Fancy hooks, how comfortable?

Ilah

I am tempted by all of the pretty custom made hooks being offered on ebay. I would like to get some, but wonder if they are as pacticle as they are pretty? I was wondering if people who have bought them can give comments. Do they work as well as a regular hook? How comfortable they are compaired with regular hooks? How durable they are compared to other hooks? Has anyone had a problem with them breaking?

The only "fancy" hooks I have are ToTC hooks, which I absolutely adore. They're beautiful, affordable, and so so so comfortable -- the hook portion is perfectly shaped to make crocheting with them a dream. I'm very careful with mine, always store them in their little cases and only use them at home, but they seem to be quite durable (and I snap Crystallite hooks with great regularity so I'm not exactly easy on my hooks).

i have a growing collection of totc crochet hooks-they are wonderful and comfortable to use.

i have a hook from silver_goose that i purchased on e-bay-

i was disappointed with it-

1 " lip,throat, neck plastic bates hook attached to beautiful shank

I have a set of the Brittany Birch hooks and I love them. They are longer than aluminum hooks and more comfortable for me to use. They are more in-line heads like Bates Hooks. The TOTC hooks are like boye hooks.

I also have the Clover Soft touch hooks and love using them.

• 3 weeks later...

If the fancy hooks from EBay are the Greydogs~I have 2 of them. Both of which are for thread. I will say that they are pretty basic no fancy dangly beads or nothing like that. They are very comfortable to use and fit nicely in your hand!

I can't imagine spending more than $15 or so on a single hook. I have seen some of those GD's got for $200 or more! At that price I can't see using them...those are showpieces! So what is the point of even having something that you can't use.

The other 2, I purchased from Ebay are made by Tom Diak~also called Grafton Fibers~http://www.graftonfibers.com/crochet.htm. Even though these aren't fancy these are by far my favorite yarn hooks! So smooth to the touch and feel like an extension of my hand!

Well worth the amount I paid for these. (I did pick them up several years ago....) Worth a look!

mgf~:frog

I completely agree with you, MyGirlFriday. I'm all for the fancy wood hooks, like others have mentioned, I'm a loyal customer of Bill's at Turn of the Century. I have a size G hook from him, and I just purchased a size H and I hook from him the other day. They're gorgeous to look at, fit into my hand perfectly, and I can crochet longer because, unlike aluminum, they have that little bit of give in them that makes it so that the part of my palm nearest my pinky finger isn't throbing after 20 minutes of crocheting. Which equates to what? More quality crochet time! :hook

Anna's Inventory:

3 Brittany hooks - love 'em, took me about a week to get use to working with them

1 ToTC hook (with two more on the way) - marvelous, I took to 'em like a fish to water...feels like you're working the yarn in one fluid motion, like what crochet should feel like! :D

The only "fancy" hooks I have are ToTC hooks, which I absolutely adore. They're beautiful, affordable, and so so so comfortable -- the hook portion is perfectly shaped to make crocheting with them a dream. I'm very careful with mine, always store them in their little cases and only use them at home, but they seem to be quite durable (and I snap Crystallite hooks with great regularity so I'm not exactly easy on my hooks).

I could say almost word for word the same thing. I absolutely adore mine and actually avoid projects anymore that would require me to use a hook that isn't one of my TOTC! :lol

• 3 weeks later...

me too, i adore my hook, and use it every single day. is hard to switch back to normal size hooks after these as they are that comfortable:D :D if you can afford it, please check these out as you will not be dissapointed. i am saving to buy myself another one after i was raoked with one of these beautiful hooks. what kind caring and generous people we have here on the board:manyheart

I have a beautiful hook from Craft Designs 4 You (http://www.craftdesigns4you.com/crochethook/customacrylicgemhooks.htm)

The handle is a swirly acrylic polished to very smooth finish. They also have "Bejeweled" hooks with charms on the top. I like using mine; it's thicker without being heavy.

Archived