Blog with doilies and more

arvensis

Hi, I have my own blog with crotchet and knitted things.

I would like to show you my doily.

http://world-of-crochet.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-oblong-straw-colored-table-napkin.html

I am Pole and I wonder what is the difference between doily, napkin and mat?

Will you help me? I would like to translate my blog correctly, but sometimes it is difficult...

In the US, a doily and a mat are very similar.  They are used mainly as decoration, and can be used to protect the table surface.  A doily is usually very open and lacy and most often round in shape, or oval.  A mat might be more solid, less lacy and open, and more likely to be square or rectangular.

A napkin is almost always a piece of cloth in a square shape; it might have a crocheted edging.  Napkins are used at meals to wipe your hands and mouth while eating.  (A lot of people use paper napkins that can be thrown away after use, instead of cloth napkins.)  

I think the word napkin is used diffferently in other countries.  

I agree with Kathy.  Below are google picture searches for the words -

Doily - made from fine thread, lacy, like the your very pretty 'oblong napkin' on your blog.

Mat - would tend to be heavier materials.  Knitting or crochet is not the first technique I'd associate with the word 'mat', more likely quilted fabric, thick plastic or even small rugs for the floor are called mats.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mat+pictures&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7ADSA_enUS457&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ATYJUrbQOKTmiwLEroH4Aw&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1201&bih=515

Napkin - solid fabric or disposable paper.  Fabric ones might have a lace edging, but not the whole napkin.

http://www.google.com/search?q=napkin+picture&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7ADSA_enUS457&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sjYJUtWMEKf5iwKP1oHwCg&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1201&bih=515

Thank you very much! I will change all mats and napkins to doilies :)

Now I understand better the difference.

Can I have two questions more?

I don't exactly know if I should write: the embroidered cushion, an embroidered cushion or maybe just embroidered cushion in this case http://world-of-crochet.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-embroidered-cushion.html and in the others.

I have many lessons about the, a and an and I know a rule which says that if I write about something for the first time I should use a or an, but is it the same with topics?

And one more question... how do you call squishy, soft and small toys like teddy bear but not bears? I found only a name "soft toy'" is it correct?

Thank you for your help. I hope I am not annoying you.

No worries!  I would say 'embroidered cushion'.  'The embroidered cushion' isn't wrong, it's just a little formal sounding.  Your mother does wonderful work, it's very beautiful! :manyheart

"Stuffed toy' is probably more commonly used than "soft toy" I think, and maybe a little more precise.   Many call them amigurumi, which is hard to spell (I just had to look it up) and is just the Japanese word for crocheted or knitted stuffed toy.

Grany Square, thank you very much :D

Firstly I was writing without 'the' but I wasn't sure if it was ok. Now I know because of you, so I think I will change it back. I don't really like formal style :)

Thank you ones more.

I'm happy that you like my mother's and mine work :)

By the way, I like to avail the opportunity and send you to my second blog, maybe you will like my painted clothes... This is a dress which I really like http://paintingt-shirts.blogspot.com/2013/08/forgot-me-not-dress.html

More beautiful work, you are talented in many crafts I see.  The blue doily center reminds me a little bit of Bruges lace.  There are a few other ladies in Crochetville from Poland, I think there are more magazines over there with doily patterns than there are in the US. 

I'm in the Pacific Time zone, I think I'm 9 hours behind you.  Have a nice weekend!

I found in Google what is this ,,Bruges lace'' and it looks amazing! I need to learn it.

I have about 5 different magazines in my home, but there are not all polish magazines about crocheting. How many magazines do you have?

I have already Saturday morning and you I have Friday late afternoon, it is strange ;)

Have nice weekend too! 

• 4 weeks later...

I have many lessons about the, a and an and I know a rule which says that if I write about something for the first time I should use a or an, but is it the same with topics?

When you are referring to one certain, or specific, thing, you say "the"--such as:  Give me the book you are holding;

"a" and "an" are used before a noun (a person, place, or thing);--"an" is used before a noun that starts with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u), simply because it sounds better;  "a" is used before everything else.  

If you have trouble understanding our English, contact Apak, on the 'Ville.  She lives in Poland and could help you a lot more than I.

Glad to have you here!  You do beautiful work!!

Thank you for this note, but I have heard it many times at school. In theory it looks really easy but it isn't in real life, but I try not to make mistakes and I hope I will be better in English with time.

When I will have a big trouble I will contact with Apak, thank you for information.

I am glad you like my work :)

It's nice to hear it pineknott :)
Now I work on Christmas  decorations, so there won't be many new things on my blog for some time.

Maybe today or tomorrow I'll add one more post and I'll make a break.

Thank you for this note, but I have heard it many times at school. In theory it looks really easy but it isn't in real life, but I try not to make mistakes and I hope I will be better in English with time.

When I will have a big trouble I will contact with Apak, thank you for information.

I am glad you like my work :)

You're doing very well with your English!  I can only speak English, and a very small amount of French (from high school--50 years ago!!).  I admire anyone who can speak two or more languages!

Is French hard to learn? 

I have never speak in this language, but I heard it some times. 

Did you have only one foreign language?

I had English and German.

German is cool, but it is easier to speak and think in English.

I'm trying to do my best and get better every day in it :)

It is never to late to learn something, speaking in foreign language is fascinating, maybe you should remain your French or try to another language but believe me give a wide berth form Polish ;)

Is French hard to learn? 

I have never speak in this language, but I heard it some times. 

Did you have only one foreign language?

I had English and German.

German is cool, but it is easier to speak and think in English.

I'm trying to do my best and get better every day in it :)

It is never to late to learn something, speaking in foreign language is fascinating, maybe you should remain your French or try to another language but believe me give a wide berth form Polish ;)

Back in the 1960's, we only had French available. It wasn't too difficult to learn.  They now teach Spanish and French at our local high school.  But I have no need to learn a new language--I'm 69 and plan to stay right here in the USA!   Going to France or Germany for you is like crossing a State-line for me, so learning their languages would be a good thing for you.  I keep MORE than busy enough with teaching crochet at our local senior Center, making afghans, hats, and prayer shawls for charity,  and trying to sell Avon!!

• 1 month later...

Archived