What is mile a minute????

curibe

Question

16 answers to this question

I just completed one (it's in Babies show-and-tell and on the 1/30 post on my blog) and it took WAAAAY longer than a minute. It took six months!! I have a Leisure Arts book of MAM 'ghans, but it'll be a looong time before I open that one up. No, thank you.

I really need to learn to form an opinion. :lol

I did a MAM once, a hunter green/cream one that turned out beautifully. It took awhile because I get bored easily and the strips get boring. I was making it for a friend and that's the only reason I finished it. She loved/still loves it.

I might do another one if I can find a pattern that holds my interest. I have a MAM book and several other books that have MAM patterns in them.

What I really want to do again is a filet afghan I made for someone once. It was really gorgeous and I like the pattern.

I love these! If I work every day I can get one done in 4-7 days. They are great 'cause you can take them along anywhere-every row is different. if you get tired of doing one row, next thing you know its time for the next row. you can do all the first rows x # of strips, you can do each strip separate(that's how I do mine) Some of the patterns are easier than others- I try it out on short sample with all the rows then if I like it I MAM away. Last year I completed 17 afghans in 2 months!

I had the Leisure Arts book-lent it to someone and never got it back! I'll never do that again

I don't like the mile a minute blankets.

I once tried to make a baby mile a minute afghan for gift. I only had three weeks to get this done. The blanket called for like 12 strips. I did six in one night and I had to spread the rest out. By the time I had it all lined up and ready to sew together, I noticed that the last six kept getting shorter and shorter. I now have a kind of triangular blanket that my kids play with. I haven't touched a pattern like that since. It was horrible. Actually I think I cryed. But maybe some day I will try again.

I've also done Mile-A-Minute. They aren't all that faster than anything else, but for me at least the speed with which I can crochet an afghan depends on the complexity of the pattern, and not so much whether it is a mile a minute or not. And so I like them neither more nor less than other patterns, though it is true that they are more portable and don't require sewing in as many ends of granny squares (which I hate doing). Anyway, I will post a link to my red and white mile a minute afghan in the show and tell area. I have actually been sleeping under it the past fewe nights.

--nikki

Well it is not a mile a minute for sure... but it is quick. It is crocheting a long strip of several rounds and then depending on the project add the strips together making an afghan etc. Guess you could call it something like a very long granny square lol!! just teasing...

:):hook

I agree they can get kind of boring. My mother commissioned one from me last December. It got old, and I only ended up finishing 11 of the 15 strips. They look lovely sewn together, though.

I myself had always wondered about them. I have never heard anything good about them though. I might attempt to do one just to say I did. I don't know though. I get bored easily if it seems to go to slow. I am glad someone asked the question.

Many people love Mile-A-Minutes (MAM). There are a zillion different pattern types though, some much harder and slower than others. The advantage to them is that the MAMs are more portable than a regular afghan pattern, and much cooler to work on during the summer -- yet it has less sewing together than a granny-square type of ghan. In fact, some of them connect as you do the last round of a strip.

There is a MAM arrow ghan posted right now in the show and tells.

You are not the only one who doesn't like mile- a- minute. I've heard from others who don't particularly like it. I haven't tried it but it seems a bit tedious.

Cristy

ha ha ....it is the biggest con there is in crotchet... it takes longer than a minute, and you wouldn't want to be doing a mile! They are strips which you join as you go. I have tried it, lost interst and it is in the UFO pile awaiting a judicial decision on its future!

I have seen some rathe pretty babies rugs done in it if you want an introduction. http://www.caron.com/projects/cs/pro_cs_milemin.html

Archived