Random Crochet Questions

Zhaylin Black

Question

lol  I'm always wondering this and that, so instead of creating a new thread for all my ponderings, I thought I'd just create one.

Everyone else should feel free to ask away as well :)

I suck at crochet circles.  And I'm pressed for time to finish my projects.  When I played around with creating my pony tail net, I discovered it's easier for me to decrease than increase (though not in a proper fashion- skipping a chain here and there is an easy thing to do lol).

I'm now making a gift bag.  I started with a chain of 60.  I slip stitched it, chained three then triple (?) 60 into the center.  I spread the triples evenly then single crocheted into the center of each triple stitch.  Now I'm working doubles, decreasing one with each row until I get to a length I like, then I'll go back to singles and close off the bottom.

My question is:  Is this an actual method?  Is it called something so I can look up patterns in the future?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehe, thanks :)  Not being able to read patterns really sucks sometimes lol  The skirt is going very slowly but okay.  I hate my joining because I've not yet learned how to properly sew ends together so the initial joining is a jumbled mess.  And I thought I lined up my slip stitches for my rounds properly, but it's not centered to the original joining.  But that should be easy enough to cover up if the rest of the project goes well.

I'm only working with 130 chains at this point, so I need to add 10 more before I get to the area I'm going to ripple.  If I decide to go that route lol

Right now, I started with my treble crocheted foundation of 80 or 85.  I shoddily joined the ends then worked 2 sc into each treble (not the center but the stitch this time).  Now I'm just going around with 1 sc in each stitch, joining with a slip stitch, chaining 2 and continuing going around and around and around lol.  It's very tight stitching.  I'm using the same yarn I used to make my purse pack ("Fall"- variating red, orange, greens).

It's funny but I'm constantly working out stitches in my head when I'm just walking or driving about  :lol

For socks, I just can't visualize how I'm supposed to increase at the bottom of the heel without doing anything at the top.  The video confuses me because I can't tell the "top" from the "bottom".

I'm hopeless  :P

But I'm determined and properly addicted now  :haha

For myself, I find increases are tidier looking than decreases.  Decreases can leave holes, (esp. if you're skipping stitches which may or may not be desireable depending on the pattern.

Knitting seems to be made from the outside in more often than the other way around.  In knitting, increases tend to leave the holes.  It also can be fiddlier when starting with just a couple of stitches in the center (but it's fiddly at the end to, so ? :shrug

I'm not sure if your technique has a name, I can't say I've run across this specific combination of decreases/smaller stitches before. A variety of freeform?

Freeform, perhaps.  I had to use my foot when starting, so I can understand "fiddlier" lol

It was going very well, but I can't seem to connect my rows without leaving holes either  :bang   I also didn't care for the holes left from the decreases.

Now I'm playing with a variation of a coaster.  I made a big coaster and now I'm rounding up the sides.  I've connected the edges better with this one.  Don't know why but it looks really good so far :)

If I'm crocheting in a circle and I want to alternate between front loop/back loop only, what should I do with the row above it?  Do I keep it the same- front above front, back above back or should I alternate?

I loved the bag I made for hubby so much, that I'm making one for myself to be used as a purse or backpack purse.

Sorry for the triple post.

I was wondering what y'all do about blisters?  I've been crocheting for, easily, 12 hours a day for the last couple of weeks.  I thought my hand would be callused by now but it's not.  

I've looked at the knife and pencil methods and I think I use closest to the pencil grip.  With the hook facing me, my thumb tends to stay over the yarn for the most part.  The outside of my index finger (between my finger tip and top knuckle), stays on the hook near-abouts where the size letter is located.  My finger and thumb (control-) slide from those spots as I enter and exit loops.

Am I doing something "wrong", or am I just going at it too vigorously lol.  My hands also tend to sweat as I work, so I use baby powder on them.

Any tips?

Oh yeah.  Very strangely enough, I'm also getting a blister on my pinky along the outer edge just under the top knuckle.  What the heck?

Here's my grip and my main blister :P lol

post-68080-0-70683400-1377243099_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-32099700-1377243108_thumb.jpg

Ow.  I've never gotten blisters, but I do have callouses/thicker skin areas.  Also I have a pencil grip, not a knife grip like yours, so I'm not sure what to say there--maybe someone else can weigh in.   I have 'hand health issues' so I often have to take a day, sometimes more, off from crocheting;  I use a mouse a lot for my job and that doesn't help.

