New Instructor in da' House!!

Donna..looks like I'll be joining you in the newbie teacher thing...have to drop off my project sample at Michael's and then do the open house thing on the 30th and I'm in!! I've been asked to specifically aim at the younger croud, so I'm doing armwarmers from Crochet Me....what are you doing for the class project???

Jessie

I have no flippin idea LOL

Without knowing ahead of time what the class will be comprised of.. rank newbies, someone who has a little experience or alot.. it's hard to know what to choose. Although I think if they are rank newbs especially that what would seem mundane to us might be the bee's knees to them.

With the Christmas season right around the corner really I think I'm going to opt for a scarf or a prayer shawl in something pretty and striking... anything but Red Heart or Fun Fur LOL I've got to go looking actually and get a supply list together for them. I saw a scarf pattern that was just doubles and ch 1 and then threaded with this wide ribbon yarn that was really pretty and should be easy enough for beginners but interesting enough for someone with just a little more experience.

Do you have to do a picture and a bio? lol They have an instructor board here as well with little projects up on it to inspire interest so I've got a couple of things for that.. I'm thinking color is the key there.

I'm nervous and excited all at once! :D When is your first class do you know?

I was told that I had to have a class sample when I submitted all my info...the materials list, dates & times I want to hold the classes, how much I'd want for the class and how many students I want the class limited to...so, since the open house is Sept 30th, I'm submitting a class schedule of the first 3 Saturdays of October, for 2 hours each in the evenings...and I limited the class to 6 people just in case none of them have crochetted before...this is the first class I've taught, so I would rather err on the side of caution LOL...

I wasn't told I had to give a pic, but I did have to write up a bio and I'm to bring in some samples of things I've done...they have little sort-of shadowbox things that they set up for each teacher....the only problem with that is that the majority of things I've done lately have been 3D...or HUGE like full-sized blankets...so I think I might just have to work up a couple of little flat things that can be put in the display thing....

Good luck!!

Jessie

Yeah I brought samples when I had my interview and did the background check thing and the orion test. Did they not make you do any of that? The event coordinator called me when that was all completed and we set up the calendar for october :) I'm not limiting my classes tho, if we need to split them that will be fine and i actually anticipate having to have a beginner and a more advanced class with different projects for both. I actually made one of the scarves i'm going to use as the beginner project to take to the open house on the 30th :)

I've made up a little pair of sock and a bookmark for my display and am bringing that all in on Thursday when I fill in my employment paperwork.. we've got something else exciting going on starting in october as well, so should be alot of fun :)

Archived