Put your Martha Stewart Hats on!

chickpea67

How would you go about hosting a crochet/knitting party?

I've invited my friends who I know knit/crochet over to my house next weekend to watch movies and work on our projects. Some are people I get to see quite frequently, and one is a friend whom I haven't seen since HS that I ran into in the yarn dept at JoAnn's!

So-- if you were throwing a party for all your fellow fiberists, what would you do?

What food would you have?

Would you have little favors?

How would you integrate a yarn theme into the food or decorations?

Any ideas you have are welcome and I'm sure would help us all out for others looking to have a SnB session.

OOOoo--

Like how about a party game where you put some different types of yarn into some brown paper bags-- have the guest reach into the bag and try to guess what yarn it is by feel!

Then the guest that guess the most correctly can win the the nicest skein of yarn that was in the bag!

(Sorta like the baby shower "guess the contents of this baby food jar ")

Wow, that sounds like so much fun, wish I could go, lol!!

There is a craft project on the LB website for a 'yarn cake', that looks cute, it's for a baby shower, but could probably be adapted for an adult party as well, make it for a prize or something.

Definitely have favors, too bad that Target doesn't have any more of that $1.00 yarn, that could have been cool for table top favors! Maybe one of the craft stores have a clearance bin of yarn too. Simply Soft is a nice, inexpensive yarn. AC Moore around your area? You can get it this week for $1.50 a skein.

Hmmm, agreed on the 'non greasy' foods, finger/tea sandwiches are fun, maybe hot tea, coffee, hot cocoa and cookies too.

That is a great idea to have a party (sadly none of my friends crochet or knit). Maybe a goody basket filled with yarn,and other notions to the fastest knitter, or crocheter you could have your own contest. Like When Martha had Lily Chin on her show. as for food. Tiny, finger sandwiches only you could switch the names around ie yarn names (Boucle Bologna, Homespun Ham, etc.).Post and let us know how everything goes, and above all have fun.

coffeeandcrochet:coffee :hook

Oh those are good ideas!

Kiki, i've already set up something for a yarn swap. I think if I did patterns too people would begin forgetting things. But I hope tohave more than one--or have the other girls start taking htem over--so I'll definitely remember your idea for next month's!

I'm also thinking of having LOTS of toothpicks available since i remember reading in an old thread on what you eat while you crochet and people saying they'll stab their food in order to keep their hands clean.

Smyz-- hehe-- I do that too-but to the obsession level I do this to!

Toothpicks are a great idea. I held a SnB party just before I left VA for NY, I made sure I had tons of Wet Naps! The girls at my party prepared ahead of time and came prepared with a stack of squares and we stitched together an afghan that was my good bye gift! I cried like a baby. Have lots of fun!

I don't know how this would work, but I think it would be really cool if it did work. What if you had some very basic pattern, say for a hat, something small like that. Ask everyone to bring some yarn scraps, you know, yarn that they might never use because they don't have enough of it. Pass the hat around and have everyone do a round or two with the yarn they brought. Have some kind of raffle or contest and the winner gets to keep the hat.

Hello-

Check out this link for a knitting party from a show called "Weekend Entertaining" on the DIY channel. It is for a knitting party but it has some nifty ideas for a crochet/yarn theme-including yarn ball centerpeices and fun felt bags for projects.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wke/episode/0,2046,DIY_14344_38512,00.html

Debbi

It sounds like a blast. If guys can have football parties, we can certainly have crocheting parties.

I would keep the snacks simple. Maybe things like pigs in a blanket, veggies and dips, and other easy stuff. Nothing greasy.

I have seen decorations in a knitting book that you can hang balls of yarn from a coatrack or something to brighten up an area. Balls of yarn in pretty dishes displayed would be a great centerpiece. Have patterns to share, extra hooks, and other items.

Favors could be colorful hooks, such as crystalites, yarn and a quick pattern, in a small bag.

Have fun and maybe this could become a monthly occurance. You are sure lucky to have friends that all have the same talents. None of mine crochet or knit.:(

Have a great time. One more thing, make sure the lighting is good all around the main room, so everyone can have a great time.

Linda

I think your party sounds like TONS of fun. All the ideas are super.

But, if it were me, I would try to keep it a little bit less expensive and fancy so that it is "repeatable." You know? If it is tons of fun and everyone loves it, you could do it monthly. If it is toooo big a bash, no one else will want to "compete" with it.

Yet (being wishy-washy here) you could always call it a kick-off party for simpler gatherings. Keep us updated!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Party is this weekend. I certainly do not want to overdo anything because my intention is to have it once a month or so and have it rotate since I am the one who live's furthest away. I'll keep you posted!

• 1 year later...

As it has been said time and time again in Hollywood, "any publicity is good publicity"! Martha Stewart will actually end up making more money after spending her 5 months in jail than had she just not made that stock transaction. Nothing like a HUGE payday for breaking the law!

well me and my mom always listen to her show in Sirius radio Ask Martha Stewart Show that’s EST-9:00am.. Well in spite of her issues right now she is still a trendsetter... it doesn’t mean that Martha is a bad person. Well in most cases people would say that she is a criminal... But when you going to think that Martha is still a good person and she’s a good talk show host too..

many thanks!

8avgao5.jpg

taChibaMaboi

This sounds like fun! Let us know how it turns out. I'm not sure what to do, but the tooth pics, finger foods, and wet naps sound like a good idea. Have various drinks, even just punch or water in case someone doesn't like coffee or tea (I'm one, although I drink diet coke:yes).

Debbi

Archived