Which way do you loop your yarn???

As I was teaching my nephew to crochet I noticed that he kept trying to loop the yarn the "wrong" way. A friend of mine who has just learned also does this. Does it matter which direction you loop the yarn on your hook?

I loop mine clockwise which means I wrap the yarn over the back of the hook and pull it through the top of the hook part. Both my friend and my nephew wrap the yarn around the bottom of the hook and pull it through the opposite way. If I try to do this, I can't even do it... Does it matter which way you wrap your yarn around the hook? Since I'm trying to teach my nephew stitches now that he's learned the chain I'm wondering if this makes a difference or if it's ok to do it what I consider "backwards." THANKS!

(Heck, maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time!)

I'm not sure I completely understand which way you're saying you do it - but I don't think it matters. I just did a little sc swatch with two rows going under the yarn and two going over it and they look identical.

I'm not sure I completely understand which way you're saying you do it - but I don't think it matters. I just did a little sc swatch with two rows going under the yarn and two going over it and they look identical.

It's hard to explain how we do things with our hands, isn't it??? Ok, well that's cool... I'm glad it doesn't matter... I'll let my nephew do it whichever way feels comfortable with him...

If you are saying what I think you're saying, then I do think it matters. (Maybe not for sc, but definitely for dc.) Let me try to explain what I mean. Are you saying that your friend and nephew are wrapping the yarn from the front to the back of the hook when they yarn over? And you wrap it from the back to the front? Does that make sense? If we are talking about the same thing, dc will look completely different their way. I know this since I crocheted that way for about a month when I first started and could not for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong. :blush

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. (And makes some sense.)

I wrap mine round from the back of the hook- which is anti-clockwise :scrachin Since I taught myself how to crochet from stitchguide.com I just wrap the hook round like I saw in the videos on there. Not sure if it matters or not which way you do it-I just like to kinda grab the yarn with the hook.

I think it's only natural to try to yarn over they way they are. I know that's what I wanted to do when I started crocheting. But the books I read to teach myself to crochet specifically said that you need to come up over the back of the hook instead of down and under the front. I think it must make a difference or they wouldn't push you away from that natural inclination.

If I am yarning over when the hook is up (like the first yo of a double crochet) I go clockwise. If I have the hook stuck in a stitch (like the first half of a single crochet) I go counter clockwise. So, if I am doing a double I go clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, clockwise!

michele

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not quite sure if it matters either way. I was taught the way that you do it, and that is how I do it to this day. I've never seen anyone crochet the "backwards" way that you described, so I'm not exactly sure. I guess if it's all done that way I don't think it would really affect it any...?

-kelli

If I am yarning over when the hook is up (like the first yo of a double crochet) I go clockwise. If I have the hook stuck in a stitch (like the first half of a single crochet) I go counter clockwise. So, if I am doing a double I go clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, clockwise!

michele

That's the way I do it too. It seems to depend on where the hook is in relation to your yarn feed during the execution of the stitch. I don't think it's going to matter all that much as far as how the stitch turns out, but it does have an effect on how easily and smoothly you can hook the yarn and keep it on the hook as you are drawing it through your loops. I've never thought of it as "clockwise" or "anticlockwise" though, just under/over. Does that make sense? :think I also turn the hook alot as I'm pulling through loops/stitches. The "hook" part gets swivelled from pointing up to facing me to pointing straight down then back up as I go through the loops/stitch. So in other words, I am rotating my hook constantly in the process of making the stitches. I use the "knife" hold.

I do mine counter clockwise. I don't think there is a wrong way as long as you get the right tention that is needed for the stitch and the stitch looks okay . We all can be as unique as we need to be.:manyheart

This whole post confused me! I am self taugh and I crochet with my hook parallel to my body, working my project up and down, as opposed to side to side. When I yarn over, it goes over the hook, away from my body. Does that make sense? When I read the other posts, it seems as though most everyone holds their work differently than I do which changes the directions.

Archived