Interweave Crochet Purse

L-A

Hello there!

I was so pleased with the way this bag turned out that I wanted to share it with ya'll. It's the Textured Tweed purse designed by Mari Lynn Patrick, from the Fall 2005 issue of Interweave Crochet. The yarn I used was Cascade 220 in Coral. Although the original pattern did not call for felting, when I was finished with it, it was really floppy (probably because I didn't use the recommended yarn! :blush ), so I threw it in the washer to see what would happen. Well, here's the result...

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=238609896&size=s

http://static.flickr.com/81/238605111_bd9655ddde_m.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thanks for the praise, hookjunky! This is the 1st time I've ever posted a project on Crochetville & I'm so excited someone likes it. The pattern's from the fall 2005 issue of Interweave Crochet (here's a link... but you have to actually order the mag for the pattern... there are lots of great projects, so it's really worth buying!) And I used Cascade 220.

http://www.interweavecrochet.com/2005/materials.asp#textured

L-A, that purse is fantastic! I love how it looks felted! I'd overlooked that pattern when I initially bought the magazine, but I definitely think I might be going back to it now!

Your bag is gorgeous! I was attracted to that pattern too and decided to make mine in Berroco Suede. It also came out too floppy but I couldn't felt it so I used plastic canvas to strengthen the inside. Then it was too stiff! :lol I had also made the strap too long. Finally I gave the whole mess to the thrift shop. :( I'll try again with stiffer yarn and I can only hope that mine will turn out as well as your did!

Roli,

Where's your thrift shop??? I think I'm going to have to go down there and hunt for that purse, LOL!

I made a purse out of kitchen cotton that the flap was curling up on. So I cut a rectangle out of a plastic milk jug, punched holes in it and crocheted it to the inside of the flap to give it some structure. I also put an oval of the plastic onto the inside bottom to hold everything in better - works great. Doesn't look great, on the inside, but no one's allowed in my purse anyway! Do YOU HEAR THAT DS and DH??? NO FREE SAMPLES from mom's purse!!!:lol

angie in NC

That turned out FANTASTIC! :clap That color is beautiful, the felting really makes it look much sleeker,great way to turn a problem into an asset. I'll be trying that bag your way(when I can scrape together a little xtra time&money;) ).:clap

Ya'll are are so nice! Thanks so much for the comments... you know, it's one thing for my non-crocheting friends to tell me they like what I've made; but it's really inspiring to hear from fellow crocheters! I'm so glad I joined the rest of the great people in C-ville. :)

I love the idea for fleting the purse. I have been thinking about doing that pattern, maybe I will have to make one for my sister for Christmas!! Thanks for the great inspiration on this classic design.

Cheryl

Archived