Fairy Tales sampler afghan CAL- CLOSING

darski

Just curious here...

I mentioned this CAL to a friend of mine today and the fact that the designer had mis-named bobbles and puff stitches as popcorns and bobbles. 

When I explained what she had done my friend said it would be enough to make her give up on the ghan.

Now, I admit I was surprised at the labels the designer used for rather well-known stitches but it was not enough to put me off making it as she had clearly written directions for what she wanted.

As I said, I am curious to know what others thought of this bit of interest.  It doesn't change the world in any way so why be upset as my friend was :?

anyone?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious here...

I mentioned this CAL to a friend of mine today and the fact that the designer had mis-named bobbles and puff stitches as popcorns and bobbles. 

When I explained what she had done my friend said it would be enough to make her give up on the ghan.

Now, I admit I was surprised at the labels the designer used for rather well-known stitches but it was not enough to put me off making it as she had clearly written directions for what she wanted.

As I said, I am curious to know what others thought of this bit of interest.  It doesn't change the world in any way so why be upset as my friend was :?

anyone?

​That happens sometimes!  I've noticed that they even confuse the two in some stitch directions tutorials!!!  :think I just go on and do what I learned originally!  It's not going to change the world or the direction it turns!  So why let it bother you!!  Just go by what the majority of the stitch directions say to do it!  Life is too short to worry about it! ;) 

Darski, some of the designer's instructions are what I would call less than smooth, but to any experienced crocheter it can all be figured out. It doesn't bother me what you call a stitch...as long as I know how to make it...lol!

In grammar I'm considered a word nazi, but in crocheting....well, this is supposed to fun, so I just relax!

I like the way the sc stitches make sort of a frame for the square. I'm also finding that many of the colors blend with the pillow I made using the pattern from Attic 24. I may have to make this big enough to use as a lap ghan, and keep it!

As long as the description of the stitch is included, it doesn't bother me what it's called. I've noticed a fair number of typos or mistakes in the pattern, but nothing that wasn't easy to figure out what to do. A couple of the early rounds has assymmetrical stitches at the ends of the sides, but the stitch count for the round let you know it was intended.

I just finished round 41--a solid sc round. I had to rip it out and use another color when I got to the last half of a side and didn't have enough. I haven't measured it yet, but it seems like it is going to be larger than 36" square.

I think I might like to do this one again with better matching colors and enough yardage of each, so I'm not holding my breath to get to the end of a round!

I'm on row 26. Mona, like you, I can see doing this in different colors....the looks you could get from this pattern are infinite!

And I'm using an "I" hook.

Doesn't matter to me what they call the stitches as long as there are directions on how to do it.  All I can say is thank goodness there is a stitch count at the end of every row of instructions!

Amen to that, Deb! I ended up frogging two rows because I got lazy and didn't count tone of the rows. It would have looked too messy to fudge it....

I'm so wanting to jump in here, but have 3 big projects in the works and need to start a baby blanket for our niece's soon-to-be baby boy. Maybe I'll do it for the great-niece or nephew due in January... :)

I'm so wanting to jump in here, but have 3 big projects in the works and need to start a baby blanket for our niece's soon-to-be baby boy. Maybe I'll do it for the great-niece or nephew due in January... :)

This ghan has endless possibilities.  I am planning to make a sweater and hat to go with mine when it is done.  I think I may have a bit of Mexicana sitting around to add to the fun.

Darski, that set is adorable!!!!

I have survived the bobbles. Tomorrow I'll be starting row 31. And I also want to start single color baby blankets. This CAL has temporarily cured me of my addiction to working with many different colors on one project so I went to Michaels today and bought pastel yellow and some pastel baby rainbow skeins for solid color ghans. :)

Darski, that set is adorable!!!!

I have survived the bobbles. Tomorrow I'll be starting row 31. And I also want to start single color baby blankets. This CAL has temporarily cured me of my addiction to working with many different colors on one project so I went to Michaels today and bought pastel yellow and some pastel baby rainbow skeins for solid color ghans. :)

Thank you. :hug

I admit that I rarely use many colours.  I know me and my dislike of weaving in ends so this makes a change for me.

I must get a pic of mine but I want to finish the row I'm on.

We are at the lake again this weekend--with no company this time. So I've been able to have a totally free day from responsibilities and lots of crocheting. Except for weaving in the ends (I didn't do any of them as I went) I'm through with the blanket. I ran short of yarn on two rows and just used more than one color. The blanket is so colorful that I don't think it's particularly noticeable unless you look for it. It's 41".

post-43634-0-83716500-1405199912_thumb.jpg

post-43634-0-90103600-1405200195_thumb.jpg

We are at the lake again this weekend--with no company this time. So I've been able to have a totally free day from responsibilities and lots of crocheting. Except for weaving in the ends (I didn't do any of them as I went) I'm through with the blanket. I ran short of yarn on two rows and just used more than one color. The blanket is so colorful that I don't think it's particularly noticeable unless you look for it. It's 41".

attachicon.gifP7121483.JPG

attachicon.gifP7121484.JPG

That is gorgeous Mona.  I love the look of it.

I have 31 inches at row 30 but I am using dc for most of the sc rows.

I have to admit that I am finding it tough slogging to keep this thing going.  I'm on row 33 which I am doing in sc.ch1 but it is so hot on my lap at this time of year.

I've also decided that it will go to the senior's home as it will be nice for a man. 

will try to get a pic and add it in here. :wlol

ETA: post-4896-0-17707400-1405273856_thumb.jpg

I will have to see it finished but I'm not overly fond of this one :sigh

I love both Mona's and Darski's....beautiful colors!  Darski that baby set you finished is just gorgeous!  Is there a pattern for the afghan somewhere?  I love the little hearts in the corners.  

That Pinterest afghan is the Stitch Sampler afghan...it was a CAL a few years ago on here.  I made one full size and made another for a baby.  That was a fun pattern to do!

I worked on mine last night and I'm starting to feel the pain of these l-o-n-g rounds now that it's getting bigger!  I'm up to row 34.  I'm getting tired of changing colors almost every round too.  Think my next one (after I try to fix that darn ripple) will be solid or maybe just a couple of colors!

Archived