crochet & fabric dress

caitlinsmom

That is fantastic...I would love to see Caitlin wearing it... What size is the dress and did you sew the skirt on to the crochet part by hand or machine??? I have a 5 year old grand-daughter and want to make her one...I have a pattern for the top and figure I could just sew material to it without a pattern and hope for the best...She lives in Israel so I can not try it on as I go....:cheer

Margie,

I looked at your post with Caitlin's picture in the first dress you made for her and she looks lovely in it...It is such a great idea for a dress.

Do you think I can use the pattern and increase the hook size to get it right for a 5 1/2 year old...The pattern only goes up to 3years old and I would love to make it for a bigger girl....One for a 6yr old and one for 5 1/2yr old?????

tks. for your time. and sharing these dresses with us...Love them.:clap

Caitlin wears a size 4 & I used an F hook -Boye. I crocheted with size 3 cotton thread . It fit her perfectly. With this dress I used the same size hook &cotton, took a bodice pattern from a baby dress& kept trying it on her. It was perfect. I like the 2nd one better for fit. Daddy didn't care for the openess of it though. I figured she is only 4 so its ok. I would increase the count of stitches on the starting chain to make the pattern bigger for a 5-6 yr old. Just follow the orginal pattern. You could ask her mommy how big she is around the chest to get an idea of right size. Also how many inches from her shoulder to armpit. Good luck I hope that helps.

Thanks Margie, I think I will try Peaches & cream pink cotton which is a heavier thread and give it a try with a bigger hook and that should do it.for a 6year old girl....

The skirt is handsewn on to the top. I used one half of a yard of material for each skirt. I gathered it on my sewing machine with thread elastic. You can make a seam on each side or one down the center back. Whichever you prefer.I've made with both ways.I machine stitched the hem.

Archived