Hat Help!

Monica J.

Question

I have been making newborn hats for a while, but have recently started trying hats for older kids/adults. However, when I make bigger hats they seem to bell out instead of going striaght down..I have attached a picture. I an VERY careful and make sure to count my stitches so I know they have the same number as my last increase round for the flat cicle on top.

Coudl you help me understand what if anything I am doing wrong????

Thanks for the help!

post-72706-0-37141500-1409142352_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

I have the same problem when I did hats. Sometimes they seemed to be too big, so I either adjusted the hook size or decreased stitches and rows. I use my own head as the model (hopefully since my hats go to charitable organizations, the people receiving them have the same size heads, LOL). If there is a slight difference, it shouldn't really  matter since peoples heads are different sizes. 

Roe

Thanks for the info. There is a Sally beauty supply store not far from me which is open to everybody. Will have to check out the foam heads and see if they carry them. I never knew to look there.

Roe

The 2nd hat looks much better on shape. Nice job. I too use the foam wig heads which helps a lot. I bought the last one at a Beauty Supply store for $3. I use a x-small for children and a large for adult size.

Thank you all so much!

I started over with a new hat and I think it turned out much better. I used hdc instead of dc this time so maybe that made a difference. And I also took you advice and made it deeper this time. There is only a little flair this time around.

I make a lot of hats, too and at first I struggled but then it eventually clicked and I haven't had a problem since. I agree that it looks too short. I bought a foam head for me to try all my hats on and that helps when a hat is looking funky to try it on and see. The foam heads are cheap. Or just round you up a model to try it on. 

Thank you for all your feedback. Here is a picture of the finished hat (only missing the braids on the ears).  I followed the steps to figure how big the flat circle to be...I didn't have the exact circumference so I used a size chart by age.  Then messured and stopped when I was at the correct size.  Does it only look so flaired out because I am laying it flat for the pictures?

post-72706-0-61025800-1409175814_thumb.jpg

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

Maybe your gauge isn't matching the designer's.  To go along with the head size by age link in post 2, look at the 'geometry' part of my link, scroll to about half way down where you see a diagram of a circle.  It tells you how big to make the center circle (for hats made from the top), to fit perfectly; you may need to add or subtract a round or 2 from the pattern you are following to get the size you want.

I agree with everyone else, it takes several rounds for the flare to stop.

Re: the negative ease on hats, that's a matter of taste (I make mine to fit, not to stretch--I don't like hat head! :lol).  

I have a real problem with hat patterns ending up too large and often have to use fewer increase rounds. This site gives head and hat sizes for different ages and also suggests that the hat should be 1 to 1 1/2 " smaller than the head circumference:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html#hat

Archived