Crochet Partners (cplist)

Some of you may belong to this mailing list. It's an email list that has LOTS of members. I normally lurk and don't post anything. I've just seen too much bad stuff happen. Poor people who get yelled at for doing nothing but being themself!!! The list is supposed to be about crochet, and every once in a while, it veers off topic about this or that, which is fine. But the list owners yell about it all the time. Always sending notes about keeping to crochet. also, some people forget to erase the original message when replying (which happens mostly cuz they aren't very skilled at computers and use their email the way it's set up), and they get a warning. These poor people end up feeling very bad and not posting.

Well, someone posted an email talking about how they like CP but that they don't post cuz they get yelled at or it isn't helpful and all the messages from the list owner are mean.

I responded by saying that CP was about crochet and if that is all that is allowed to discuss, then that gets boring and topics repeat themselves. I mentioned that I was a member of another community that allowed "freedom of speech" and it was so much fun. It fostered more of a family feel.

Well, don't ya know. someone responded to the whole list about how people shouldn't throw around Freedom of Speech and they should look it up in the law journals and such to figure it out cuz it doesn't mean talk about anything.

My god, why are people SO petty. I'm fuming about this because that is the exact reason why I don't post. I always get someone who gets up in arms over wording or topic and that's it. You get yelled at. that isn't fun to me!!!

Geesh. I think I'm gonna cancel my subscribe to that and stick to crochetville.

anyone know what I'm talking about???

Well hun, I'm not a member there I have a hard enough time keeping up with here! LOL But I have to say that sometimes that is what happens. People all have differing opinions, that is probably why the list TRIES to stay on crochet alone.

Thats one of the reason I love it here so much, everyone tries to stay away form the topics that tend to get heated. (like politics,etc)

You just have to chalk it up for experience and move on. If it bothers you to the point you are thinking about leaving the list then maybe you need to step back and think on whether it IS indeed worth being a part of the list.

:hug

well, according to the list owner. the list is her "home" and she has rules, which I will follow and do follow, but people there get so upset if you use a word the wrong way and such. The list owner is wondering why there is only a small group of people who post and that is the reason, cuz other members jump down your throats. For instance...the willie warmers, can't discuss them cuz it offends people, even though SOME people aren't offended and want to know about them, still can't discuss them. Or, most recently, she banned discussion about the Martha poncho, cuz she was bored with the topic. It's just very petty the things people get yelled at for.

I am going to leave the list, it's not worht it and I get all my infor from here anyways, I jsut needed to vent about it cuz my blood was boiling.

I subscribe to the digest version of that list, but I usually delete the digests without reading them because the list is soooo busy and I just don't have time to read it. (The last time I did try to catch up there was a big fight going on, which was kinda off-putting.) There's a lot of good information posted there, too, but I just can't keep up and will probably be unsubscribing because of that. So much easier for me to keep up with a message board!

I'm sorry folks gave you a hard time :hug

trish, i did the same thing. my gosh it was awful, my inbox was always full of junk and the "owner" was not a nice person. ithink its because she had so much power when she was working. you know what i mean right? anyways glad you broke free. feels good don't it!!!:bad vicki

I have seen this on other forums. People take things wrong and blow things out of proportion. You are dealing with alot of personalities and beliefs out there, your bound to tick someone off or offend someone. Most times Unintentionally. If I read something offensive, I may or may not comment, but I try not to be ugly. If its a constant thing with a certain group, I'd opt out also, its not worth it. Some people are not happy unless they are bee-otching about something. I think I'll stick with the friendlier groups.

Lisa

Guest Yarnentangled

You have to develop a thick skin to participate on some message boards. I learned it the hard way.

First you have to lurk for a while to figure out the mood of the board in general. If only a few people post then , of course, they'll prolly run over you if you're not like them. Either continue to lurk until you cannot possibly glean any beneficial info or start posting your thoughts and revive it.

If you begin posting, other lurkers my join you and you might be able to change the mood of the board. It just depends.

I got several responses from people on the board thanking me for my response because they were too afraid to do it themselves. Come on.....afraid?? of the list owner....she is a tyrant!!!!! Poor people. It's supposed to be fun. Oh well, I'm done with it! Not worth it to me anymore. It was fun while it lasted..hehehehe

crochetville, I'm all yours! LOL

Yay Trish, you're free!!! :clap I finally built up the nerve and unsubscribed a few months ago after being a member for about a year. The only reason I stayed around was for the information, BUT I've discovered that as our membership grows, we post about it almost at the same time. I couldn't stand the griping and never felt comfortable posting.

As an admin, I will admit one thing though - it's very hard to decide what's okay and what's not. That is why there are three admins here that are on equal footing. We decide between the three of us what's the best action to take.

I've lurked there some but am not a member...never felt as good there as it does here.

Isn't that amazing...a message board on the computer screen can make us feel bad.

I'll stick to crochetville where the most positive crocheters go

;) :cheer2

Barbara

Good for you! I've been a member of a board like that, where there were fights all the time. The drama was unbelieveable. it was supposed to be a parent support group, and all they did was judge each other and make people feel bad. It was horrible.

Crochetville is THE friendliest message board I've ever belonged to. I love it here too!

I just want to weigh in here and say:

I am happy for you for unsubscribing, I did so last week. And I was VERY happy about it. I've belonged to that list for hmm I wanna say 4 years? Perhaps longer...The only reason why I stayed that long was because even tho there was so much drama, there was a wealth of info that I couldn't find anywhere else...then I found Crochetville.

I was so sick of that email list. People constantly complain and bitch about EVERYTHING if it even remotely veers off topic or slightly perturbs somebody. I think the reason why Crochetville is so successful is because it is a message board that allows us various ways to express ourselves, and constantly has the Rules posted so people know what's appropriate or not etc. Hell, we even have posts that help people post! :lol I love it!

:)h Thanks to everyone here at Crochetville and all our Admin as well, ....I feel a group hug coming on....:grouphug and you can bet that doesn't happen @ crochet partners!

I saw your email PrincessTrish. I've been debating about whether to stay on that list or not. It's full of great info, but it's also full of "where can I find this pattern" - geez - try a Google search. I understand when you're looking for a particular pattern for something, but when you're asking for a dishcloth pattern? Sigh.

The big dog pee thing a couple weeks ago and the other flare ups that happen every couple of weeks make me really consider if I want to stay there.

I guess I'm spoiled - I found this board first! And the people here are so friendly and helpful and nice. :) :)h

Guest ctrymaus

I've been on the CP list since last ... fall? I just joined here, since I actually wanted to know more about the Martha poncho. I feel the CP list owner *is* mean-spirited and such: I wrote to her privately, asking that info about THE pattern be allowed, since the one (that we knew about then) that was coming was going to be Lion Brand's *take* on it, not the original. She sent me back a nasty reply. She's not interested, so at that point, she didn't care for any other messages to show up about it. I see, however, that she is not blocking messages about it, at this point.

Oh yeah, that thing about banned topic words, but no one knows what they are until they transgress...that is just insane. ::sigh::

I have posted a few times there, but I never get very quick answers. Sometimes noooo answers. And with all the flame-y stuff, I am loathe to ever post again. This last (and I saw that ridiculous post about Constitutional Law--good grief!) has me trying to decide if *this* is the last straw for me. There is information that comes through there I haven't found anywhere else...sorta the small amount of wheat among all the chaff.

So I will look around here some and make my decision pretty soon.

Did you say anything to the list owner when you unsubbed?

Joanna aka ctrymaus

Archived