Need Votes On Color, Please!

redrosesdz

Question

I'm working on a braided, panel afghan.  I finished the first panel and didn't like how the blue looked, so I bought I completely different blue.  I finished a panel with that blue and now I like both of them.  There will be 10 panels, so I could do an every other with the blues, but I think it would look better with the same blue throughout.  Normally, I've very decisive about colors, but this one has thrown me into a tailspin.

Also, the pattern calls for doing a reverse sc joining and edging in just one of the braid's colors, but I'm thinking of doing green, gold, blue, etc., since there are 9 joins.  Would varying the colors or making them all the same color be better?  Which color?

Please vote for light blue or dark blue.  Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

post-57407-0-09342400-1434811824_thumb.jpg   post-57407-0-21198300-1434811852_thumb.jpg

post-57407-0-97187100-1434811876_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

I vote for the darker blue. :)  Beautiful pattern and color choices!  I think I would use one color for the joining and the edging, but might do a sample swatch of both ways just to see.

What a pretty pattern; is the pattern online, or a picture of it, so I can see what the finished one looks like in 1 color for joins and edge?  Or what is the pattern name, it is probably on Ravelry.

I vote for the dark blue; the other colors are darker, muted versions of yellow and green, and the light blue doesn't go as well with these as the darker blue.  The light blue would have worked better if the yellow and green were more on the pastel or brighter side of those colors.  

I'm not quite picturing how you can do a RSC join of the panels, or did you mean RSC just on the outer edge?  How fancy is the join?  I think the joins would look odd if they didn't match each other. I'd pick one of the solid colors or the variegated for the join, and maybe for the edge: 3 rounds--1 of each color -- 2 SC rounds, last round in RSC.   Not sure which of the 3 colors I'd pick to dominate if you went the other way, it might depend on the decor of the room it was intended for.

Just my  :2c

What a pretty pattern; is the pattern online, or a picture of it, so I can see what the finished one looks like in 1 color for joins and edge?  Or what is the pattern name, it is probably on Ravelry.

I vote for the dark blue; the other colors are darker, muted versions of yellow and green, and the light blue doesn't go as well with these as the darker blue.  The light blue would have worked better if the yellow and green were more on the pastel or brighter side of those colors.  

I'm not quite picturing how you can do a RSC join of the panels, or did you mean RSC just on the outer edge?  How fancy is the join?  I think the joins would look odd if they didn't match each other. I'd pick one of the solid colors or the variegated for the join, and maybe for the edge: 3 rounds--1 of each color -- 2 SC rounds, last round in RSC.   Not sure which of the 3 colors I'd pick to dominate if you went the other way, it might depend on the decor of the room it was intended for.

Just my  :2c

I love the pattern, too.  It's so easy and quick to do.  It's just a single row of ripple, braided with a sc/ch and dc border.  Unfortunately, it's not online.  It's in my Contest Favorites - Mile-A-Minute Afghan book.  Here's a link to several of the pics from the book ... http://www.123stitch.com/item/Leisure-Arts-Contest-Favorites-Mile-A-Minute-Afghans-Crochet-Patterns/LA3144&picture=4.  In the book, the braids are done in dark green, green and ecru, with the border in ecru and edging in dark green. 

A few of the afghans use the rsc to join panels.  It makes a beautiful ridge and looks fancy.  You just put the wrong sides together and rsc into the tops of both panels.  I like the look of the join in the book's picture, but I like your idea of doing the outer edge in sc rounds of the 3 solid colors.  The last afghan I did with an rsc join looked great with an sc outer edge.

Thank you both for your opinions!  I've asked a few people outside of crochetville, too.  So far I've gotten 4 votes for dark and 3 for light.  LOL

ETA: Here another afghan that I did with an rsc join and sc outer edge ...  http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/153443-crisscrossing-lines-afghan/

ETA:  I just found it on Ravelry!  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/braided-mile-a-minute-afghan

Ah!  I was not thinking MAM, I was imagining strips with a unifying border around.  With the pattern color scheme of 2 greens and ecru, with ecru as the first round around the braid, it is more 'obvious' to just pick one of the greens for the join round.  Hmm.

But the difference is that you have introduced a 4th color...

The 3 color edge I originally proposed (not realizing it was a MAM) would add a lot of width - you might have to reduce the # of segments.  Maybe just use the variegated as the final join round, since it already brings the 3 solid colors together?

The RSC join is interesting.

As far as which blue...flip one of the two cents I gave you! :lol

Wow- That's a lot of work! Very pretty though. I too vote for the dark blue. It balances the depth of the other colors then pulls them together.

Wow- That's a lot of work! Very pretty though. I too vote for the dark blue. It balances the depth of the other colors then pulls them together.

Thank you!  It would be a lot of work, if I started with a long chain for each braid, like the pattern says to do.  However, it goes pretty quickly doing each braid using fdc.

I've had different reasons for people voting one way or the other, but I have to say that your reasoning makes the most sense to me!  It's going to go at the end of a bed that has a scrappy quilt with a navy border.  All of the colors, including the light blue are in the quilt (plus many more colors.)  I'm thinking that with your explanation of the balancing, the dark may balance better with the quilt.  I can't test it though, because it's a gift and the quilt is at their house.

another too late vote for dark blue lol  I agree with Reni. It will be beautiful. Please post pics when you're done

Archived