What is the best (read "cheapest") way to mail squares?

sakurasaku

Okay, since all of you who roam the "crochet for charity" section are experts on these things.... How do you mail your squares? Do you fold them? If so, how, and what envelope do you use?

The standard large first class envelope is not big enough to hold a 12 x 12 square flat. I ended up fashioning an envelope out of a paper shopping bag the last time. :lol If you are sending, say, 2 squares, what's the most economical way to do it? The post office charges extra for unusual sizes, so I would like to find a way to minimize the size and the weight, while keeping the package secure. When I used a cardboard box, the box itself weighed as much as the contents, which doesn't seem like a very efficient way.

I would appreciate any ideas. The more I save on shipping, the more money I can spend on yarn and hence, more squares.

I use 10 X 13 inch envelopes. I can get 2 12" squares in one of those. I think it is .87 for one. Can't remember how much for 2.

when I only send one I fold the envelope and tape it so it is not too big for the square.

But I don't see anything wrong with making you own out of paperbags :)

well a business size envalope will hold a 12 x 12 sq I know I have done it!!

You are a dedicated woman! :lol

Thank you for the feedbacks. I will try a large manila envelope the next time. I spent over $4 in postage with the cardboard box because it was a heavy duty box used for sensitive electronic parts. :eek

I use either the 6 x 9 or the 10 X 13 depending on how many are going out also another way to save a little bit is use one that has been sent to you.

you can turn it inside out look like new!!

If you're sending a couple squares at a time, check out the flat rate boxes; otherwise I like the mylar type mailing envelopes cause they have more give than a manilla envelope the same size.

I use 10 x 13 and it cost $1.35 to mail two, just add .48 foe each one after that...of course it will depend on the type of yarn you are using too. All can be mailed from home as you buy the regular >39 stamps and then buy a book of .24 stamps to use to reach the additional postage needed.

:clap Hi, I used the 10" x 13" manila envelope and folded the squares in half and laid them side by side overlapping the edges not the fold. The folds were on the outsides. It worked pretty good, but just went out today, and my girls mailed it so I don't know how much it cost, but I mailed a big box, the manilla envelope, a 6" x 9" bubble envelope and a regular business envelope. All projects out, YEAH :clap :clap :clap

My bil runs a mail house and he told me that a square envelope will cost more than a rectangular one, so it is definitely best not to make one to match the squares. The reason is because the machines can not auto read the address, because it can not tell where the address is because the envelope is square, so the envelopes have to be hand canceled.

But other than square versus rectangle, I don't think there is a cheaper way other than first class. It all depends on how much they weigh and how far they are traveling.

Archived