Wedding afghan: cotton, acrylic, wool...?

Megfoot

Question

Hi all,

Please be kind, as I am new. :D I have been crocheting for 10 years, but I'm really not sure what to do here. Friends are getting married on June 24, so I don't have a lot of time. I found a nice pattern for an on-the-double red/white/blue afghan. But I don't want it to be some cheapo material, as it is supposed to last them a long time, and I don't want it to pill or otherwise look gross in a year's or less time. Money isn't really an object (just this once!!).

Has anyone used worsted weight cotton to make an afghan, besides a baby afghan? It seems like it wouldn' t pill as much. Or is there another material that I'm overlooking? I'm just so used to the Red Heart stuff, but I have noticed that over time that can look a bit ratty. I just want them to LOVE LOVE LOVE their afghan. :manyheart

16 answers to this question

Bernat has this new stuff that is sooo soft. Check it out! It's mostly cotton with some nylon.

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=coolcrochet

Susan

I did see this, and I did think it was rather expensive. Still, I would have considered it--but they didn't have the right colors. Has anyone else noticed that when you're looking for a particular color or set of colors, NONE of the yarns you have in mind come in those colors?!

I bought some Simply Soft to see how it goes. I checked on Patons Grace but it's too light. I wasn't excited about modifying the pattern to deal with it... maybe if I had more time. I know you're supposed to have a year to give gifts, but that year can go by awfully fast. (Can you tell I've done this before?)

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Caron simply soft is my pick too! I have made several items for my girls out of it like pincho's and shrugs and it washes great! believe me I have washed the stuff alot! Red Heart does pill after a few washings I have noticed that!

Bernat has this new stuff that is sooo soft. Check it out! It's mostly cotton with some nylon.

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=coolcrochet

Susan

:eek I saw that at walmart last week - over three dollars for a teeeeeny tiny skein about 3 inches long and one inch high! Can you imagine the cost for an afghan?:faint

I know she said money was no object this once, but I couldn't help mentioning it...:blush

We're always gentle!

I'd actually do it in worsted weight acrylic if you want it to last. Cotton has a tendency to pill over time. For longevity I'd suggest Berella 4, Patons Canadiana or Bernat Big Value.

I just finished a ghan for my brother's wedding, and it softened up beautifully when I washed it. It was done with the Bernat Big Value

http://stashaholic.typepad.com/adventures/2006/05/im_done.html

Probably not incredibly helpful and definitely kind of bad ... but I always go for yarns that will feel good when you are naked :devil (stepping back into lurk and out of the stones ... lol)

My parents have an afghan that my father's grandmother made them (at least 2 decades ago, possibly a bit more) and I believe it is made out of cotton yarn. It still looks beautiful, it's their blanket for summer and although I can't vouch for how it was when it was new, by now it is very soft. Cotton gets my vote.

I think I would suggest cotton, or maybe a cotton/acrylic blend. I haven't been crocheting long enough to know how it would look over several years, but some of the more open shawls I have done in Simply Soft are starting to look a little ratty with long pieces of fuzz coming up from the ends. Just my 2 cents. :)

I'd suggest Simply Soft as well..two years ago I made afghans for most of our family members..8 in total..and they were all made in SS..beautiful colors, wonderful texture, and SO nice on my hands!! I really think if I'd used anything else I'd have wound up with major friction burn on my fingers..

I've made several smaller lap-ghans from SS too and I've seen those after several washings...no issues with pilling at all...and it's a god price too!!

Good luck!!!

Jessie:D

I have made wedding gift afghans with Caron SS and Caron Pounders, and both came out great! I'm working on another one right now, and had to work with what I had in my stash, so it's part Caron Sayelle in Woodsy Green, and part Red Heart in Claret (bride said her decor included these colors... hope it doesn't look to Christmassy!). I don't generally mix brands, but I don't think it'll make much difference in the end with this project. :)

I'm doing "Plaid Winner" on page 80 of Afghans for All Seasons book 1, as the bride sells Longaberger baskets, and the afghan has a sort of "woven basket" look to it. Her cake featured a basket weave, and her centerpieces were flower arrangements in Longaberger baskets. :D

As for the deadline, you actually have an entire year to present the couple with a gift. I actually made a few potholders and dishcloths for them, and wrapped them with a card letting them know that this was only part of their gift, and that more was to come. Before we left the reception (wedding was Saturday), I asked the bride what her colors were in her home. Didn't say what I was making, just needed some color ideas. :D Now I just hope I can get it done in time to bring down to the family reunion in a month! Get crackin' missy!

Sometimes, instead of asking, I just observe what colors they selected for their wedding (dresses, flowers, etc.), because they are usually colors the bride really likes. Twice now I have managed to also nail their decor colors by doing this... go me. LOL!

I agree that cotton may be a little stiff, unless you went with a blend (like cotton/silk), and that wool is always a risk because of allergies. Acrylic is actually the safest choice.

I'm making the 63 Squares afghan as a wedding present for someone and I'm making it out of Caron SS, mainly because the bride is allergic to wool. It's coming out very well, so far.

I have used Simply Soft, but not for afghans. I made a cardigan for my grandma with it. I know they'd have great red/white/blue colors. How does it work for afghans?

Archived