Anyone ever hear of a tapered hook?

jimbo

This might be totally off the wall, but i've been thinking about it for some time and decided to make a prototype for somebody to try. I'm working on a hook that has a pretty sharply tapered neck that goes from about a K at the hook to a Q near the pads (so its conical).

The thought is that such a hook might be useful for free form artsy type work.

Is this a nutso idea?

Or if it isn't, would one of you adventursome artsy types like to try it out?

If no one shoots the idea down right away, I'll finish it and post a picture. What the heck. At the worst it'll be worth a few laughs.

I would be more than willing to try the tapered hook. It sounds like it would be a good one to hold onto with arthritic hands. I sometimes have trouble with the regular hooks - especially where the lettering is because it rubs my fingers and thumb the wrong way when I am doing a large project. This could be really great.:)

That sounds very very interesting - where does it become a Q hook size? Down by the hook, or up in the grip/handle area? I'm trying to understand which you mean. One would mean the stitch tension would be different and the other would mean a nice big grip.

Either way very intriguing!! Like Kari says - lots of possibilities!

I gotta post a pic that's all. The grip will be like my others... or rather unlike my others since they all seem to come out a bit different.... but the grip will be bigger than the typical hook.

Its the hook end that's the big experiment. See the hook itself is a K and then the neck part (between the hook and the finger grip pads) tapers like a dunce cap from the K size to a Q. All this happens in about an inch and a half.

I'll finish it up and post a picture.

I gotta post a pic that's all. The grip will be like my others... or rather unlike my others since they all seem to come out a bit different.... but the grip will be bigger than the typical hook.

Its the hook end that's the big experiment. See the hook itself is a K and then the neck part (between the hook and the finger grip pads) tapers like a dunce cap from the K size to a Q. All this happens in about an inch and a half.

I'll finish it up and post a picture.

I am VERY curious now then. I would imagine that could produce some really interesting stuff!

Thanks for clarifying!

Like every one else I'm curious to see this, I wouldn't mind trying it either. My very first thought was also that it would be good for arthritis/carpal tunnel sufferers. If it turns out to be a good idea, Jimbo, don't forget to patent it!

• 2 weeks later...

Still pondering the idea... when my finger heals a little more and i get caught up on orders, i'll get back to it and post a picture.

I'd love to see a pic of what you mean Jimbo as the hook you made for me sounds similar but because i have small hands i found where i hold mine is a little thick. Other than that its perfect and i love the way it feels. By the way what did you do to your finger? Whittle off a bit more than you mean't to ?

Archived