Looking for EASY cardigan pattern

beccalovely

Question

Hi all, 

Ok so I am very new to crochet, I've completed a granny square blanket and have been keeping a sort of 'sampler' where I practice rows of new stitches as I teach myself them from online videos/instructions. 

Tonight I have just mastered the basket weave stitch, which I love, and am going to make a blanket out of. 

Having seen some of my projects a friend has asked me for a new crochet cardigan (her current shop-bought one has seen better days). 

Can anyone recommend a good very easy pattern? It needs to be long sleeved and have a long body, ie the body longer than the sleeves as my friend likes to cover up a bit :) 

My other questions:

- Will I need a long crochet hook for something like a cardigan? 

- Should I try a different, perhaps easier, clothing garment before tackling a cardigan?

- How do I know how much yarn I will need?

I'm very nervous about tackling clothing I must admit, so any general hints and tips would also be very welcome! 

Thanks for reading, 

Beccalovely

22 answers to this question

Well this afternoon I've browsed through Ravelry and found a toddler size cardigan that I am going to try first for the same friend's daughter (might keep her happy whilst I'm learning haha!)

Whilst the pattern shows a multicolour finished product, I'm going to stick to plain white all the way through just to keep it extra simple, and it also means the little one can wear it with anything. I've been to the post office and got the yarn, a nice baby 4 ply (I say that like I know it means something, but in reality I'm just telling you what is on the label haha!) 

It is thinner than the DK yarns I've used so far, so it will be interesting to see how it feels in my hand with a new sized hook. 

Before I start it though I'm doing a smaller project, but bigger than the mini flowers I've done, so that I'm getting in a bit more practice at pattern reading. It is a crochet hook roll and has a star shaped stitch to it which was new to me and very beautiful. For my inexperienced hands it's a little more fiddly, but it shouldn't take too long, and will be much nicer than the polythene bag I've got my hooks in at the moment! 

I will keep you posted ;)

Right, I've done a couple of blankets, some slippers and other bits and pieces, I think today might be the day I take the plunge into clothing.... I've found a couple of patterns on Ravelry for dresses that look relatively simple... wish me luck!! 

Thank you for all the hints and advice Wheat. I'm making slippers at the moment, and I'm learning a lot by just jumping in and making things that are small and finished quickly. It is building my confidence without a doubt, and I can't thank all of you on Crochetville enough, your help, advice and encouragement has been wonderful. 

Becca x

Looks like you are making good progress. 

1. You are correct, it is quite common for those new to the craft (and some of us not so new) to inadvertently skip making a stitch in the top of the turning chain. 

What I do/teach is that to CH 1 at the end of the row BEFORE you turn 

Now hold that loop so the yarn is at 90 degrees (right angle) you should then be able to see if your edge is straight or a stitch is missing.   Far easier to pull out one chain than to get to the end of the next row and "see" you are one stitch short.

2. There is nothing wrong with bobby pins, in fact I have been know to use them for the exact same reason, they were handy, stitch markers were not. 

3. I lose pieces of paper - instead, every 10 rows (count  base chain/row as 1) I put a stitch marker - that way when I come back it is easy to count the rows and know where to begin.  You can use any number, but you may want to decide that is the number you will use all the time.  Just another of those delightful details that are a part of my "consistency is the easy way to quality" philosphy.

It is helpful if it is an even  number because then all the pins/markers will be on the same side of your work. 

This actually does two things.  First, easier to keep track (count) when you come back to your work.  Second, it will be very clear which side is the "right" side of your work because the tail at the start of your chain and your row count markers

I think you will find both the books you ordered helpful not just now while you are learning but later when you need a refresher. 

Thanks Granny Square! I have been using bobby pins to hold my work when I have to put it down to eat or sleep haha! I first used one just because it was in my hair and I didn't want my work to unravel... I had safety pins but the bobby pin was to hand and easy, so I kept using them. 

I hadn't thought of using them to mark the turning chains in my work, what a good idea, and one that is sure to help me overcome this problem! 

Thanks ever so much for the tip! 

Becca xx

Very nice hook case! :yes

I've been crocheting for, um, decades and I still use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of a row--not so much working flat, but always in the round.  It's a good habit to get into as a beginner when working flat or round, because finding that first stitch, or chains that count as a first stitch, is sometimes not obvious.  A common mistake is to miss that first stitch, and then the piece gets narrower and narrower....

