Crafting a one granmy sqare afghan

Afghans made from one giant granny square are quite popular.  The variety in them comes from the different colors used in the rounds.  Quite often they're made to use up yarn stash, so they can be very colorful.  Please post pics when you are done.  I can't wait to see your finished afghan!  :)

Not silly at all!  A suggestion before you start - turn every round instead of keeping the same side facing you.  When you do this, it's reversible, plus turning it cancels the spiral 'skew' that will develop when the square gets bigger.  The tops of crochet stitches sit a little to one side of the stitch, so when you make the next round, it sits a little to one side of the round below.  You don't notice this so much on little squares of just a few rounds, but it compounds the more rounds you add.

skew:

\\\\\\\

\\\\\\\

\\\\\\\

\\\\\\\

cancelled skew when you turn

\\\\\\\

///////

\\\\\\\

///////

Starting a granny square with rows first (or is it a rectangle :think ). That's different, I like it. Are you turning after each round of pink? If not, when you have the same number of rows on each side (4 - 5 rounds) you should turn and do the same number of rounds the other way. If you are going to use other colors, that will be a good time to change. To make it reversible, you should turn every round, but every few rounds (not more than 5) will work O.K. Keep us posted.

Ellie 13

Starting a granny square with rows first (or is it a rectangle :think ). That's different, I like it. Are you turning after each round of pink? If not, when you have the same number of rows on each side (4 - 5 rounds) you should turn and do the same number of rounds the other way. If you are going to use other colors, that will be a good time to change. To make it reversible, you should turn every round, but every few rounds (not more than 5) will work O.K. Keep us posted.

Ellie 13

I tried making it a granny square, messed up, so I decided to do it rectangular, lol. I switched to a white, pink, purple,green verigated yarn. I plan on doing 4 or 5 rows. I really wanted to make a traditional granny square, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Maybe I can keep practicing and eventually it will be ok.

All of the pics I've seen are single crochet.  Are you by chance having trouble with the double crochet?

Last night I was at yarn group and a lady there asked me to teach her how to do a double crochet.  She had only ever done chains and single crochet.  Then I see your post this morning, so that's what made me think that was where you were stuck.  It's OK if that's it.  We all went through learning double crochet.  If it's not the double crochet, then just skip the rest of what I'm going to write.

Double crochet is not much different than single crochet.  For single crochet you insert your hook, grab yarn and pull it through.  You have 2 loops on your hook.  You yarn over and pull through the 2 loops.  Right?  Double crochet is just adding one more loop.   Here are the steps...

- Yarn over  (adding a loop)

- Insert your hook, grab yarn and pull it through (just like the single crochet)

- Yarn over and pull through 2 loops (just like the single crochet)

- Yarn over and pull through 2 loops (repeat the yarn over and pull through 2 loops to complete the double crochet)

Practice by creating a couple of rows of single crochet.  This will give you something to hold.  When you're ready to practice double crochet, get to the end of the row.  Turn and chain 3.  This gives you the height for a double crochet.  Start your first stitch in the second single crochet stitch.  You'll see that the chain 3 created the first stitch.

One more thing I should add is about yarning over.  I recently read that a small percentage of crocheters yarn over backwards.  It's much easier when you yarn over the right way.  When you yarn over, your hook goes under the yarn, which makes the yarn over the hook.  The yarn always wraps clockwise.  It's the opposite of knitting.

I hope some of what I wrote helps!  If I wrote what you already know, then I apologize in advance.

Are you increasing in the corners?  For SC stitches done around a square/rectangle, you should do 3 SC stitches in every corner.  This will keep the blanket from curling.  Also, you should turn at the end of each round.  This will keep the blanket from having skewed corners.

Are you increasing in the corners?  For SC stitches done around a square/rectangle, you should do 3 SC stitches in every corner.  This will keep the blanket from curling.  Also, you should turn at the end of each round.  This will keep the blanket from having skewed corners.

I didn't know that, I will unravel it and start it again. :)

^ what she said.  Also, when I am working a solid stitch (like you are), for the center stitch of a corner I like to make a chain - you still have 3 corner stitches:  instead of 3 SC in the corner, SC, chain, SC.  This takes a little of the bulk out of the corner and makes it turn more squarely.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived