Sweet Pea Shawl from SnB Happy Hooker

cabanird

this is on my to do this i am planning on making it for my mom for x-mas, i bought sugar and cream black but wanted something shiny not a bland finish any suggestions on yarn type? Kinda looking for a black yarn with a sparkle or sheen to it. And also just curious if you had any problems with the pattern at all

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is on my to do this i am planning on making it for my mom for x-mas, i bought sugar and cream black but wanted something shiny not a bland finish any suggestions on yarn type? Kinda looking for a black yarn with a sparkle or sheen to it. And also just curious if you had any problems with the pattern at all

What about Patons Brilliant? They sell it in ACMoore. It looks a lot better in person than online in this photo:

http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=brilliant&PHPSESSID=600d09778a83d5bce9f9e3b9a9302ea5

EDITED TO ADD: I just went back to notice that the original in this thread was made from the same yarn! Ha! How's that for a ka-wink-a-dinky?

this is what i was looking for when i was in AC Moore but couldn't find it...hmmm perhaps tomorrow I will go back and return the sugar and cream and look for this again. I'm sure if i can't find it at AC Moore I can find something at Michaels just up the road.

Melissa, I'm surprised. I live in Jersey too and I've been in several AC Moore stores and I've seen it. Which one do you shop in? They have it in Watchung and I want to say that I spotted it in their Bricktown store when I was there last week. I also saw it at the Michaels in Flanders.

One thing I would recommend doing is calling them. I had to call every Joann's and Michaels in the state of NJ last week (was looking for Patons Grace in certain colors and couldn't find it...needed it for Uncommon Threads show). I told them what it was for and they were more than kind enough to hold onto the yarn at the register for me to pick up directly. Just make sure you tell them exactly what you're looking for and how many skeins you need before they put you on hold. If they don't have enough, you don't waste the trip going there.

Hope that helps!

Annie

i was in the paramus store, i'm going to try going back to return what i have now and try to find the stuff i want. If worse comes to worse i will just head up rt 17 to michaels. Off note we have Joann's in NJ? Gonna have to see if there are any in my necck of the woods i love that store and thought i left it behind when i left flordia this winter

I saw that in the book and wondered about it. The one you made is simply gorgeous and your friend is a very lucky person. Wow, I bow to your brillance with a crochet hook!

Cheers,

Ari

Annie

i was in the paramus store, i'm going to try going back to return what i have now and try to find the stuff i want. If worse comes to worse i will just head up rt 17 to michaels. Off note we have Joann's in NJ? Gonna have to see if there are any in my necck of the woods i love that store and thought i left it behind when i left flordia this winter

Melissa,

Here's their store locator page:

http://www.joann.com/about_joann/about_joann_stores.jhtml;$sessionid$DBDI4GIAACYNKP4SY5LRJAR50LD3UEPO

Not sure how close any of those are to you. I used to live in Point Pleasant, so I visited the one in Brick several times.

Wonderful! How funny that it's a different yarn and yet color-wise it looks similar. Bravo on your pictures too! They came out great and so did the shawl!

thanks so much for looking at this post and for your compliments Amie!! it really is a wonderful pattern, beautiful stitch and shawl. thanks so much for making it and submitting it! i'm about to make one for myself!!

and thanks to everyone else for your responses and compliments! i can't keep up! i hope to tackle some more projects from this book.

take care!

thanks for the store locator i will check and see if any are near me, I actually have one more question for the person who made the shawl. I'm using the patons brilliants (black) and I'm having issues working the chain with the hook they say to use, the I/9 hook. I was just curious if you actually used that hook, I'm more comfortable using a G hook but will suffer through with the I if I have to.

thanks for the store locator i will check and see if any are near me, I actually have one more question for the person who made the shawl. I'm using the patons brilliants (black) and I'm having issues working the chain with the hook they say to use, the I/9 hook. I was just curious if you actually used that hook, I'm more comfortable using a G hook but will suffer through with the I if I have to.

i thought we were supposed to use an F hook? anyway... i believe i used an H hook instead. i would go down to the hook size you feel is best. i think my shawl actually came out larger than it was supposed to be because i used a larger hook. :)

That turned out very nice. I wonder why they call it the sweet pea shawl. The pattern looks like rain drops to me. Maybe a name like "spring rain" may have been more appropriate.

Yeah, just me and my nosey two-cents again. Lol.

Archived