I use bobby pins for markers, they are cheap, don't snag, and stay put.  I tried ones made for that purpose and didn't like them as well, plus they cost 10-20x more than the bobby pins.

I have completed my little hook tidy! 

A little bit concerned as the look of the finished piece makes me think I may have dropped/added stitches somewhere... but perhaps it just needs blocking. 

post-67796-0-15072600-1373124017_thumb.jpg  post-67796-0-93770500-1373123967.jpg

post-67796-0-70362200-1373124051_thumb.jpg

A close up of the beautiful star stitch which is actually quite easy after a couple of rows! 

I'm thinking that a contrasting colour, maybe a lighter pink or cream, for the tie and perhaps to edge the main piece would look really nice. 

This project helped me to learn that keeping a little piece of paper where I can tick off the rows of stitches as I go is really helpful.

I think it has also highlighted what I need to improve upon, especially for making a garment - I am not confident at counting stitches on larger projects, so I need to practice this. Also, it is usually at the end of a row that I err towards a mistake... I get a little confused with what was my turning chain on the row before and I think this is where I mistakenly add in or drop a stitch. 

Is this a common newbie error? And do you have any tips, other than just practice makes perfect of course. 

I have ordered the following books: 

"The Essential Handbook of Crochet Stitches" by Betty Barnden

and

"The Crochet Answer Book" by Edie Eckman

These are due to arrive on Tuesday, as is my ball winder. As I feel I need to work out a few things before embarking on the child's cardigan I am going to wait for the arrival of these items and find another small practice project to work on in the mean time I think. It will also give me a chance to watch the video tutorials that Mattenylou recommended. 

Thanks again for everyone's help, 

Beccalovely xx

Pattern for hook tidy from: http://allicrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/free-pattern-star-hook-case.html

Thank you for the book recommendations - as a bookaholic I am more than happy to look into adding to my collection with some crochet reference guides!! 

Trundles off to amazon with a big grin on her face... 

:D

Inc/Dec - you have the basic concept.  Just be sure to read your pattern instructions as there may be a variation chosen by the Pattern author.

Although there are tons of videos floating about, you may also find it helpful to have a reference book handy, 

I am a fan of "learning swatches"  - rather than making a scaled down version when learning a technique, motif or stitch. 

You may want to consider a good basic crochet reference - something along the lines of Interweaves Crochet companion or Edie Eckman's Crochet Answer Book or Nancy Nehrings  Essentais  or Leisures recently released "everything the internet did not teach you" (or something close to that) by Jean Leinhauser.  All of these have a good deal of details and will be useful over and over as you progress in skill and projects.  one of these along with some well written "motif" = "stitch guides" and you can keep busy for decades. 

I think doing a baby sweater is a great idea!  Baby things are really gratifying because they have all the steps of an adult garment but are finished in a fraction of the time.  (Doll clothes too, i have been enjoying making things for my granddaughters' 18" dolls. )

Talking about baby clothes reminds me, you might want to look at the book Crocheting in Plain English by M Righetti; it has a really good section on following patterns and has a baby sweater pattern that clearly explains all of the construction steps.   

Kuddos, Becca, for jumping in with this sweater project. With the internet at your fingertips, you can usually find whatever help you need, compared to when a lot of us started with our hooks years ago.

I remember being a teenager, I actually learned over the phone! With my Mom as the go-between, repeating the steps as her friend slowly explained them, I poked and wrapped my way down those first few rows... and it worked!! How I wish I could have watched a youtube video to see what that lady was trying to explain to Mom and I that day!!

Have you watched any of the step-by-step sweater making videos on Youtube? I still learn something new every time I watch one, You might want to look at a few.. Each person has their own little tips and tricks, some you can use, some you won't.

I still try to learn something new every day, and I've been crocheting for over 50 years. There's a wealth of info here in the 'Ville and on the web, Great things are waiting just around the corner for you, especially when you are eager to learn like you seem to be... You are off to a wonderful start, keep it up!

It sounds like you have increasing and decreasing down pat, well done.

a smaller garment maybe easier, then you'll  learn the construction of how it  all goes together.

