Are you a CGOA "Master" or a designer? ?'s for you...

I've been crocheting for about 7 years now. I have good tension and can follow patterns with fair ease. I love learning new techniques and how to better improve my talent.

I'm wondering for all you designers out there: How did you get into it? Did you take a course, did someone show you the ropes? Or did you just figure it out for yourself? I would love to design, I have ideas in my head, I just don't know how to get them into a pattern that makes sense. I mean, I know how patterns are written and I'm sure I could do a blanket, I just don't know how to design sweaters and other clothing to size. If I have a pattern for a 0-3 months baby layette, I don't know how to make it for a 3-6 month size. If they have instructions for 0-3, 3-6. and 6-12 then I can usually figure out how to make a 12-18 by just mulitplying the increases but other then that I'm stumped. Is there a book out there to help with how to design? Or basic knowledge of how to change the size of something in a pattern?

Also, is anyone out there a CGOA "Master"? I'd love to do the program, but I don't feel confident enough in my understanding of crochet design. I wouldn't have any problems with the tension or technique, just with the problem-solving and design related questions. Has anyone else done this? Did you "study" for it?

Point me in the right direction please. :hook

Hi Tracey,

What ever happened to CGOA? I tried to access their website yesterday and it has disappeared. :( I am also interested in the design aspect and have been tearing my hair out over sizing, ease, and trying to wrie a pattern for different sizes. I could use some help myself.

Where in PA are you? I am a fell time RV'er but stay near the MD/PA line to visit family several times a year.

Roli

i want to design too :blush i have ideas in my head aswell, but its just getting everything down into a pattern, i think i would be ok if it was one type of stitch, apart from that i want to know EVERTHING there is to know about designing :D

I completed the Master's Course this past spring. It's challenging and fun and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their understanding of crochet. You get a whole year to do something like 20 swatches, so while it may seem intimidating it is quite doable if you pace yourself to work on it throughout the year.

This is the book that made a career in design seem feasible:

Crocheting For Fun & Profit by Darla Sims

It very clearly spells out how to get started, what to expect, how the design world functions, etc.

HTH! :bounce

Oh wow Drew! I'm going to check that book out. I started designing the hard way. I first got bored with patterns that were available at the time, so I started to modify patterns to my liking. I then moved to where there were NI patterns available, so I had to learn how to design clothing out of necessity. I had nothing to work with, so it was a crash course in designing where I taught myself everything. Let's just say that there were lots of frogs around me. hee hee. Rip it, rip it, rip it, rip it. I don't know how to design a doily, or something like that, but I can design pretty much anything in clothing. I can also look at just about any photo of clothing and copy it. I don't do that so much anymore, but that's how I learned. I would get photos of clothings that I liked and work on the piece and work on it until I got it the way I liked it.

I first tried to sell my items on the internet, but you really don't make your money's worth like that. At least, I didn't make as much as I wanted. I decided that there must be a better way. Someone suggested that I try selling my patterns to a company, so I sent them in. Wow. I got a super response, and have been happy every since. It's a learning process, though, and I have made lots of mistakes along the way, but the publishers have been super patient and nice with me. I think that they are used to us "newbies" and just appriciate the new ideas that keep comming in. If you're thinking about designing, then try it. I'm sure you'll like it.

I completed the Master's Course this past spring. It's challenging and fun and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their understanding of crochet. You get a whole year to do something like 20 swatches, so while it may seem intimidating it is quite doable if you pace yourself to work on it throughout the year.

It very clearly spells out how to get started, what to expect, how the design world functions, etc.

Thank you Drew :hug That book just went on my Christmas list for this year.

My little local library has this awesome book... I discovered it last year and have been regularly checking it out since. It definitely is a great resource!

I went to search and typed in cgoa and it came up with all the listings. If you type crochet.org/index.shtml into the address bar you will get the cgoa web site.

Thanks JC. I'll try it.

Roli

Thanks Drew! What great information you folks have on this forum! I'll get that book post haste and see if I'm capable of original design and all the grunt work that accompanies it.

Roli

Archived