Acquired Things

My boyfriend's grandmother, who was an avid crocheter, passed away several months ago, and just recently his grandfather invited me to go thru her things to see if there was anything I liked.

So today, hunny and I went upstairs and found 2 big boxes full of yarn, mostly Rh and Sayelle, bunches of WIP's, an afghan that was about 98% finished, some hooks and knitting neddles, and bunches of old patterns and magazines.

I haven't even begun to sort thru all this stuff, and I'm sure I will be doing a lot of (manual) yarn winding. Looked like some of the yarn had sawdust type stuff in it, and I think I will just have to trash that ? But that pattern books are the greatest, there are several for dolls and doll making which I will not use, but some of the stuff is so great! here's a peak from one mag, the Ladies' Home Journal Needle & Craft for the Creative Woman Spring/Summer 1974 issue:

beach.jpg

My mom got such a thrill from this, as she graduated in '75...

I'm so honored to have her things! and even better that some of them are still hip, LOL! Although, I think once I look thru it all you will see me over at the trade/sale/free forum...

Guest ParchedWhisper

That is so cool! That must have been exciting and you get family heirlooms also. I hope you have fun going through the pattern books and figure out a way to save the sawdusty yarn.

How neat! My grandmother had tons of old yarn also .. most of which had to be chucked as it just went bad in storage. She had old pattern books but not many as she didn't read patterns.. but when I saw the pic of the swim suit I thought that might be back in style now LOL so many things from that era are ;)

• 1 year later...

Natalie,

Would you be willing to share the patterns from your Ladies Home Journal Needle and Craft, Spring/Summer 1974 for these two items? I've been searching high and low for a copy of that magazine without any luck.

Thanks!

Juju

70squareneckcrochettop.jpg

70Spantsuit.jpg

I didn't realize copying magazine patterns was a violation of copyright laws and I'm not sure it is...that brings up a good question though. I also thought that was the intent of this website, to share ideas, patterns, etc. I sincerely apologize if my request offended you. I will keep looking for these patterns elsewhere.

Juju

RULE #3 No copyright violations. :2nono Basically, this means if it's not yours, don't post it. That includes not posting photos you found while surfing the web. If you want to share something from another web site, link to it instead. You can read more about copyright here and here.

There are several threads around here that you can search for that deal with copyrights. You can also do a google (or search engine of your choice) search for copyright laws and get some great info.

It IS a violation of copyright laws to copy a pattern form a magazine without written permission of the publisher.

It is not the intention of this forum to condone or allow the sharing of copyrighted material. The patterns shared here are shared by the original creators. Otherwise they are links to patterns from other sources but we try to stay on top of violations of copyrights and remove any we find.

I welcome you to stay and look around and enjoy all that we do have to offer here, and that is alot. This is a great group of folks.

I wish you luck on your search (Have you tried ebay?).:hug

Hi Juju. I'll keep you in mind as I go thru my magazines. I have too many (gee surprise) and would be willing to trade or sell if I have it. Try posting in the patterns wanted column, and like Kari said; watch Ebay. I had to get a magazine there for a pattern I first made my son in 1988. Since you know the exact issue you can even check out 'Want it NOW' on Ebay.

Basicly, we can sell or trade the entire issue of a magazine, or an intact pattern book, but not parts of it. We can't make photocopies of a pattern and circulate it. If you have any questions, you can always PM a moderator; they're glad to help us out.

Kathy

Hey Natalie,

Yeah for all the cool stuff! You mentioned that some of the yarn looked like it had sawdust or something on it... if it is acrylic, could you just pop it in the washing machine?

Just a thought,

I'm sorry, I'm not willing to part with the magazine, if that's what you mean.

Asking for a copy of the pattern is a violation of copyright laws, so I'm assuming that's not what you were inquiring.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

1974 is well past the copyright period isn't it? I also thought if something was out of print copyright laws weren't in effect?

How we do forget! I was 28 in 1974...and remember "hip hugger" suits....quite the thing!!! Sure brings back memories!!

How we do forget! I was 28 in 1974...and remember "hip hugger" suits....quite the thing!!! Sure brings back memories!!

Me too....and we thought we were sooooooooooo cool in them:think

1974 is well past the copyright period isn't it? I also thought if something was out of print copyright laws weren't in effect?

Actually, something being out of print doesn't effect it's copyright at all.

Also, I checked to see if you were correct and this magazine has passed into the public domain, as these patterns are awesome and I'd love to share them. But, I found out that all works published between 1964 and 1977 have had the copyright automatically extended on them for an additional 67 years - for a total of 95 protected years from the original copyright date. If this mag was published in 1974, that means it's not public domain material until 2069! *bummer* :(

Source 1 Source 2

Can you belive I've had all these for over a year now and not made a single thing from them? I love to flip thru her magazines for inspiration, and I am swearing up and down I'll make a 'ghan from one of the 5 afghan books I got from her.s. one of these days, anyways.

I did fasten off the blanket she'd almost finished... it gets used everyday in the living room. :D

And the yarn - some of it I used, some of it I gave away, and most of it I trashed. The sawdust was way too much to get out in most cases, and honestly, the yarn just wasn't high enough quality to save. Too scratchy - acrylics have come a looooong way since then!!

Also, I checked to see if you were correct and this magazine has passed into the public domain, as these patterns are awesome and I'd love to share them. But, I found out that all works published between 1964 and 1977 have had the copyright automatically extended on them for an additional 67 years - for a total of 95 protected years from the original copyright date. If this mag was published in 1974, that means it's not public domain material until 2069! *bummer* :(

Source 1 Source 2

WOW, thanks Natalie for checking into othat...I'm floored, but...thats life eh

But, what I don't get the purpose of copyright is to make money, and to protect someones interest....given the time frame whomever wrote it certainly isn't being protected or making money. Their in the yarn store up above, and or they aren't making money off it cause it's no longer in print and people can buy it???? I really just don't understand it.

Thanks for your kind response. I started with e-bay, then started a search for this exact magazine which led me to this website. How are patterns traded on this website? I may have some patterns others would be interested in acquiring, but I couldn't figure out how to find that information on this site. Seems like a good site, I'm just still trying to find my way around.

Juju

Well, depending on what kind of pattern it is, you can do different things...

Like, if it's a pattern you designed yourself and own rights to, you could post it in the Original Patterns or Links to Patterns forums.

Or, if you have old leaflets, magazines, or books that you no longer want, you could offer them up in the For Trade, Sale, or Free section of the board.

Some things you can't do are post patterns on Crochetville that violate copyright [a safe way to say this is anything you did not design yourself], or offer *copies* of pattern you have, which again violates copyright. The *originals* are okay to whatever you want with, but once you start dealing with reproductions you're getting into murky waters.

Copyright is a tricky beast and to keep Crochetville the way it is we have to do everything we can to respect it - I hope you understand why I can't help out with the patterns you want. :hug But, if I come across another issue of the mag, I'll be sure to PM you about it!!

• 1 month later...

Source 1 Source 2

Ok... so does this mean that Workbasket patterns printed BEFORE 1964 are public domain?

Tina

Archived