If you are working in a circle and alternating back loop and front loop - there might be a tricky part to keeping up a pattern because you are increasing each row. If you alternated it would make a nice pebbled effect.  If you kept the same stitch over the same, it would make a radiating pattern from the center.  Either would look pretty nifty, it's just a matter of what you like best.  In my head, I'd think the radiating pattern would be easiest to keep consistent looking

It looks like you hold your hook knife style, which means like you would hold a knife to cut meat on your plate.  Pencil style is when you hold it like you would hold a pencil.  The blister must be forming where you rub your pinkie against the hook.   :think

Thanks y'all :)

I was working the project to make a purse, so after I finished the bottom, I no longer increased.  I tried keeping the stitches the same but the end result just looked "messy", so I went with ridges instead.  I'm definitely going to play around with the other stitches some more though.

After I took the pics, and actually saw my grip, the blister on my pinkie made a bit more sense lol.  And thank you for the clarification about the grips :)

The blisters on my finger are strange.  They only raise, like a blister, as I'm crocheting and my finger is often moist so I guess I continually pop it as I'm crocheting.  As soon as I stop crocheting, the skin is flat, smooth and shiny lol  I keep hoping the skin will thicken  :tryme

It's funny but I can't STOP crocheting.  I feel too antsy if I just sit around now  :rofl  My main project is a throw.  It's a very tight stitch, two yarns as one, dc, rippled.

But I'm going to have to take a break soon unless hubby buys me some more yarn.  I've nearly exhausted my supply  :eek

Maybe CrochetGeek's tip on using gel pencil grips would help your finger. I've used it for some time and it also helps for fatigue and arthritis pain while crocheting.

If you decide to try it, be sure to apply the tape and gel-grip far enough back so you can see your hook size on the hook.

I'm trying to make a pair of socks now.

I found this video

When she finishes her round of rows at around the 10 minute marker, did she turn her work?  That's the only way I could work in the way she's now going so I'm confused.

**EDIT**

Including my stitch markers there are 11 stitches each length-wise and 5 each width-wise for a total of 28 stitches, lol, which means my counting is off somewhere ???... Or would that be 32 minus 4 stitch markers?

Anyhow... I'm terribly confused...

I wonder if there is a pattern out there for socks that had both video and written versions, so you could refer to the other format to answer questions ?  By the way, it's a very good idea to watch/read the entire pattern before starting.  This goes for anything, but especially for a wearable, which may have some assembly construction you haven't encountered before.  And, socks can be especially confusing and intimidating the first time.

For your video, there is no (conventional front to back) turning until about 14 min, where she starts to make the heel flap. 

At about 3.5 minutes, she comes to the end of the row of foundation scs, and begins to work into the underside of the fscs.  The same side of the work continues to face her.  When she gets to the end, she still does not turn, keeps the same side facing her, and starts to work into the top side of the foundation scs. The increases at the end of the foundation sc 'line' help to turn the corners.

This is sort of how you make circles by starting at the center and increasing; except that instead of starting with a center point, it's starting with a center line of those 8 foundation scs.  And you're not making enough increases for a flat circle, you end up with a pouch that is the toe of the sock.

At about 7 min. she has made a full circle (oval) around both sides of the fsc row, and she starts to increase and continues to go around again - no turning.  At about 8.5 min she gets to the other end, increases again.  That's the end of the increases; at about 9.5 min she says to continue to sc 'around and around'.  I lost track of the minutes, but somewhere between 10-12 she does some increases for part of the round, but still no turning.

I stopped watching after the heel flap. 

Here are a couple of patterns worked flat, if you think you'd be more comfortable trying this method -

http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/basic_crocheted_socks.php

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/crochet/ribsox.shtml

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwe-joansSocks.html?noImages=

Many thanks for the great reply.

I looked at the links but I'm putting socks on hold for a while.  The heel intimidates me too much lol

Now I'm trying to crochet a skirt  :lol

Just something basic- no sewing required.  I've been experimenting for the last 6 hours or so  :bang  but I'm just not happy.  So I'm starting over.  I figured out the stitches, for the most part, but I wanted a tighter stitch.  Gah!

I learned how to treble foundations.  I figured, I'd start with a draw string waist and work my way down.  With 140 chains, I can even make a ripple pattern.

Connecting my treble ends, for the waist, is annoying me though.  From there, I worked 2 sc into the center of each treble for two rows then started the ripple.

I think I'll use sc until I get past my hips next time around.

