet into the hole, chain 2, 3 double crochet into the hole, chain 1, 3 double crochet into the chain 1 space, chain 1, *3 double crochet in the corner space, chain 2 3 double crochet into the corner space, chain 1, 3 double crochet in the chain 1 space, chain 1* repeat from *to* around and join with a slip stitch....make sure you dont double crochet 3 dc 2 ch 3dc in the chain one spaces, be very careful, it's only 3 doubles with a chain 1 on each side...i hope i didn't confuse you at all on this one

basically you just need to remember that corners are 3dc chain 2 3dc, and every chain one space gets 3 dc with a chain on each side

hope this helps

it looks goood so far! the square pattern that i'm giving you can be found several places on the net and is also the granny square in 63squares...i'm going to be on the ville alot today so if you need more help dont hesitate to ask

I understood you right but got myself confused and wrote it wrong! (It's late.) The end of the first set of directions (round one). Gotcha.

By the way, here's my square so far.

Sept2006031.jpg

See the "chain 3" at the top-left that looks out of place? It's two posts, a space, then the "chain 3" that's supposed to represent the other post. It just doesn't look right to me.

Is the "yellow" stitch the right one? Maybe I'm wrong and it is the "blue" one. I'll do another and compare the two side by side and see if that makes it look better.

(It looks like your directions are missing the final chain-2 after the last block of 3 dc and before joining, by the way.)
I was wondering about this. You mean at the very end of the directions? I wondered if there should be one chain stitch or two before the joining slip stitch. It should be two chain stitches then, and not one?

Hi Miztiki

I meant in round 1, after you'd made the final shell/block of 3 dc. . .there should be a ch-2 (to make your last corner) before joining to the top of the first ch-3.

In Round 2, after you've made the final corner of (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) you make only 1 chain before joining ('cos that's a "side hole" not a "corner hole"). Sorry if I confused you!

Smiles,

How about doing it as a giant square? Then you don't have to worry about sewing squares together. Since you have two colors, do one row in color A, the next row in color B, next row in Color A and so forth. Granny squares are basic patterns, you can google granny square pattern and see what comes back.

Row 1 of a granny square is just the four corners with a chain 1 in between. (each corner is 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) began and ended with a chain 1. Join to your last corner with a slip stitch, and slip stitch over until you slip stitch in the ch 3 space of the corner. Then Chain 3, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc to form the next row's first corner.

Basically, the 4 sides of the square are groups of 3 double crochet separated by a chain. Each corner, is chain 1, 3 double crochet, chain 3 3 double crochet all in the same chain 3 space of the corner below it.Then, ch 1, then your groups of 3 dc across until you get to your next corner. Slip stitch to your final corner, and slip stitch in the ch 3 space of your corner. ch 3, then 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc are your next corner. Your first double crochet (dc) is always a chain 3, although some feel a chain 2 forms a "tighter" stitch.

I believe you slip stitch into the blue loop, which is the 3rd chain in your ch-3. That's the way I've been doing my granny squares. If that's incorrect, no one has noticed yet out of the many granny squares I've made! and I think the initial directions are correct, if you are following the pattern of having a ch-2 in the corners and a ch-1 for the "holes" on the sides of the squares, before joining, you will only have one chain stitch. I hope I'm not confusing you even more! Just trying to help...

(It looks like your directions are missing the final chain-2 after the last block of 3 dc and before joining, by the way.)

I was wondering about this. You mean at the very end of the directions? I wondered if there should be one chain stitch or two before the joining slip stitch. It should be two chain stitches then, and not one?

Yeah, I guess I was doing it right after all. It just doesn't look right for some reason, even trying ch2 instead of 3. That crochetcabana site is one I will turn to again and again, I'm sure. Thanks.

I've got one more question and then I'm ready for the next set of directions.

I've done this:

Chain 4 join with a slip stitch, chain 3, 2 double crochet into the little circle you just made, chain 2, 3 double crochet into your circle, then chain 2 again, 3 double crochet again, chain 2, 3 double crochet again and slip stitch to the top of your first chain 3...slip stitch into the next 2 double crochet and then finally slip stitch into your little chain 2 "hole"....

And I've gotten to the end of this:

on the next round you will chain 3 again, 2 double crochet in the same little hole, chain 2, again double crochet into the hole but this time 3 double crochet, then chain 1, *3 double crochet into the next hole, chain 2, 3 double crochet again in the hole, chain 1*, you then repeat from * to * for each hole (two more times) and join with a slip stitch...

For that last part in bold, do you mean the top of the ch3, like before? And just so that I'm sure I understand, you mean the yellow one, right?

CopyofSept2006026.jpg

That's just an example swatch.

Hubby came home and wanted to know why dinner wasn't made and what I've been doing all day. I proudly held up my tiny little square with two rounds.

He doesn't understand why it took so long. :D

On the left I have 2 posts, then a hole above the posts, then the chain 3 when I first started working in my little circle. I do what you say and it just doesn't look right. That "chain 3" looks out of place.

I wasn't sure what you meant by "top" where I bolded it, so I tried a slip stitch in each possible stitch to see if that looked better, but it doesn't.

Where am I going wrong here?

Hi Miztiki

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong! (It looks like your directions are missing the final chain-2 after the last block of 3 dc and before joining, by the way.)

Patterns usually specify 3 ch to stand in for a dc but many people find this leaves too big a "hole" between it and the next stitch; because of the personal tension which which they crochet, they only need to chain 2. Try it with 2 and see if it looks better. The "top" means the last stitch of the ch-3 or ch-2, the topmost one.

