Random Crochet Questions

Zhaylin Black

Question

lol  I'm always wondering this and that, so instead of creating a new thread for all my ponderings, I thought I'd just create one.

Everyone else should feel free to ask away as well :)

I suck at crochet circles.  And I'm pressed for time to finish my projects.  When I played around with creating my pony tail net, I discovered it's easier for me to decrease than increase (though not in a proper fashion- skipping a chain here and there is an easy thing to do lol).

I'm now making a gift bag.  I started with a chain of 60.  I slip stitched it, chained three then triple (?) 60 into the center.  I spread the triples evenly then single crocheted into the center of each triple stitch.  Now I'm working doubles, decreasing one with each row until I get to a length I like, then I'll go back to singles and close off the bottom.

My question is:  Is this an actual method?  Is it called something so I can look up patterns in the future?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bah!  Cursed DSi lol  One of these days I'm going to have to get a real camera.  Thanks for trying :)

I just looked up "back post stitch" and found http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-work-backpost-doublecrochet-stitches.html

If you look- from left to right where the white joins the gray... if you look at that white chain, you can see the front and back loops and beneath them is a smaller chain (beneath the front and back loops, the connecting row resembles a backward "B" to me.  The top of that "B" is what I'm crocheting into.

your third photo looks like back post stitch, but according to your description, i guess that's not what it is.  it sounds like you are stitching into some part of the back side of the stitch and i don't think there is a specific name for that.  your first two pictures are too blurry for me to see details. 

So I'm doing a variation of the back post stitch?

No, for a post stitch you put the hook around the whole post. If i understand your description, you are putting the hook under only one strand at the back of the stitch, so it is not a post stitch.

You can see illustration of post stitch at nexstitch.com

Then you should be able to tell for sure if that is what you are doing.

By experimenting, I figured out 60 boxes = around 2 1/2 feet. (60 boxes x's 2= a chain of 120 + 4 for turning chain = 124 chains in all)

It's a little shorter than I would have liked but I didn't want to go overboard with this being the first project.  I didn't even make a swatch first.  I jumped right in after watching the videos lol

It's easy enough once you get going.  I kept trying to crochet 4 loops at first and it took forever for my brain to understand what working THROUGH and BEHIND a stitch actually meant  :lol

So I'm going to make this throw for my oldest daughter and then I'm going to try a zig zag pattern for myself.

Does anyone here have any experience with this technique? 

**EDIT**

Ah yes.  The tutorials are http://www.interlockingcrochet.com/video-tutorials/interlocking-crochet-video-tutorials.html?start=15 if anyone's interested.

I've used the most basic stitch pattern to start a potholder/hotpad, but I never finished the project and I'm not sure where it went.

BTW, your link gets munged by the forum software shortening it; it's fine in  the post editor. I suggest anchoring the link to text by highlighting the text you want to attach the link to and then clicking the Insert Link button  like so or using Tinyurl.com to shorten the link before entering it.

Hello again, everyone :)

I'm trying to tackle another project but I'm stuck before even beginning lol

I'm wanting to make an interlocking (or intermeshing) crochet throw.

How do I determine how many boxes the blanket will need?

It would be around 3 feet wide and 5 feet long.

Does anyone here have any experience with this technique? 

**EDIT**

Ah yes.  The tutorials are http://www.interlockingcrochet.com/video-tutorials/interlocking-crochet-video-tutorials.html?start=15 if anyone's interested.

Here's some more of that unknown stitch.  I love the way it looks on the inside (which I turn to the outside after working).

For those of you who can see a stitch and recognize it, let me know what it is?   :)

I was just playing around at first.  I cr 2 then made a circle, cr who knows what into the center then 2dc each st 3 times each then I just worked every st 1 dc each using the back bottom stitch.  Then I triple st for the drawstring.  Now I have another small pouch lol  Seems to be my favorite things to make now-a-days.  I have no idea what I'm going to use it for yet, but I like it.

I'm not crazy about the gap in the joining, so that's something I'll play around with.  I just go into the center of the work/stitch when joining, cr 2 chain then I went into that same st back bottom loop as my first st.

Oh yeah, it's mis-shapened because I fitted it over a small bottle of rubbing alcohol to show off the stitches more clearly.

post-68080-0-15103100-1382207510_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-31870000-1382207517_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-67357700-1382207526_thumb.jpg

So it won't fall apart even though there is no knot? The directions I used on how to do it said to use a separate piece of yarn, don't knot it, and sew it in.

You do not need to tie a knot.

You would use separate yarn to sew together squares or pieces. You will have ends to weave in on that yarn, and also on the squares/pieces before you sew them together.

Crochetcabana is a site that has good info, you might want to bookmark it for future reference.

To secure the yarn ends, you want to use a tapestry needle. Thread your yarn end into the needle and sew it into several stitches. You can go vertically into the middle of the stitch in one direction, then into another stitch, then back into the first in the opposite direction. Start with about 4-6 inch yarn tail, weave it in, then you can snip off the end of the yarn.

It worked out well, but actually securing the ends is still giving me a little trouble. I'm sure I just need some more practice. I've just recently decided to tackle blankets and Intermediate patterns. So far, so good. I'm excited to have stumbled upon this website. :D Not many people my age around here who enjoy crocheting like I do. I'm happy to be in good company here and look forward to learning more!

Welcome to the 'Ville!

I'll have to look those videos up as well.  I don't do a lot of joining right now, but it would be nice to know for future reference.

Hope you have great success with those instruction :)

Hello! I'm new here. My name is Megan and I've been crocheting for 16 years. I'm just now starting to challenge myself and have run into the same problem repeatedly. When I make two seperate squares (not granny squares, just normal pieces) I can't figure out a way to attach them that doesn't make the whole thing look atrocious. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance :D

You can join them with the "Invisible Seam".  Just Google it and you'll find lots of instructions how to do it.  It's the only join I ever use now, and I make granny squares, or just normal squares all the time!  I even love doing the invisible seam, and I used to HATE joining squares of any kind together!!

Hello! I'm new here. My name is Megan and I've been crocheting for 16 years. I'm just now starting to challenge myself and have run into the same problem repeatedly. When I make two seperate squares (not granny squares, just normal pieces) I can't figure out a way to attach them that doesn't make the whole thing look atrocious. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance :D

My problem is my memory.  I'll learn something one second and the next it's completely forgotten and I have to start over from scratch.  It's very frustrating.  And things like direction- right, left especially and (in the case of crocheting) front of work, back of work makes me dizzy to think about lol.  I still have to put my hand over my chest (the pledge of allegiance) to remember my left from my right even though I'm right handed so you'd think I'd have no problems with that  :reyes

I watch patterns on YouTube and such and I can mimic some basics but I don't truly understand what's going on.  I can't look at something I've crocheted and say, for instance, if the stitch is sc or dc (unless I've just done it  :lol )  But to look at the stitches, I can't tell.   :bang

So, I usually just throw myself into something I know and I make up the rest as I go along.

Do you know what? I think you should put aside some time and effort to learn how to follow a pattern - no excuses these days with all the video help. unless, like me you are too impatient to "learn to learn"

The reason I am saying this, is not to be rude, it's because I think you have a lot of talent. If you learn properly, I do believe it wouldn't be long before you would be using that imagination of yours to write your own patterns.

Archived