new hook-new user

BrianC

Gao nei hao, happy new year, hello,

My name is Brian and Katchkan has been after me to sign onto this group for some time. I made her the hook and the hook case at Christmas time. I thought I would post a pciture of the new hook I made her and get some feedback on what people think they might like along the line of the hooks I have made and other ideas as well as ideas on what people would be willing to pay for either the hooks or cases.

This hook is based on a steel boye #11. The handle is ebony and pink ivory.

crochethook.jpg

Brian

It looks beautiful. I am not sure how much I would pay for it, it would depend a lot on how it felt in my hand and how durable it was. Does it come with the hook already in the handle? Or is it a handle that can have different hooks put into it? (I would love to have a handle like that!)

Gao nei hao, happy new year, hello,

My name is Brian and Katchkan has been after me to sign onto this group for some time. I made her the hook and the hook case at Christmas time. I thought I would post a pciture of the new hook I made her and get some feedback on what people think they might like along the line of the hooks I have made and other ideas as well as ideas on what people would be willing to pay for either the hooks or cases.

This hook is based on a steel boye #11. The handle is ebony and pink ivory.

crochethook.jpg

Brian

Fantastic! :bounce

That's absolutely gorgeous, Brian, as is the hook case you made for Katchkan. I'm honestly not sure what to say you should charge for something like that, especially since I'm sure the ebony and ivory you used aren't cheap! I'm willing to bet, though, that if you put something like that on eBay with a reasonable starting bid based on cost of materials and something for your time, you'd get buyers. All you have to do is a search on wooden crochet hooks to know that there is definitely a market for quality work.

It looks beautiful. I am not sure how much I would pay for it, it would depend a lot on how it felt in my hand and how durable it was. Does it come with the hook already in the handle? Or is it a handle that can have different hooks put into it? (I would love to have a handle like that!)

Truthfully I like this idea. One handle that I can put my steel hooks into.

That is a beautiful hook though. I hold my hook like a pencil, so I would need a thinner handle. I like the smooth look. As to price, that I do not know. It would be the price of material and then some for your time.

Always glad to have another hook maker and friend here.:hook

Welcome Brian and oh my that hook looks awesome. I can't help you with pricing but with the ebony and ivory it would definately be worth a bit but well worth it. Hope you continue to make these and definately look forward to getting one eventually.

Mary

Beautiful work Brian! And welcome from one hook maker to another! Hooks like you make, of rare woods and shaped so well should fetch alot higher price than what i get for my whittled hooks ($15+). But i expect you'll find like i do, its not really the dough as much as it is making something for folks like those here who appreciate your work and use it in turn to make beautiful things. I'm hoping to also turn some hooks someday when i can afford a lathe. Would you mind telling me what kind of lathe you use? I'm hoping to get one of the smaller ones with a 16" between center capacity so i can also turn knitting needles and such.

Its a great avocation Brian and addictive. Just seems like such a right thing to do.

Since I am the lucky recipient of this hook I thought I would post a picture of me using it. I must admit I will have Brian tweak it a bit for me. My fault. he made it just exactly as I asked. I need it just a smidge smaller for my hand. The inspiration for this hook was a antique home made hook done in metal. It fits so comfortable in the hand I thought It would be great for the thread hooks and be less stressful on the hand. Just we made it the same size and adding the thread hook changed the length. Any way once he gets it just the way I want it I think it will become one of my favorites. It just nestles so wonderfully in the hand. We are both learning on this but figure between the two of us we should be able to come up with some great thread hooks that are both comfortable to use and wonderful to behold.

BriansHook.jpg

BCHook.jpg

Archived