CUTE ALERT: amigurumi dogs

Dortya

Um. I find that mildly desturbing. The animals are really cute, and I'll be glad to donate my cats hair if someone wants it, but that's disturbing.

I love it! I wish I could spin so I could do something with the mounds of really soft and totally scent-free rabbit hair that my bunny is shedding now, which is probably a lot nicer than dog hair. He's lost enough in the past couple of weeks to make at least 2 amigurumi rabbits!

I think it's neat! I have been collecting my doggies fur after the get groomed as I hope to learn how to spin it into yarn. What a neat thing to do with their fur!

I second theworm, just a tad disturbing for some odd reason but can't put my finger to it...cute dolls though!:think it's like if someone were to wear a "dog fur" coat...even though it's obviously not killed for it, it just doesn't jive w/ me! sorry...

Did you see this site?

Crocheted dogs with REAL dog hair, its amazing!

http://ami-gurumi.com/wannko1.htm

This pages shows all sorts of pictures.

http://ami-gurumi.com/wannko3.htm

This pages shows the harvested dog hair.

Those are so creative. :)

I wish I still had my dog TinyMonsters (he was a 100 pound Bouvier des Flandres) I would have loved to learn how to spin yarn from his hair.

I dont see it as disturbing, since it only uses what comes off the dog during normal brushing and grooming. I used to brush my dog outside and would have to keep stopping and clean his brush off because it would get so full of hair. If it was a windy day, I'd just throw the hair out into the yard...there are a lot of birds in my neighborhood and I've seen Tiny's hair used as building material for their nests. (now I wish I'd saved it all)

I'd love to be able to crochet a little TinyMonsters replica to remember him by. (Tiny died in mid-march from chronic diseases from being over-vaccinated throughout his entire life....if I'd only known). I saved one sample of his hair from his brush. I guess if I were to attempt that I'd have to find a nice mohair or a fun fur to replicate his hair.

I have heard of this - these are really amazing! They did such a great job of copying what the dog looks like, too. I saw a site once that would make like a mouse toy out of your cat's hair for you, but this is really something! How did you ever find that site? I crocheted a replica of my favorite dog, Maggie, but I used yarn. She's a Jack Russell, so I wouldn't be able to spin her short hair anyway. :lol And now she's older & has more white hair on her head where it used to be brown! Happens to the best of us I guess! :D

How did you ever find that site?

My old black cat gets more white hair also :lol

Anyway, I googled :computeami gurumi as seperet words and than used the images option. And there they were! :dog

I spin a lot of my own yarn and have yet to spin dog hair. I've heard of a lot of people saving the hair and having someone spin it inot yarn and then crocheting or knitting it into an item. On one of my email lists I think someone used to do this for pet owners after their pets passed away. I have 2 dogs, one of them has no fluff she is all super short hair and wiry hair (Cheseapeake Bay retriever) but my puppy is a mix and I am hoping he gets some nice fluffy winter hair... Maybe I will be posting a photo of him after I spin him up next year.

Archived