walmart

kelly g

Does anyone know the quality of yarn at walmart? I know their fabric comes from the beg. and end of large bolts. Your fine fabric stores would never sell this portion to you. Does this work the same for yarn.? :think I recently bought yarn at walmart ( I don't have much choice where I live) and found the middle of the skein to be cut in several places. This has happened before.:eek

I personally haven't had a problem with the quality of the yarn at Walmart. I believe that most of...if not ALL of the yarn manufacturers stand by their yarn...I read on other posts that people who have had problems with the yarn have contacted the manufacturer who "made good" on the bad skein. In one case I was reading that Red Heart was itchier than usual and causing a crocheter a rash, and Red Heart made good on the skeins as well as asked for the bad skeins so that they could test them to see what might be causing the rash. I think if you have a problem with the yarn you should contact the manufacturer.

Good luck!:hook

Hi Kelly :hi I have bought probably 200 to 300 hundred skeins of yarn over the years from Wal-Mart. Once in a while I will find a skein that is not up to standards. Generally you email the company that makes the yarn and tell them that this skein is not up to standards and that you are disappointed. Usually they will send you a replacement skein. Yarn companies like to keep use yarnies happy. So to answer your question... same yarn, same quality, no matter where you buy it Joann's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart and etc...

WalMart dictates the price they pay their suppliers. Most suppliers have to reduce their costs to get their product into WalMart; when they can't, they'll usually move their factories to other countries where labor is cheaper and that way they can afford to put their stuff into WalMart. They may or may not get the same quality they had when the product was made in this country.

Some suppliers produce special, cheaper products for WalMart only, but they continue to produce their regular product for other stores, so there will be a difference in quality between the skein you buy at WalMart and the same stuff you buy in another store (and a difference in price, of course). This must be how it works with the fabric you mentioned...

Suppliers who don't want to produce a low-priced product for WalMart plus a higher-priced (or maybe I should say "regular-priced") product for everybody else, have remade all of their products to meet WalMart's price and still make a profit. Heinz Ketchup, for example, reportedly remade its ketchup more cheaply to meet WalMart's price, and Heinz sells the same ketchup everywhere else now, too. (So you don't get a better ketchup at the regular supermarket, for instance; you now get "WalMart" ketchup but you pay supermarket price for it.)

I don't know that there's any way of knowing about the quality of yarn at WalMart unless you do your own comparisons or you know the supplier's practices. When I was using Homespun, I found that the yarn I bought from the Lion brand website seemed to be a better quality for fewer tangles and knots than the Homespun I bought from the discount outlet -- but I don't buy at WalMart, so I don't know if my experience is comparable.

The only problem I have had is the itchy scrahty too. and a lot of times I have gotten some with knots tied in the middle. you know like you get through half way and there is a knot.

Sometimes, ( hardly ever) the cotton thread. It is from the machines that rows the thread in balls . Sometimes I will be making something and find grease on the thread that is so frustrating too. I don't know if anyone has come accros this. But, this is also from other companies thread. Not just Wall-mart.

Have you ever thought to buying on line or from Catoloags. They have sells quite often. I have brought crochet bedspread thread from Herschners and from Annie's attic. I :manyheart both. PINKROSES

I buy my yarn from a variety of suppliers (both online and in the stores) and have not noticed any difference between the quality. I have gotten skeins that have been tied off in the middle from all venues.

The only problem I have with buying yarn at WalMart is their selection. If I want RH or SS then I go to WalMart but that's about all they carry. Anything else I go to Joanns, HL, Michaels or order online.

When I was using Homespun, I found that the yarn I bought from the Lion brand website seemed to be a better quality for fewer tangles and knots than the Homespun I bought from the discount outlet -- but I don't buy at WalMart, so I don't know if my experience is comparable.

Omigosh. I bought two skeins of Homespun "Tudor" from Walmart (just needed a yarn fix), then later bought more skeins of the same color from Joann. Do you know, the Walmart Homespun had these funny pink splotches in it that the Joann did not. I thought maybe it was just me, but maybe Walmart is selling seconds?

Omigosh. I bought two skeins of Homespun "Tudor" from Walmart (just needed a yarn fix), then later bought more skeins of the same color from Joann. Do you know, the Walmart Homespun had these funny pink splotches in it that the Joann did not. I thought maybe it was just me, but maybe Walmart is selling seconds?

Again, I'm not sure they're "seconds," per se. Some manufacturers make a separate, cheaper product just to sell in Walmart stores only. It may look like the stuff they sell in other stores, but it isn't. (And I have no idea if Lion Brand does that.)

I've also found that the Homespun I've bought in discount outlets has been strangely dyed. I've gotten stripe effects, or one skein will be mostly brown, the next one green, the next one gold -- and it's all the same "color."

ive never had a problem with walmart yarn

i bought a pound of love from michaels and it was cut and tied in a bunch of places, so annoying, i contacted the company and they sent me replacement skeins :)

at an acmoore i go to they sell homespun ends, like if there wasent enough for a full skein thats where it goes

homespun is very touchy as far as the color goes, i wouldnt blame the store for that

I think it depends on the yarn...I've gotten oddly colored Homespun at Michael's as well as Wal-Mart (I will refrain from going into my usual rant about Lion Brand Homespun). I've had good luck with Caron SS at Wal-Mart. My only complaint about Wal-Mart is that I'd like to see better selection (more brands).

Again, I'm not sure they're "seconds," per se. Some manufacturers make a separate, cheaper product just to sell in Walmart stores only. It may look like the stuff they sell in other stores, but it isn't. (And I have no idea if Lion Brand does that.)

I've also found that the Homespun I've bought in discount outlets has been strangely dyed. I've gotten stripe effects, or one skein will be mostly brown, the next one green, the next one gold -- and it's all the same "color."

The striped effect was probably due to you were using one of their colors that is described as being "painterly". It is SUPPOSED to be that way. :) Lionbrand explains it on the page that shows all the colors available for homespun.

• 3 weeks later...
The striped effect was probably due to you were using one of their colors that is described as being "painterly". It is SUPPOSED to be that way. :) Lionbrand explains it on the page that shows all the colors available for homespun.

Oh, I didn't know about that...Wish I'd researched that _before_ I made that shawl! Thx for letting me know.

Archived