Grandma's Hooks

ratdog

These are boye, susan bates, inox, and gem.

Some say only made in USA and are stamped with the price 15 cents.

Not sure what the tiny one with the red handle is for or the big silver one that looks like an oversized sewing machine needle.

These hooks are from the 50s or earlier. My grandma passed in 1965. I need to research a few things. One might be bakelite. Not sure

post-23494-0-80320000-1483293677_thumb.jpg

The top silver one in the second post is a latch hook for latch hook rugs.  My Mom had a couple of them.

I we use to have someone on here called  HookLady.  I have not seen her in a long while.

Thanks for the info! One mystery solved.

The hook in the middle of the second post is some kind of plastic. Probably wishful thinking that it is bakelite. It doesnt have any markings

you're welcome :-)  

I don't know anything about bakelite so I'm no help on that question.  I do have one hook shaped like your plastic one, flat on the sides of the hook part.  it's a Boye I hook, marked 15¢ and has a distinct mold line and a thumb rest.  oh actually i also have a wooden Boye that is flat like that, no thumbrest, marked Boye 14 (it's about 8-10 mm I think), a stamped patent #, and the  price in pencil 15¢.  

Mary Jo I think this blog is the probably the same "Hooklady"?  http://hooklady.blogspot.com

Ratdog you might find some helpful info among these links http://hooksnstitches.blogspot.com/p/links-on-history-of-crochet-hooks-other.html

I have one of those things used for snags!  I don't know what I'd do without it.  It's wonderful for fixing yarn that has snagged on something.  My cat is old and has problems with her claws, so I'm constantly repairing afghans, sweaters, etc. with it.  It's great for loose ends that pop out in the wash, too.  It's also great for bead work, as long as the bead's hole is big enough to fit on it.  Besides my hooks, scissors and needle, it's my most used tool.

I do not know much about hooks. I only know what hooks I like and I do not like! LOL
 But I think I did recognized that "snag tool". It looks very similar to those hooks they were used in Poland to fix runs in nylon stockings.

Krys

in the second picture,that silver one to me,especially if it has a hole near the top,could be a punch tool,the yarn being fed in that open cylinder

some one got that for me as a gift and I just couldn't get the hang of it.

In your 1st pic at the top, the golden-brown hook could possibly be Celluloid Plastic. I can't see it well enough so I'm not sure. Here's a reference.

Archived