The Crochet Cabana tutorial crpstx mentioned is really good at showing exactly what you're meant to be doing -- well worth a look! Let us know how you get on.

Smiles,

[To begin...] Chain 4 join with a slip stitch, chain 3, 2 double crochet into the little circle you just made, chain 2, 3 double crochet into your circle, then chain 2 again, 3 double crochet again, chain 2, 3 double crochet again and [here's where I lose you] slip stitch to the top of your first chain 3...slip stitch into the next 2 double crochet and then finally slip stitch into your little chain 2 "hole"....

I'm on my 5th attempt and I'm not following you.

I've got a roundish-square in my hand. I've got my hook on top and I'm about to do what's in bold. At the bottom of my work are 3 posts. On the right side are 3 posts. There are 3 posts at the top.

Here's the problem. On the left I have 2 posts, then a hole above the posts, then the chain 3 when I first started working in my little circle. I do what you say and it just doesn't look right. That "chain 3" looks out of place.

I wasn't sure what you meant by "top" where I bolded it, so I tried a slip stitch in each possible stitch to see if that looked better, but it doesn't.

Where am I going wrong here?

I make all types of afghans, and love the more intricate patterns. There are several ways to join granny squares so if you decide to make those it really wouldn't be that difficult or time consuming. You could do a border on each square that is join as you go.

My suggestion would be that it depends on how steady your gauge is. If you crochet for a while, does your gauge change from beginning to end? If so, I would suggest doing some more small projects until you find your feel for gauge. A blanket that gets skinnier or fatter as you go is obviously not going to work, and doing grannies of different kinds if your gauge changes as you go is going to be a nightmare because they will come out different sizes.

Whatever you go with, I wouldn't recomment the 63 squares, as you can't learn new stitches and focus on gauge at the same time....unless you consistently crochet with the same tension you're going to have difficulties.

That's just my experience, so you can ignore me if you'd like! :D

I'm worried that my squares won't be the same size since I'll be using different stitches and patterns. Other than making one, measuring it, and starting over with a different sized hook if it's too big/small, how can I be sure that they are all the same size?

Also, can I modify 6" or 7" squares to make them into 8" squares? Do you just add an extra few rounds to size?

Eventually I'd like to get to where I understand crocheting well enough that I don't need to follow a pattern, kind of like cooking from scratch and not needing a recipe.

The first thing I made crocheting was a granny square and I was 7 years old or something. Don't be too worried about having perfectly square squares because you can join them so they are square if they are only a little bit out. The bigger the squares the less you will have to do that iyswim. There aren't any crochet police out there telling you can't crochet well. When I made my first granny square I was so proud and it looked terrible. At 7 though these things weren't as big of a deal. It is just perspective. So just make it how you want (with the different stitches) and be proud of the result. Your dh is like many out there and they secretly (or not so secretly) like women who are crafty.:P

Rachel

I think granny squares would be great. As you said, you can try a whole bunch of different stitches and patterns. I would make the squares bigger though 8" or 12". It will definatly cut down on the time it will take to join. Don't forget to take pictures of it when you're done and show it off :D Good luck!

I've got that 63 squares one. That and the "I can't believe I'm crocheting!" are what taught me years ago. I'd just make a block for practice, rip it out, and try another stitch. My dad got a few potholders out of it. :D

I've been looking through the 6" granny squares off that one website and selecting the ones I like, along with some from the 63 pamphlet. I suppose I should just make them (to size) and worry about how to connect them later?

I'd like to connect them differently from the pamphlet. Think y'all could help me when I get to that point?

My ideas are to do 12" squares so you will have much less sewing to do!

There are lots of free patterns here. Just click on the size squares you want to do. You will lots of choices.

and/or

Get the 63 squares leisure art pamphlet and do some of them then put them together for a blanket. This blanket will help you learn lots of new stitches.

i promise it's not hard! seriously a granny square project was my third or fourth project, and this is after i did a really hard doll dress, you just have to remember not to do corners in every space that's what i did on my first square attempt, oh my gosh it looked horrible! i didn't crochet for weeks cause i thought i was no good at it....i think you can do a square..

Chain 4 join with a slip stitch, chain 3, 2 double crochet into the little circle you just made, chain 2, 3 double crochet into your circle, then chain 2 again, 3 double crochet again, chain 2, 3 double crochet again and slip stitch to the top of your first chain 3...slip stitch into the next 2 double crochet and then finally slip stitch into your little chain 2 "hole"....

on the next round you will chain 3 again, 2 double crochet in the same little hole, chain 2, again double crochet into the hole but this time 3 double crochet, then chain 1, *3 double crochet into the next hole, chain 2, 3 double crochet again in the hole, chain 1*, you then repeat from * to * for each hole ( two more times)and join with a slip stitch...

let me know if you can do this and i'll give you the directions for the next rounds

Becca, you promise it's not too hard?

I'd like to do the granny squares so that I can try my hand at several different stitches and patterns. I've played around by making several rows with one stitch, then ripping it out and trying another stitch. After a few rows I've got it down pat but like KnicKnac and Alisha said, the thought of doing granny squares is scary!

I'm thinking of doing 6" squares and using at least a dozen different stitches/patterns so I can gain the most experience from it. Think I can do it?

Thank you for the warm welcome! I was looking at all the doilies in the gallery and they are beautiful. I think I'll have to try something like that when I'm done with hubby's blanket.

Archived