Good luck with the skirt.  For something that has to fit I'm more of a start with a pattern and maybe improvise a little, not a start from scratch person.  You're brave!n ;)

Yes, sock heels are intimidating.  When I wanted to (knit) some socks for the first time, I was afraid of the heel, so I made a 'swatch' of just the heel.  I just followed the instructions, and after it was all over I thought 'that wasn't so bad'.  I think it helped a lot to practice without pressure of ruining real project/good yarn.  The rest of the sock is just an open tube at one end, and a closed tube at the other.

do you mean the horizontal/diagonal strand of yarn running across the post of a double crochet?  

that part of the stitch is used in linked stitches http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-linked-double-crochet-ldc/

http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com/2013/09/crochet-linked-double-crochet.html

Oh yeah.  Here's the "basket" I made lol.  Wanted a fanny pack but it ended up a bit too large.

And here's the skirt I'm working on.

I like my one mistake, but I'm not sure what caused it.  When slip stitching in the past, my work always ended up straight.  This time, though, it's slanting to the right.  Is it likely because I've been chaining 2 after slip stitching?

post-68080-0-87333400-1377592595_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-07531100-1377592605_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-30661200-1377592617_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-72527100-1377592625_thumb.jpg

Ugh.  I can't believe I forgot how tedious sc is  :lol

Here's my progress so far.

I love the accidental "design" with the first 19 rows or so.  After that, the stitches look ridged but they're not lol

I've got a big ole butt (it barely reaches the bottom of my bum) so I've made very little actual progress  :haha  And I've already gone through about 1 and a quarter skeins.

If I was to ever attempt this again, I'd definitely do the waist differently, and I'd start a little wider so it's not so skin tight across my back side.  

I've increased to 140 chains for the ripple pattern if I choose that route, but I'm thinking about increasing it further because it's to be a long skirt.

If I use the ripple pattern, I'm thinking about making it a ridged ripple and perhaps adding a ruffle onto the front stitch.

Maybe I should just stick to making blankets  :rofl

To take a break, I made a cozy for my lighter lol  I discovered it was the perfect width for my finger.  If I can't figure out socks, there's no hope for gloves.

But hey, I could keep my fingers warm  :2spin

post-68080-0-53076800-1377697831_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-88550200-1377697839_thumb.jpg

You would be surprized how warm fingerless gloves are.  And they are very easy; the simplest is just a rectangle, folded and sewn but leaving a gap for the thumb.  Next easiest, making it in the round a leaving a hole for the thumb.  I haven't attempted gloves or mittens and I've been crocheting for a long time (then again, I don't wear them).  If I were to make gloves, not mittens, I'd use thin yarn (sock yarn), they'd be awefully bulky otherwise I think.

If you think about it, depending how long your skirt is, it's probably a similar amount of yarn as a blanket.  I've never tried a skirt either, but that's because long ago I had a purchased, fine knit skirt that got unattrractively baggy in the seat.  NOt a good thing.

Thanks for the encouragement :)  I've looked at a lot of patterns and pics of fingerless gloves.  They definitely look basic enough for me to attempt.

And I was thinking like you, earlier, when considering the amount of yarn for the skirt compared to a blanket.  It does seem like it will take a similar amount!

Just jumping in and trying this has taught me a few things.  It's definitely been a learning experience!  I'll probably recycle the yarn when I'm done lol and try again in a more proper fashion  :lol  I liked that seam slant initially, but now it just looks sloppy.

I actually went to the library today and picked up 3 books on crochet.  I thumbed through them after I got home and, wow- very intimidating stuff lol  But very useful.

There were only about 5 books available for crochet (unless others were checked out- I've not been to the library in eons and didn't want to attempt using their computerized cataloging system!)

I have lots of homework now  :P

Ugh.  I am hopelessly confused.

I decided to give socks another try, using this http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/basic_crocheted_socks.php

But after the ribs, I'm lost.  Actually, I may have gotten lost before then lol

Here's what I've done so far.

By my count, I have 43 rows.  AFTER the first 3 "rows", I was supposed to crochet 40 more.  Or am I confused about what's meant by "row"?

"Ribbing
With smaller hook, chain 11. 
Row 1: Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook, single crochet in each chain across, turn – 10 single crochet. [are these numbers just a reiteration of how many stitches there should be on the row?]
Row 2: Chain 1, working in back loops only, single crochet in each single crochet across, turn – 10 single crochet.
Repeat Row 2 for 40 more rows. Do not turn. Working along side of ribbing, work 1 single crochet in each row, turn – 40 single crochet.

Leg

With larger hook, work back and forth in single crochet, working through both loops, on 40 stitches until piece measures 7" (18 cm) from beginning of sock. Cut yarn."

post-68080-0-85915700-1377847652_thumb.jpg

10 single crochet. [are these numbers just a reiteration of how many stitches there should be on the row?]

That's right, that's exactly what it is.

Someone else posted this link on another thread recently and it's excellent, I think it could be useful for you:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

I only learned to follow patterns after crocheting for about 25 years, so I really know how you feel.

Archived