Double crochet stitch help

Ga_Rebel

Question

Hello everyone. People have been so nice here. I have a stitch question to ask.

When you do the double stitch...Do you do the foundation row and then go straight into the double stitch or do the foundation row, then a row of slip stitches and then go into the double.

I hope that made sense. I look forward to all the help I can get. Thanks.

19 answers to this question

Is there a video clip somewhere on the internet that shows how to do this stitch. Does anyone know?

There are great video clips at Annie's Attic:

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

For your pattern, it is telling you to do your first double crochet stitch in the fourth chain from the hook (do not count the chain that is on the hook). Then you will do one double crochet in each chain stitch back to the beginning. This is your first row made. (Note: If you started with 12 chain stitches and you do your first double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook, and then do one dc in each chain back to the beginning, you should end up with 8 dc in your 1st row.)

Umm, excuse me, Sherry, but I think that should be 10 dc (9 stitches plus the ch-3 at the beginning which counts as 1 dc). I'm not meaning to be picky but it might confuse Ga-Rebel if she ends up with more stitches than you said :eek

You're absolutely correct - 10 dc in your first row! (I was at work and trying to draw it out on paper - they kinda frown at me if I whip out the ole hook and yarn while at work!) :blush

Ga_Rebel,

:think Are you doing US DCs or English DCs? (English DC is the same as US SC)

:think Are you going into the top of the stitch or between?

Unless the pattern calls for it to be different, you usually work just under the two loops which sit on the top of the stitch you are working into.

:cheer Dont worry about the edges too much as long as you are doing the first and last stitch to keep the sides straight.

It is not often that you leave the edge of a piece of crochet as it is.

There is usually a border added or seams worked together so any uneveness does not show.

:cheer Your sample looks quite neat and even, so I think you are on the right track.

Confidence comes with practice and your crochet improves when you relax.

Set yourself small tasks when you start or you will get sick of the project.

This is where squares are good to do, but remember you are then working in the round which is slightly different to working rows, unless you do your squares in rows.

All the best.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

:cheer I posted a link to a wee video I made. (In the thread about crocheting faster.)

It is not wonderful but will give you an idea of how to do the DC. I think I did a couple of rows of DC, then a couple of rows of SC. I was really trying to show how to hold the yarn and hook as you work. (It is a little jerky but I think it was a bit long and Photobucket shortened it.)

It is good for a laugh anyway as my husband scanned along my weedy pots before finally going to the job in hand.

(I have weeded the pots since then.)

Remember, Rome was not built in a day. Just be prepared to pull your work undone a lot before you get going.

Maybe practice on a ball of yarn that you are prepared to waste.

Good luck.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

(Note: If you started with 12 chain stitches and you do your first double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook, and then do one dc in each chain back to the beginning, you should end up with 8 dc in your 1st row.)

Umm, excuse me, Sherry, but I think that should be 10 dc (9 stitches plus the ch-3 at the beginning which counts as 1 dc). I'm not meaning to be picky but it might confuse Ga-Rebel if she ends up with more stitches than you said :eek

Ok I think I kinda understand this but I have a question. Here is what it says to do:

Make a foundation chain of 12 stitches..(I did that)

Yarn over hook, insert hook in 4th chain from hook. (I did that)

Yarn over hook and drop loop through stitch. There are now 3 loops on hook. Yarn over hook and draw loop through first 2 loops on hook. There are now 2 loops on hook. ( Took me a bit but I got this)

Yarn over hook again and draw loop through both loops on hook. One double crochet has been made and loop remains on hook. (finally made it this far)

Work one double crochet in each remaining chain ( so here I don't count every 4th chain?)

The bold part is where I am stuck.

Going through the back (or front) loop only produces a texture. There is a "ridge" in the your work. Sometimes you want that. Personally, I find going through both loops easier, so if I were you, I would start with that.

Depends on the pattern. Generally it will tell you if you should only go through the front or back loop. If there are no instructions, then go through both loops.

Your username is perfect for this thread!

Ok I think I understand that. Another question so I get the first row of doubles done I chain 3 then turn..from there do I go through both top loops or just the front or back one?
Depends on the pattern. Generally it will tell you if you should only go through the front or back loop. If there are no instructions, then go through both loops.

Archived