A couple of my ghans!

Qmare

Mare - your bottom one is just the pattern I wanted to make in that entrelac stitch! :ty I saw a much simpler version of the stitch (used 8 stitches; I like your 6 better, I think) in an old crafts 'n things mag (Sep 1988, quilted patchwork scarecrow couple on front), but it only showed rows - did you do yours in rows to make each triangle section, then stitch them together, or work in rows, turn a corner, work next row, turn, etc.?

Your work is so beautiful - I loved the other 'ghan also - bet your son does, too!

Wow. I was surprised to see any posts here on this thread it's so old. Patricia, I really wish I could remember how I did it. I know that I didn't use triangles on the ends like the pattern that was posted shows, I did a row of diagonal squares and then worked around that. Does that make sense? I really want to make another one of these someday. Maybe I'll make a table runner or something out of the wool I've been dying... I bought some New Zealand wool and the stuff I got is too coarse for anything except felted bags or table wares.

Mare - your bottom one is just the pattern I wanted to make in that entrelac stitch! :ty I saw a much simpler version of the stitch (used 8 stitches; I like your 6 better, I think) in an old crafts 'n things mag (Sep 1988, quilted patchwork scarecrow couple on front), but it only showed rows - did you do yours in rows to make each triangle section, then stitch them together, or work in rows, turn a corner, work next row, turn, etc.?

Your work is so beautiful - I loved the other 'ghan also - bet your son does, too!

Can someone describe to me on this pattern link what the MC and the "bars" stand for? IE: it says go through 2 bars? Thanks! I'd really love to try this w/ a spectrum of colors.

Can someone describe to me on this pattern link what the MC and the "bars" stand for? IE: it says go through 2 bars? Thanks! I'd really love to try this w/ a spectrum of colors.
Hi, simonssez!

MC is main color, and "bars" refers to the vertical portion of a stitch, as opposed to the loops running horizontally between them.

If you are not familiar with the afghan stitch, Annie's Attic has a tutorial on it, along with video here: enjoy!

Hi, simonssez!

MC is main color, and "bars" refers to the vertical portion of a stitch, as opposed to the loops running horizontally between them.

If you are not familiar with the afghan stitch, Annie's Attic has a tutorial on it, along with video here: enjoy!

Ah...thank you very much! I thought MC might be main color but I wasn't sure since it also referred to Color A, etc. I'll go have a look at the tut and video. I love the spectrum of bright colors in the round ripple thread in the afghan and have a baby gift to make. Thought I might try this one instead. THat is, after I finish the starghan, round ripple, and strip afghans that I have in progress for 3 other people!

Mare, I hadn't realized it until you pointed it out that Margaret Huber's pics do show half diamonds on the ends - I guess her patterns show one how to make a smooth edge. The one I'd seen is like you describe; each row has full diamond/squares, and so the edge is a zig-zag. I'm thinking that it should be possible to work in the "square", by changing the point of departure from the corner square by 90degrees. I'm going to give it a try and let you know how it works out. :hook:hug

I saw your 'ghan thread in your post to the entrelac thread - and then I saw you had done the Around the World quiltghan that I specifically wanted to try. glad I found it; it hadn't occurred to me to make the pattern rectangular, which is much more practical in a throw. I found the 'Ville in March and wouldn't have seen your Postage Stamp Afghan otherwise. (love this place!) :manyheart:cheer

Nice afghans. I like the first one. Where can I find the patterns?

Well, there aren't really proper patterns for either but I'm so flattered that you'd ask!

The first one is done with dc alternating front loop and back loop only every other stitch, for 3 rows, then change the alteration.

The second one, recently I discovered is done in entralac crochet. Patricia posted a link up a few posts. I learned to do it from a lady I used to work with; neither one of us knew there was a name for it!

You all made my day. Wish the colors in these pics were better. That first one is a really pretty royal blue and autumny ombre and the bottom one is nice rich colors. I used my old cam to take them. The top one now resides at my son's house but I could try to take a pic of the bottom one.

That bottom one is made all in Caron SS and another yarn they used to sell that is like SS and is so heavy and warm. I snuggle with it almost every night in front of the tv.

I didn't see this post in January either! That bottom afghan is gorgeous! I was glad to see the link to the entrelac technique too. I've never tried it but I like tunisian crochet. You really did a great job on both of them.

Hi, that's called a sunshine and shadow afghan. The pattern is in an older book titled "Crocheted Favorites & Originals of Jessie Abularach" Volume Two. The copy I have was printed in 1980. Best chance would be Ebay I would guess.

Well, there aren't really proper patterns for either but I'm so flattered that you'd ask!

The first one is done with dc alternating front loop and back loop only every other stitch, for 3 rows, then change the alteration.

The second one, recently I discovered is done in entralac crochet. Patricia posted a link up a few posts. I learned to do it from a lady I used to work with; neither one of us knew there was a name for it!

You all made my day. Wish the colors in these pics were better. That first one is a really pretty royal blue and autumny ombre and the bottom one is nice rich colors. I used my old cam to take them. The top one now resides at my son's house but I could try to take a pic of the bottom one.

That bottom one is made all in Caron SS and another yarn they used to sell that is like SS and is so heavy and warm. I snuggle with it almost every night in front of the tv.

How many time did you chain to make the first afghan?

Thanks

I honestly don't know... and the ghan lives many miles from me :lol

It's a very large twin size so if you chain long enough to hang on either side of a twin size bed, that would be about it. Looooooong chain :lol

Archived