New use for crochet hook LOL

LI Roe

Not sure if this should go here but I'm giving it a try. Today I was installing those plastic mesh gutter guards over my gutters to keep the leaves out. Well, I decided to attach them together from the end of one to the end of the next one to give it more stability so I used a cable tie and started to thread it through one mesh. Of course, I couldn't get it into the other side, just wouldn't go the way I needed it to. Then the light bulb went off in my head, went inside, grabbed a crochet hook and slipped it through the mesh, hooked it to where I needed it to come through and lo and behold, the end of the tie came up and I fastened it both ends tightly. And it was a "G" hook.

Necessity is the mother of invention, definitely true.

LI Roe

Not sure if this should go here but I'm giving it a try. Today I was installing those plastic mesh gutter guards over my gutters to keep the leaves out. Well, I decided to attach them together from the end of one to the end of the next one to give it more stability so I used a cable tie and started to thread it through one mesh. Of course, I couldn't get it into the other side, just wouldn't go the way I needed it to. Then the light bulb went off in my head, went inside, grabbed a crochet hook and slipped it through the mesh, hooked it to where I needed it to come through and lo and behold, the end of the tie came up and I fastened it both ends tightly. And it was a "G" hook.

Necessity is the mother of invention, definitely true.

LI Roe

I'm about to put mesh guards over my gutters!!! Thanx for the great tip!!!

You know those rectangular metal pieces that usually reside on the top middle of regular floppy disks? We used a #12 steel hook to fish out not one but TWO of them that were jammed in a used laptop floppy drive not too long ago. It was soo funny!

Rick insists on keeping a C hook next to the vcr. He uses it to help extricate the tapes when they get stuck (it's a really old vcr). I had to buy an extra C hook because he kepting taking mine, now he has his own. :U

I've used hooks for many things non-crochet. The teesny ones can be very helpful in getting knots out of shoe laces, unplugging lotion or conditioner bottles (I hate when that happens lol) and hubby's grabbed a hook on a few occasions too for various things. I've even used them as book marks on occasion, then forgotten where they went rofl.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a B hook to clean my niece comb and my own. it's great because I alway hurt my finger trying to get our hair out of our combs.this hook I know I'm not using for anything else.:D

Hi Gang,

I always carry some hooks in my purse for non-crocheting reasons. I have used hooks to help string decorations on my classroom ceiling, untying knots in children's shoes, and other things. Since I work with two year olds, I have to always be thinking on my feet. Just never know when a hook will be needed.

One short story. I was decorating my classroom before school started and placed some hooks on the floor. It was hot, so my shoes were off. Somehow or another, I stepped on a size 7 hook, and it went right into my foot. I had to go to the ER to have it pulled out and get a tetnus shot. It was in my foot about half an inch. So now I keep my shoes on in my classroom at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rock Linda

I was trying to slip one of those blue foamy things over my size 7 crochet hook this evening. And it slipped and went right through my thumb. OW!

I pulled it out poured peroxide over it. I got it to stop bleeding but boy was that dumb! And I still don't have the blue thingy on my crochet hook. Any ideas on how to get in on? I have one on my size 10 hook.

Hi,

Try spraying the hook with cooking spray first. It works wonders. I have tried it a couple of times and it is terrific.

Linda:yay

I was trying to slip one of those blue foamy things over my size 7 crochet hook this evening. And it slipped and went right through my thumb. OW!

I pulled it out poured peroxide over it. I got it to stop bleeding but boy was that dumb! And I still don't have the blue thingy on my crochet hook. Any ideas on how to get in on? I have one on my size 10 hook.

I put a drop of dishwashing liquid on the hook before slipping the foamy thing on, then I press the base of the hook against a book or the arm of my couch so I don't spear myself. If you put the cushion over the base and press down on the hook to slip it on you could deform or break the hook, not to mention the whole bleeding thing.

I also write the hook size on the bottom of the cushion with a Sharpie so my tired old mind won't forget what size hook it is. :think

Speaking of new uses for crochet hooks, they do a marvelous job of hooking hair out of the drain of my bathroom sink. :hook All hail the most powerful hook!

Speaking of new uses for crochet hooks, they do a marvelous job of hooking hair out of the drain of my bathroom sink. :hook All hail the most powerful hook!

I use bamboo skewers for this. I break off the pointy tip off and then insert that end into the drain. A few twists and pulls and all the hair is tightly wound onto the skewer. I can then toss the whole icky mess in trash, skewer and all.

I have used a crochet hook to clean off all the hair and junk that builds up on vacuum brushes though.

Archived