Q's on Teaching Children to Crochet

Hi All,

My name's Sarah, and I teach middle school children in an inner-city school. Recently, I've been wearing my crochet creations to work, and many of the students have commented about how they would love to know how to make their own. The idea came to me to offer an after-school crochet class to these interested kiddos.

I was wondering if any other teacher/community leaders here have done something like that. Being in a low-income area, it might be difficult for the children to get materials. The school is willing to purchace things for the group, but I do have a limited budget. Can anyone suggest places (online, or brick-and-morder) that I can get about a dozen of the same size hook, and loads of yarn on the cheap?

If anyone has any tips on teaching crochet, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for your help. :flower

I've taught kids a bunch - and it can be challenging. I'd suggest you keep the group size to no more than about 6 starting at a time. Everyone is going to want help at the same time :) With this number, they can all look over your shoulder pretty well. Depending on how well they catch on, you could start a new group each day. Then the ones who have "gotten it" are able to help the ones just starting.

Sounds like those kids are lucky to have you! Being dedicated enough to be willing to do something like that for them could give them a very valuable opportunity. :)

Edit: I was talking to a knitting instructor earlier and she suggested a book called "Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting" or something similar. She said that most of the kids she dealt with learned pretty well from the method presented in that book. (I've never looked at it, so couldn't vouch either way.) Link to book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764596411/002-2747225-4273627?v=glance&n=283155

Anyway, I'd also be interested in what everybody has to say!

I've got a Brownie troop that wants to do their Stitch it Together badge, and several of my girls have expressed an interest in learning to knit or crochet as part of it.

I'm thinking at our next meeting, we'll dye some yarn with KoolAid, then after at the meeting after that, maybe I could teach them to make some SC swatches or maybe granny squares or something. Maybe they could make a purse or we could stitch them into a baby blanket that we could give to our troop's old leader who moved away and is now expecting.

I'm also kicking around the idea of either taking them to Michaels to help whipstitch together some squares for the Warm Up America weekend later this month and/or signing up the girls that are interested in learning for a class. My daughter tells me I'm really bad at explaining how.

(Heh, that was a long post for not really adding anything to the conversation!)

I just finished a 2 time session with a Girl Scout Troop. The leader supplied the yarn and hooks. They picked Simply Soft Brites and H and I hooks. We did the pattern from Lion Brand Claudia's Clutch, I would suggest another brand of yarn, something like Red Heart Acrylic.

It was a little difficult trying to teach the girls who are left-habded. Keep the group to six or under. It seems everyone needs help at the same time.

I made swatches for each girl. I used one strand of yarn and chained 18. I did about 6 rows of single crochest. I brought them to the class and showed each girl how to do the single crochet stitch. They had to make their swatch 8 1/2 inches long and they they could sew them into the little purses.

The girls were very excited to sew them and sew on the button.

I wish you luck with your project!!:cheer :cheer

There is a book out there (by Leisure Arts, I think) called "Teach a Group of Kids to Knit". When I saw it about a year ago I immediately emailed the company and asked them to create a similar book for crochet. Haven't seen it yet, but still hoping.:think;)

In the meantime, the knit book might be of help in formating the class (group size, what to do for a first project, how to describe what you are doing in kid language, etc.) Also, there is a book called "Teach me to Crochet" which is geared toward younger teens which might be of some help.

You are so lucky. I have had two daughters, two Girl Scout troops, and all of the school kids watch me crochet for years, but no one is ready to learn. Oh well, when they do, they'll know who to come to.:D :D :D

I've yet to order anything from them, but Smiley's Yarns has great prices on yarn. There is a $30 minimum order, but it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem. I could probably pick up a few hooks and send them to you, if you like. What you're doing is wonderful. I hope it works out well for all of you.

Awesome! Thanks for that link as well as the tip to make the group smaller. If anyone else wants to pipe in, please do.

You might consider being in touch with some yarn company's, using letter head stationary from your school, and request yarn (and/or hooks from those who have these).

Include the school address in the body of the letter as well. If the company agrees to send you anything, ask for the box be sent to your attention at the school.

Granted you'll "be surprised" as to what yarn will arrive, but it will allow the kiddos choices. And it would be an adjunct to your budget.

While waiting to hear from yarn company's, your LYS manager might be receptive to allowing you discounts on quantity purchases if you have some sort of authorization on school letter head.

You could make slips, with #'s or letters, for a draw as to who picks first. If all goes well and you get more company donations/store discounts, try to keep track of who picked first the last time and possibly have that person recuse themselves from the next draw.

This would require you checking, so the slips = the number of those picking.

The recused would pick last.

Before you plunge in, you might want to decide if the crocheting will be done only in class.

Initially, until your learner's have caught on, this might be the better for you to keep everything together. This would help keep hooks/yarn from getting misplaced/lost.

Consider having the learner's make some sort of tote to keep their yarn and a small case for their hook as a first project.

CGOA has info on teaching children.

http://www.corchet.org

Lionbrand has a site for kids. They also have a newsletter, for their regular information along with the kiddo's. You can get ideas.

http://www.lionbrand.com

Then too Annie's Attic currently has Pattern-of-the-Day.

Though this is other than just for kids, you might find one you can adapt for them.

http://www.anniesattic.com

Unsure if it would be the better for you to get permission on printing the pattern at any site. It might be the better. Copyrights come to mind.

Kudos on your doing. My parents long ago taught me that working with your hands matters. Getting young folks onto the path is commendable.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.

:-) 's

Hi there! I teach 2nd grade at a rural school and understand the socioeconomic reasons for not wanting to ask families to provide materials. Our school offered a knitting/crochet class last year as part of our after school program organized by the PTF group (Parent, Teachers and Friends). I believe the kids had to pay a fee or bring their own materials, I can't remember, I was just beginning myself and almost took the class. Our PTF is very supportive of activities like this, if I was doing it with my class they might pay for materials. Do you have a parent group at your school? I also agree that you should try going directly to the yarn company or to a craft store and explain what you are doing. You never know, people can be very generous when children and education are involved! Good luck, keep us updated!

~Sara :hook

An article on crochet me has some tips of things to get anyone started crocheting.

I'm planning on doing another workshop for the kids in my homeschool group again. I am going to make up swatches ahead of time so I can show them how to add yarn and change colors.

Good Luck. I really enjoy sharing crochet with others.

Samantha

Thanks to all the excellent advice and links. Here's an update:

I've gotten a hold of the head of the "Family Learning Center" of our school. Instead of doing an after-school group just for the girls, I thought it better to see if I can get family involvement...maybe a parent/child bi monthly crochet bee. I'm meeting with him after our Feb break next week (wooo!), to iron out the details.

I'm very excited.

there is always e-bay. i buy my yarn there all the time, and i have seen many auctions of crochet hooks offered also. when teaching children, the main thing to remember is that they all learn different. i had one little girl last summer who tried and tired and did not get it until the very last day of summer camp. the other girls caught on right away, so i was actually able to help this one more, but if they are all needing help with the same thing at the same time, this is what i do(i teach crochet at joanns) i have my students sit and watch me the first time, then i will personaly go to each one and ask if they need any help. those who do wait and take thier turns as it is often something i have to physically show them how to do. at that age group should not be to hard, i have been teaching 6 and 7 year olds. if they can anyone can. good luck,:D

Archived