really underappreciated

I can feel you pain too! I made 2 blankets for 2 babies born about a month and a half apart. One was for a friend and the other was for my BIL and SIL. The first one I gave to my friend. She just told me about 2 weeks ago that she loves the blanket and she uses all the time. Its her favorite one. The one I made for my nephew I have seen used once! And than my BIL has the nerve to ask me to make him an afghan 6 feet by 6 feet! So to get him back, I got him the learn to crochet kit and a skein of one pound by caron for his birthday! I told him he could make it for himself!! :devil It was worth the wasted money as I am sure that he never used it!!

I totally understand the frustration so I am very selective of whom I give hand crocheted or knitted items. Or is that why most of the stuff I made are for my immediate family members & myself? LOL

I'm pretty selective myself who gets my stuff. Last September I sent an afghan to Scotland to a friend. He was expecting it, he just didn't know what it would look like (I wouldn't tell him ;)) When he got it, he opened it on the webcam for me and the look on his face made every stitch worth it. He's still thanking me for it and uses it all the time.

I just sent a pic of the purple pillowghan (still in progress) to the person who's getting it cause I wanted to see if he would like it and his reaction told me he not only likes it, he loves it so it's very worth it when the reactions sometimes exceed what you might be expecting.

I'm really sorry some of you have had such bad experiences with gift-giving. :hug

:frog

Oh that would have hurt my feelings too! If someone doesn't like something I made for them, at least regift it to someone who might appreciate the work involved! Sorry and HUGS!

When I first starting crocheting, I crocheted an awesome granny square baby blanket with fringe. My cousin bought it for a gift to give to someone she knew who was pregnant. Well a couple of months later I went to her house to visit and guess what I see in the doggy bed???????? Yes, you guessed it...my baby blanket!!

Oh my. There are so many stories in here that I feel so bad about. :( I"m sorry you've all had to experience things like this. I've made some afghans for wedding gifts and recieved thank yous for them. It would still be neat to see them being used maybe if we ever visited them.

I also made an American flag afghan that I ended up selling at a discount to an "aunt" because she really liked it. (It was to sell and I couldn't afford to give it away, even though I endjoy doing so) I've never seen it out and I kind of wish I could. Mainly to know if it's still holding together! (It was made out of granny squares and sewn together. It took a lot. And then it was earlier on so I'd love to know it's still together. :P )

Anyway, Hugs everyone!:ghug We know what it takes to make a crocheted gift.

Amber

I think every crocheter, Knitter and crafter has a story just like yours.:soap

Me? I made blankets for my two youngest granddaughters (cross stitch baby blankets) when they were born. I got a think you, but the picture I got was them hanging on the wall of their room. I guess it could be worse.:think

The only way you can get around it is either don't make anymore for people, or don't get attached to what you make. That is the only way I can give something up. I keep reminding myself that it is being sent to someone, then I don't think about it anymore.

I do feel your pain:cry .and am sorry to hear about what was done. I would of said something, then asked them for the afghan back.:tryme

I've never had anything really bad like that happen to me (and I'm really sorry about those who have) but I never really see anyone use anything I make for them either. I always tell people that they should just let me know if they don't like something I give them b/c then I can just give it to someone else or something. Also, I don't want people to feel pressured to like it (or wear it or whatever) or pretend to like it if they don't. Noone has told me they don't like what I've given them but then they don't use the stuff either so....yea.

There is one lady...she's from my mom's church but I've met her and she's really cool and nice. So I made her a poncho and sent it to her through my mom. According to everyone else...she loved it. Some people told me that they've seen her wear it alot (and the colors are purple, white, and green variegated so I'm wondering how she's working that out :P ) but I haven't heard from her at all. And I've even seen her after that. I guess she just forgot. It's just cool knowing that she really did like it (cuz she wouldn't wear it if she didn't...right?). And she's almost the only one that I know of who's worn anything I made (except my mom....but that doesn't count...cuz she's my mom :P ).

heather, i'm very sorry that your friend didn't appriciate your gift. somtimes folks don't appriciate the amount of time and energy we put into crochet. you really should mention it to her. i would think a baby blanket would become a heirloom and not end up in the garage!:(

I just hate when that happens. You spend hours on something and never see it or the person really doesnt acknowledge it. I made a butterfly afgan for someone and I have yet to see it out. Also a sweather that was asked for but never worn, which I wouldnt mind but I spent $80.00 on the yarn. So I just don't make things for some people anymore. Some people appreciate the time and effort and some don't. What can you do??

kellyv

I am in the process of finishing 2 baby blankets now. One is for my husband's cousin, the other will match one that is already completed for a friend who's expecting twins. I certainly hope that they are appreciated and used! But I must admit that when my son was born an Aunt sent me a blanket that she had embroidered with his name and birthday. The blaket was lovely, BUT it was White. I did really appreciate it. And I am sure that Trevor will too, but I never had the heart to use it- because it was WHITE! I did not want to stain it. I wanted to keep it nice and I plan to give it to my son when he has children, but I will first have their name and birthdate embroidered on it to make it more of an heirloom.

So my point is that maybe some people do have good intentions. I know that I have not hurt the Aunt's feelings as she lives in another state and did not make it back here untill Trevor was about 18 months old.

And I try to make it a point to not make gifts for baby's that are light colored. So that the parents don't have to worry about staining as much. Had the blaket I recieved been a darker color, I would have used it instead of storing it.

Archived