Comfort Ghan for my soon to be great Nephew

Kristy Taylor

My Great Nephew will be arriving the end of January. We were recently told that he has a rare heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart. Basically his right side pumps in the unoxygenated blood as it travels to the left side it gains oxygen but the left side of his heart is to small and weak to pump the blood back out. This little man will be born by c section because he cant handle the stress of vaginal birth. within 2 days he will have to have an open heart surgery to reconstruct parts of his heart. at six months he will need another open heart and by a year old he will receive a third. If these surgeries dont work he will have to have a heart transplant. 

The afghan will have a white background with a heart in the center. half red half blue. 

I am in need of  red heart super saver yarn 118 white,  13 blue and 14 Cherry red  6 inch granny squares. If  anyone would like to help and send me squares for the 'Ghan I would appreciate it. 

PLease comment on here what u are willing to make and send so we can all keep track of what is needed and I will PM you my address.

I also ask if you will to send a short little note along with your squares just to let my Neice know all the lovely caring people who took a part in making this for her and all the prayers and well wishes and good thoughts that went into this afghan.

Thank you all so much in advance

Pledged squares.......

White      52

Blue         13  (no more blue needed)

Red            0

*****BTW if you guys will. when you send the squares could you please send a little note along with them to just let Hevan (my niece) know all the people that helped in making the 'ghan and all the prayers thoughts and love that went into it for her and Brantley.****

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it matter the size of the hook?

I have red heart blue and can do the 13 blue squares. Are you aiming for a certain number of rounds or just the overall 6"? And as above, a certain hook size?

Just 6 inches. hook size and rounds dont matter as long as it is 6 inches

grandma thank you 

Katy Thank you

Got the 5 blue done

did go out in the driving rain and got the white,good price too 1.79 used my 50% coupon at Michael's

so how ever many the skein makes that's what I'll send

I guess you didn't see the post where I said I would do 5 blue on the friendship ghan thread this morning

do you want me to hold onto those since someone else said she was doing all of them?

5 rounds with an H hook is almost perfect. But if an H is to small I is fine

Pine Knott. I will Let Grandma know she only needs to make 8.

thanks,  mine was with an H hook 5 rounds got me to 6 inches

5 rounds with an H hook is almost perfect. But if an H is to small I is fine

Pine Knott. I will Let Grandma know she only needs to make 8.

I'll get to work on them asap. I may have some white yarn...just have to dig through the stash.

hi guys, i used an h hook, 5 rounds, then it was a touch shy of the 6 in, so am doing a row of sc in g hook around, comes up on 6 on the nose.. I suppose I could switch to the i hook, but since I have some already made, am doing them that way for the ones I am making in the white, found my skein, it was just a 7 oz er I think, so how ever many that will do Ill send.   My practice squares, were done with mystery white, which by the way, might or might not be red heart, but not to throw off the color grid, I will do mine from here on out in red heart, and either hold the others out of the mix, or send them anyway, marked as mystery, and if you can use them fine, if not, pass them on I guess.. Or not send them at all, your choice dragnlady, they look dang the same to me, but had no label, so not 100 per cent sure of them...... 

I think my own tension must have changed here as of late, as I cannot seem to make anything to size anymore, lol or could it be the yarn, who knows, right.............Im trying!! 

so that is all, over and out, and hope we all get close to what we pledged!!

pineknott and katy what size hook are you guys using. I am going to try to make a few white. I have a little bit of the white and going to try even though my fingers hurt.

I can send at lest 10 white... I'll have to see how much I have. I'll start making them for you this evening. I'm using cherry red for Peanut's Santa outfit and when I'm done and I can make some red too if Cherry Red is okay... I don't see a plain "Red" listed on the Red Heart site... It seems to be the most plain red they have, not too light or too dark or too bright. Let me know what you think!

BTW if you guys will. when you send the squares could you please send a little note along with them to just let Hevan (my niece) know all the people that helped in making the 'ghan and all the prayers thoughts and love that went into it for her and Brantley.

Archived