Comfortghans????

I was wondering is it OK for one person to make the whole comfortghan? Are there any poems or prayer to send along with the ghan? I have a friend whose husband passed away this morning and I would like to send her one of my afghans. Is this a proper thing to do?

I agree, also you could consider making a prayer shawl :hug If there isn't some sort of poem I think some creative person on here could think of one to send along with anything to comfort someone who is in pain.I think that's a great idea I've actually really wanted to make some things for people but I sooo hate sewing squares together.

Any willing poets out there ;)

If you feel moved to do then do it, don't worry about whats right or not. I think it's a lovely jesture and would be something your friend would probably love and cherish.

Honestly, I think you should send it. Even if there is no poem to go with it, you can enclose a card explaining that it is a comfortghan and why you are giving it to her. You will be quite suprised at the response that you get. I don't think it makes a big deal as to whom contributed. It's the thought that counts.:D

That is a lovely and very appropriate thing to do for your friend. Think of it as a hug for her when you can't be there to hug her in person. I've made them in simple hdc in groups of three because that is a number of significance in our faith. You can use any group of stitches that means something or, nothing at all. What I tried to do in each group is think of a prayer, wish or lovely thought for my friend as I worked.

If you have an afghan ready to go, you could say a special prayer or poem as you prepare it to ship, or have it formally blessed if you wish.

My sympathy to you on your loss.

I think it's totally appropriate. A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer about a month ago. A week ago she had a mastectomy on her right breast. I made her a comfortghan in pastels, with pink being the main color, edged in white. She loved it. Plus it helps to keep her warm during her hospital visits. (Sorry, I didn't take a picture of it as I was short on time getting it made and giving it to her. I had a few weeks from start to finish to make it.)

Ditto this to Sprtsbear . When things come from the heart, does it matter what society says that it is supposed to be?

Honestly, I think you should send it. Even if there is no poem to go with it, you can enclose a card explaining that it is a comfortghan and why you are giving it to her. You will be quite suprised at the response that you get. I don't think it makes a big deal as to whom contributed. It's the thought that counts.:D

Archived