Great Flake Race! Over!!

natalie058

Update: The race is on!!

Okay, here are my thoughts on this...

You can start warming up any time you want to, but the Great Flake Race will occur for only a week: from Sunday, Dec. 11, until Saturday, Dec 17.

In that time, the goal is simply to *complete* as many snowflakes as you can. Size doesn't matter, but keep us posted on your progress throughout the week. I know not all of us have digital cameras, so you don't have to "prove" your count with photos - but please be honest about how many flakes you've made, and remember we looove to see your pretty pictures!!

Some pattern suggestions: Many excellent snowflake patterns can be found HERE at CPC. I personally will also be using the book 99 Snowflakes, [which I found at JoAnn's and got with a 40% off coupon!!] and there are probably dozens more leaflets dedicated just to snowflakes.

Another great snowflake resources is THIS WEBSITE that Julie referred me to. I noticed some people have already asked about stiffening, and she has some good information on that here, as well as other useful tips about blcking, sparkle, etc.

Participants:

kariholtz

Julie

yarnjunkie

Pink

Jimmie Lu

Country Bumpkin

donnalynn2

ellcrys11

shelain22

Kimberly

quirkyvirgo

crochetaddict033

espap

DesertCrocheter

earthwhisper

crochetlady

vhanna26

pepper

natalie058

hobby horse

Happy Flake-Making, Folks!!

-------------------------------------------------

I figured, since it's that time of year again...

and so many of us are making snowflakes already...

and a lot of us have so many more to make... :blush

Why not get encouragement from other in a Snowflake Race-Along?? There's still time to get them made and shipped before the holidays...

So, whatdya think?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone wanting to do this, but who can't do thread, you can make several of these out of the 4 ply cotton yarn! I have made several out of both thread and the 4 ply cotton... The both turned out nicely! Just didn't want anyone who can't do thread to get discouraged from joining!

I did the ones from the Lion Brand website out of 4 ply and I loved em!!! It took me about 2 stiffenings to get them "stiff" but it worked!

I've been going crazy trying to get enough snowflakes made (I think that I am up to 15 in the past week now) for the holidays....I know that I will never make it, but this should help me along just a little bit more!! Great idea Natalie!

:cheer:flake:cheer:flake:cheer:flake

What is your preferred method for blocking?

I have tried the spray starch from a can which was easy & fast, but not enough stiffness for my liking.

I have also tried the sugar method, but that was a wee bit sticky and messy for me, as well as I've read about ant and pest attraction being a problem with snowflakes being stiffened this way.

I have tried the spray starch from a can which was easy & fast, but not enough stiffness for my liking.

I have also tried the sugar method, but that was a wee bit sticky and messy for me, as well as I've read about ant and pest attraction being a problem with snowflakes being stiffened this way.

I bought that cotton stiffener stuff from Jo-Anns... You just drench it with the stiffener and let it dry... It works like a dream!

I found this link HERE when I did a search for starching crocheted items. Read all of the feed back and see if any of them would be something you would want to try. Hope this helps:D

I bought that cotton stiffener stuff from Jo-Anns... You just drench it with the stiffener and let it dry... It works like a dream!
I might just need to wait until I am back in the US in 10 days (nope, I'm not counting) and pick something up then! No need to rub it in that you have a JoAnns and I don't! :lol

I found this link HERE when I did a search for starching crocheted items. Read all of the feed back and see if any of them would be something you would want to try. Hope this helps:D
Thanks for the link - I'll peruse my way through the suggestions!

Count me in! This is my first attempt at thread work but I've finished 6 flakes in the last few days and blocked them. I bought fabric stiffener in a spray bottle that is working pretty well. I have also heard that you can dilute Elmer's Glue and it works just as well (seems like I heard that from Deneen.)

Happy flaking everybody!

Those look great Kari!!!

I missed this thread yesterday (thank you Julie for the heads up!) and of course.....I'M IN!!!:flake :flake

I used the elmers glue and water mix to stiffen mine. Heard that from Deneen, Kari, and a few others as well. It worked just fine for me, even though I'm sure I didn't get even parts of glue and water! They look good, and it stiffened just fine.

Elmers glue and water? WOW! I must try that! The bottle of stiffener I got cost $5.99!!!

I can't wait to start this on Sunday!!! I've decided to put all other projects down (yea right!) and concentrate on this for one whole week! Maybe I'll have enough to decorate my tree in the end!!! YIPPEE! :cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

Archived