Fairy Tales sampler afghan CAL- CLOSING

darski

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope your back is better soon--I know it's miserable when it's hurting!

I've been wondering how much yarn the blanket really takes. I want to use stash and left over yarn if I can. I think the pattern says 6-8 ounces of each color, but the blanket is only 36" x 36", so it doesn't seem like it would take that much. I've just got to go stash diving.

Hope your back is better soon--I know it's miserable when it's hurting!

I've been wondering how much yarn the blanket really takes. I want to use stash and left over yarn if I can. I think the pattern says 6-8 ounces of each color, but the blanket is only 36" x 36", so it doesn't seem like it would take that much. I've just got to go stash diving.

I agree about the quantity of yarn and I expect to use stash bits for the beginning rounds.

I have just printed out this pic from design seeds as a way to start.  I'm going to add black/white and a variegated yarn to what is shown.

I am tempted to try for this one though. :manyheart

I agree about the quantity of yarn and I expect to use stash bits for the beginning rounds.

I have just printed out this pic from design seeds as a way to start.  I'm going to add black/white and a variegated yarn to what is shown.

I am tempted to try for this one though. :manyheart

Both of those color schemes are pretty! I'm going to see what variegated yarn I have and what will go with it. I think I have a couple of different ones.

It's too hot to mow the yard yet, so I went digging through boxes of yarn. I have lots of the variegated and a whole skein of the white. The other colors are between 1.8 oz and 3.1 oz in the ball.

The only other reservation I have is that the variegated is mill end skeins with no weight on the bags. I thought they were worsted, but if so, they are a thin worsted maybe equivalent to Caron Simply Soft (that's what the purple is). The other colors are RH with love and the white TLC which are noticably thicker.

I guess I'll just have to try it and see how well they mix.

post-43634-0-53661900-1404256939_thumb.jpg

It's too hot to mow the yard yet, so I went digging through boxes of yarn. I have lots of the variegated and a whole skein of the white. The other colors are between 1.8 oz and 3.1 oz in the ball.

The only other reservation I have is that the variegated is mill end skeins with no weight on the bags. I thought they were worsted, but if so, they are a thin worsted maybe equivalent to Caron Simply Soft (that's what the purple is). The other colors are RH with love and the white TLC which are noticably thicker.

I guess I'll just have to try it and see how well they mix.

attachicon.gifP7011476.JPG

They should be fine.  You can always use a ton of colours instead of re-using earlier colours. 

I have my colours picked out and now need to see how best to use them.  I am tempted to go from a dark-ish variegated through to light on the outside rows.  Must get a pic tomorrow when the sun shines. :wlol

Because the beginning rows go so quickly I am going to do the first 10 rows as a starter.

We haven't really figured out how we want to do this.  Any suggestions?

Just get 'er done?

start w/ 10 rows and then work 5 rows a week?

do 10 rows a week?

:think

Oh, count me in on this one!!! I've been looking for something different to make and this fits the bill!!!

Because the beginning rows go so quickly I am going to do the first 10 rows as a starter.

We haven't really figured out how we want to do this.  Any suggestions?

Just get 'er done?

start w/ 10 rows and then work 5 rows a week?

do 10 rows a week?

:think

Good question. Finishing time can vary so from person to person depending on the time you have to crochet and how fast you crochet. 10 rows a week would be roughly five weeks. It wouldn't matter if some finished sooner or later.

Good question. Finishing time can vary so from person to person depending on the time you have to crochet and how fast you crochet. 10 rows a week would be roughly five weeks. It wouldn't matter if some finished sooner or later.

I think it might be best to let people finish on their own time - you are right about that.  And 10 rows could be quite a bit  on the last rounds. ::wlol

I do plan to generally follow the pattern but I've done a couple of things differently...

I am using a 6.mm hook instead of the 5.mm and I couldn't do the sc last night.  it may be possible earlier in a day- :eek  but I used dc instead for rows 4 and 5.

Because row 6 was to have been dc - and I just did 2 rows of that- so I did a dc cluster for row 6.  I do think the white saved me on this one.  I just need to decide which colour to choose next from the pile there.  (White didn't show up for the class picture :rofl ) I have 9 yarns at this point - I may choose more or I may use fewer - hard to say.

post-4896-0-02785500-1404308228_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-56928800-1404308229_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-03788200-1404308231_thumb.jpg

oh, the bright pinkish color looks good! I am so easily distracted by bright colors...lol!

Huyep :h5   I was thinking I would go with the red/magenta/pink line.  I am actually thinking of adding a baby pink Hmmm  :think

Count me in!  I may not be able to send pix, but I can do the crocheting part!  I haven't chosen my colors yet, but they'll definitely be bright!  I'm anxious to see what everyone does with this!

I have finished to row 10; I will decide if I want to go on from here.  I would like to get it finished (and maybe make another) so I will see what happens.

I have some pics at photobucket to show the yarns in various ways and places around the blankie to row 10.

Note:  I forgot the baby pink when taking the pics and I changed the bright yellow to a gold.  I have moved the colours around to see what might go where.  The next row will be in black.

Pics of colours

Count me in!  I may not be able to send pix, but I can do the crocheting part!  I haven't chosen my colors yet, but they'll definitely be bright!  I'm anxious to see what everyone does with this!

Welcome aboard.  I am looking forward to your bright colours.  This ghan really speaks to them

I haven't picked out colors yet either.  I love Mona's colors and Darski's are pretty too!   I need to go thru my stash and see what I can come up with.  I've been dealing with power outages from very, very bad storms that went thru on Monday night.  Hoping to get my power back on at home this afternoon.  Also trying to finish up a baby afghan that I'm working on and then I can start this one.  Maybe tonight I can start going thru my stash (((sigh))) not a job to be taken lightly!  :help 

Darski how's your back doing?

I haven't picked out colors yet either.  I love Mona's colors and Darski's are pretty too!   I need to go thru my stash and see what I can come up with.  I've been dealing with power outages from very, very bad storms that went thru on Monday night.  Hoping to get my power back on at home this afternoon.  Also trying to finish up a baby afghan that I'm working on and then I can start this one.  Maybe tonight I can start going thru my stash (((sigh))) not a job to be taken lightly!  :help 

Darski how's your back doing?

My back is not currently on speaking terms with me :rofl

I have just recently been organizing all of my yarn in my yarn room so I do have a pretty good/general knowledge of what is in there.  Not that it seems to be helping me to decide.  I'm still struggling with that yellow/gold colour.  I think it needs that different hue to make it pop but I will have to see where to put it in :think

I haven't had a chance to collect my yarn yet...hopefully tomorrow. I'm thinking bright, kid colors, like the one on the blog...I'll see what I have enough of...

Archived