Me I like to work blind and get excited as I see it all make sense. but that's just me. I'm always itching to start the next project, so I rarely do sample pieces. But I've been crocheting for over 30 years. and am happy to unravel it if I make a mistake.

keep us up to date with what you choose to do, I'm intrigued, well just nosey.lol

Wow guys, thank so much for all the advice! 

I think I'm getting to grip with patterns, I started off small following patterns for things such as little crochet flowers, just so that I could get used to reading them. 

Would I perhaps be better to crochet a child's garment first? I'm just thinking that maybe a smaller version of a garment might be a better starting place as it will require less yarn and give me a chance to learn the idea of garment making - any thoughts? 

Wheat - increasing and decreasing - I think I have had to do this when I've made minor mistakes in my practice work... but I'm not sure - is this it:

Increase: Do two stitches in the one space, meaning I'll have the extra space on the next row

Decrease: Take up two when doing the stitch, kind of adding two together, so that I'll have less on the next row

If this isn't it I'll go online video hunting! 

I've noticed on some patterns they have a 'special' stitch that is perhaps unique to that pattern, or at least not as common, and that they tend to talk you through how to do this. I think if I see that in a pattern I will do a couple of rows of it on my 'sampler' piece so that I can get used to it before doing it within the actual project. 

Thank you for telling me about Ravelry, I shall have a good look through the site. 

And Billy thank you for explaining about DK - I had no idea what that meant and now I realise I have been using DK yarn all along so far, as that is all my local post office sells! 

Thank you again for all the advice, and the very friendly welcome

Beccalovely xx

I think it is wonderful that you are willing to dive in and take on a garment project,

You are also asking good questions. 

Still, it might be best if you let your friend know that it may take quite a while for you to get this done. 

Not having seen the current sweater, if it is a knit, it is going to be heavier, and so you may want to look for a pattern that uses a sock weight yarn.  It will take longer and seem to use more yarn but will be closer in physical weight and hand/drape

I have a lot of "knock around" cardi's that are the result of my own learning curve and trust me they are rarely seen outside my home any further than to mail box at the curb an back. - so you will want so time/room to work your way thru the project. 

You will need to know how to increase, decrease for the arm syce and depending on the pattern possibly some other basics, but with time and patience the adventurous beginner can certainly do a garment. 

What length hook you will need will depend on the style - if your pattern is for standard crochet then you will be using a standard (usually approximately 6 inches tip to butt)  if you are planning to do a basket weave in Tunisian/Afghan, the pattern should advise what length you will need.

I have made several of Marty Millers patterns and enjoyed each of them. They are well written and easy to follow.

Many of her patterns csan be done in various yarns and turn out beautifully. I have made them for myself as well

as for gifts for family members.

The go to sweather would be a good choice for a first sweater project.

Have fun with whatever pattern you select. Happy crocheting!

I'm glad to hear that you recommend the pattern! :-)

I have made several of Marty Millers patterns and enjoyed each of them. They are well written and easy to follow.

Many of her patterns csan be done in various yarns and turn out beautifully. I have made them for myself as well

as for gifts for family members.

The go to sweather would be a good choice for a first sweater project.

Have fun with whatever pattern you select. Happy crocheting!

here is one sweater you might think about, if you want a solid fabric: http://shop.crochetville.com/Go-to-Sweater-1.html

here it is onRavelry where you can see several people's projects: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/go-to-sweater-1

Marty Miller is a very good pattern writer so I feel pretty confident that it will be well-written, although I myself have not made this.  

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook

I would encourage you to get very comfortable reading and using patterns before you start in on a garment pattern.  Then look for a very well written  pattern that you know you understand.  Find the pattern first then pick out the yarn based on the yarn the pattern is written for.  The pattern will tell you how much yarn you need for the size you are making.  

Do you want to make something in a solid fabric, or a lacy look?  Are you going to try to stay in the same style as the old cardigan, or go with a different look?  Will your friend be able to try it on as you go, to ensure a good fit?

Thanks Billy, 

I'm looking at yarns online now, and most of the ones I think my friend would like are 'double' wool, like the James C Brett marble yarns... does that mean I need a pattern that allows for double yarn? 

There are probably loads of ladies with patterns here. but Ravelry has loads of patterns to. as well as ytube has some crochet along.  Mikey from ytube does a lovely granny square one. though not very elegant, very easy to do.

a normal crochet hook is all you need, as to the amount, it depends on the pattern you chose.

Archived