From my great-great grandmum

Cuddlefish

It was my birthday last month, so my grandmum used the opportunity to give me something special. She said it was made by my great-great grandmother. I've never seen anything crocheted as tiny as the edging on this handkerchief before. Trying to remember, I can seem to recollect her showing me a tiny little hook in a wooden case many years ago, that must be what was used for this. I think it's pretty amazing.

The pic's a little blurry, but you get the idea:

lommetrklde3xr.jpg

This is made with one of those U-things, where you crochet the thread that is suspended between the 'legs' into long strips, that you crochet together into wider bands. I have a fairly big one, but I can't imagine how small the one used here must be:

gimpelidse17yj.jpg

I didn't even know she had that lying around. I love it. :c9

I think they had more patience doing those things, back then. And I can't believe that those items aren't completely murky looking after what must be close to a 100 years. :eek

I think they had more patience doing those things, back then. And I can't believe that those items aren't completely murky looking after what must be close to a 100 years. :eek

I agree. Older times they had more patience. Learning those types of crafts always make my head go bananas. These items are beautiful and I am sure you will cherish them forever.

That is a wonderful Gift. I have every size of hairpin lace tools. The smallest being 1/4 in wide. They did such beautiful work with these things. I have used mine to make pillow case edgings and chokers. I like hairpin lace it is relaxing to do. I am glad you have these thing to Treasure.

Gorgeous! What an awesome gift to have!! My Father remembers his Great-Grandmother doing really small doilies and lace - I wish that we still had some of them but my Dad believes that they got lost while his parents were divorcing back in the 70s :( G-ma Beckeman was from the southern part of Sweden!

Archived