Spike stitch bag

swapnae

Inspired by the spike stitch bag at Crochet Me, but nothing like it, sadly....

This was made with the Windmist brushed acrylic yarn that I got from an Elf:hug in Ocean Blue and Hollyberry colours. The yarn is very soft and fuzzy:c9 I used Susan Bates Crystalite size G/6 4.00mm hook.

Here it is:

img15278sv.th.jpg

Close-up:

img15288oa.th.jpg

And I used my Knitting Knobby to make the cords for the braid:

img15302zj.th.jpg

That's a great bag... I love the stitch. I haven't seen the bag you're referring to, but yours is stunning.

Great idea about the knitting knobby. I have a 5 prong one that I was using to make sterling silver chains on... I bet it would work great (and much easier) with yarn.

Joan

Your bag turned out very pretty, I love the knobby knitting idea too, did you insert anything into the tube or is it only the yarn? I saw a handle done with a cord inserted into the tube, it would make it stronger, wondering if you did that :hook

Great idea about the knitting knobby. I have a 5 prong one that I was using to make sterling silver chains on... I bet it would work great (and much easier) with yarn.

Joan

Joan, I made a silver chain and ankle bracelet on a knobby knitter too, turned out great!!

It's very pretty! I love the spike stitch! I still use my spike stitch felted bag which I made months ago. :-))))))

I was just wondering how that stitch would look felted. Hmmm... guess I'll add it to my list.:yay

Joan

Your bag turned out very pretty, I love the knobby knitting idea too, did you insert anything into the tube or is it only the yarn? I saw a handle done with a cord inserted into the tube, it would make it stronger, wondering if you did that :hook

You know, I never thought of that!!! I must do that next time, I'd love for the straps to be stronger. Thanks, Mimi!:hug

It's very pretty! I love the spike stitch! I still use my spike stitch felted bag which I made months ago. :-))))))

I'd have loved to do that, except we don't get wool hereabouts...if ever I do, I might try the bag again, it works up so fast!:cheer

But right now, since the Windmist yarn is so fuzzy, it sort feels felted anyway:blush:devil

Wow! That looks great! So that's what you can do with a knitty kobby!! How did you finish the handle ends and how did you attach them to the bag? Just sewn on? It looks great! :)

Wow! That looks great! So that's what you can do with a knitty kobby!! How did you finish the handle ends and how did you attach them to the bag? Just sewn on? It looks great! :)

Well, the handle ends were sort of bound off as in knitting or crochet. Right now they are just pushed in and knotted on the other end, but I'd better sew them in as well, I think:blush

Not yet, but it better be if I don't want my pens/hooks and similar stuff popping out:blush I'm just being lazy about the sewing bit:P

Aha. I thought I saw some lining between your great colors. I hear you on the sewing--it's always my least favorite part of crocheting anything!

nice work Swapna..what is a Knitting Knobby?...remember reading on your blog that you got in Hyd.

jaishree

It's a wooden spool-like thing with 4 nails on one end...the pic is on my blog. It's made by Pony and cost Rs 42. Very nice! They call it a French Knitter.

Archived