My first coaster

crocheitor

It's my first "useful" piece (the other one is an incomplete scarf) and it was completed rather quickly in comparison.

I thought I would share a photo even if the coaster is far from perfect. Impatience beat perfectionism, and I think I won't care about the uneven stitches when there's a mug is on top of it. 

I used a 5 mm hook and cotton thread. The pattern is to single crochet the chain below, then do two single crochets on the next chain, and repeat, 1, 2, 1, 2 etc. I broke this pattern several times because the uneven stitches below wouldn't line up with the active yarn. And it looks like the errors compounded. Hope that made some sense. 

crochetcoaster_20171103.jpg

Welcome to Crochetville and to crocheting! 

You did a good job of making it flat, even though you didn't follow the pattern. 

There's a formula for keeping round objects flat. As the circle grows, you have to add stitches to keep up with the larger diameter. Doing 2 stitches in the same stitch is called an increase (inc). It's how you add stitches. 

Here's the sc formula...

1. 6 sc in a ring

2. Inc around (12 stitches) 

3. Inc, sc around (18 stitches) 

4. Inc, sc, sc around (24 stitches) 

5. Inc, sc, sc, sc around  (30 stitches) 

6. Inc, sc, sc, sc, sc around  (36 stitches) 

And so on, adding 6 stitches each round.

It doesn't matter if you do a increase then the sc, or the sc then an increase,  or the increase in the middle of the sc. As long as the increases are spaced evenly around. In fact, it helps to mix it up to keep it round.

Also, it's really easy to lose count while making a round object. Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each round. A stitch marker can be a piece of different colored yarn, a bobby pin, a safety pin, an earring, or bought wherever hooks are sold.

If you're using a piece of yarn, flip it over the first stitch of each round. Pull it out at the end. It's called a running stitch marker. For other markers, move it up each round. 

Hi Redrosesdz, thanks so much for the tips! Yes, I wasn't using a marker. I'll use a safety pin next time since I have a bunch. I'm thinking of crocheting some small flowers next, then I don't have to worry about keeping the work flat. Still, I'm starting to appreciate the importance of following a pattern closely rather than crocheting willy-nilly.

Practice makes perfect as they say :hook 

Good tips above from Redrosesdz.  I notice you used the back loop of the stitch, not both loops - this makes a cool raised spiral design on this piece.  Just pointing this out in case it wasn't on purpose; typically you'd use both of the loops of the stitch in the round below.  If you use the back loop when working flat (meaning, back and forth and turning, not round and round) you get very pronounced accordion pleats (it's how you make ribbing).

I was still typing as you posted just now...good advice about following a pattern, you'll learn so much that way.  I didn't have the internet or someone I could ask when I started crocheting, after an initial lesson from a friends' mom I had to figure out all the rest by sleuthing out what the patterns were trying to tell me.  Even recently (decades later) I made a lace doily where a direction just didn't sound right, but I followed it and it created an unexpected 3-D effect, so I'm still learning!.  Hang in there.

Hi Granny Square! Good eye! You're right, I was using only the back loop, mostly for being lazy (to me it is slightly easier to use one loop than inserting the hook under both loops). I did end up liking the result; if I flip the coaster over, it looks completely different, and less interesting, I think. I believe using both loops will result in the front and back looking the same, is that so?

No, the front and back side of crochet stitches look different, but they wouldn't have the ridge if worked thru both loops. 

For future reference, it's good to know this if you are working on a project that starts in the round, then starts to work flat (example, if you make a top, you might work the body in the round and switch to flat at the armholes).  You'd want to work the body in the round but not work in a spiral with the same side facing like you did for the coaster--you'd chain up and turn every round, so the stitches in the body and the front/back in the sleeve area look the same.  The fabric would alternate 'front' and 'back' rows facing, so would look the same in the body and the worked-flat area above that.

Hi Granny Square, that sounds a bit too complex for me right now but I appreciate your help! I think it will just take me a lot more practice for the concept to sink in; like you say, practice makes perfect! Great to have experienced crocheters look at my work!

To crochet flat circle with sc I always start with 8 sc. Every next round I add 8sc (spaced out evenly).  I only start with 6 sc when I want to make a ball (like amigurumi head and...).

To get a flat circle using hdc I start with 10 hdc.

To get flat circle using dc I start with 12dc.

Krys

• 7 months later...

Archived