Totally Confused..

Jayashiangel

Question

I am starting  on Williston Pattern  and yes it comes w/ helpful tips however I am lost.... Here is the first row...where I am having issues...

(Row 1) Chain 4 , DC in 1st chain 6 times (7 DC)

I used the magic circle

(Row 2) Chain 3, turn, V-stitch in the next stitch, DC V-stitch, DC, V-Stitch, DC in top of the chain 3

(2 dc, chain 1,3 dc, chain 1, 3DC, chain 1, 2 DC)

This is where it goes wrong/crazy... CAN you help??? I can't seem to get it in the right places and have all the stitches? Thanks

9 answers to this question

Very pretty pattern. Simply substitute - dc, ch 1, dc into the stitch where vstitch is written for that is what the vstitch is.

In row three, you'll be doing the vstitch aka dc, ch1, dc into the chain spaces. This will be giving the shawl its shape.

Magic ring is usually used for crochet in the round, like the center of granny square, or a hat.

This is a "flat" piece so that may be what is throwing you off. 

May I suggest you try starting as directed in the pattern and see if that is helpful.

HTH

Wheat

If you're starting the pattern with the magic ring then you're not even starting the pattern correctly from the beginning.  Unless it states JOIN (which it doesn't) then you have to do what it says.  Do your six double crochets in the first chain and then continue on the pattern from there.

It's not going to work out at all if you don't follow the directions exactly.

Sure it will if she pulls the magic circle tight enough.  All she needs is a ch3 and 6dcs. 

I don't particularly care for the gaping hole left behind by putting all those stitches into one chain.  For this pattern I would loop the tail around the chain so that I could pull it tight after the 6dc.

I am starting  on Williston Pattern  and yes it comes w/ helpful tips however I am lost.... Here is the first row...where I am having issues...

(Row 1) Chain 4 , DC in 1st chain 6 times (7 DC)

I used the magic circle

(Row 2) Chain 3, turn, V-stitch in the next stitch, DC V-stitch, DC, V-Stitch, DC in top of the chain 3

(2 dc, chain 1,3 dc, chain 1, 3DC, chain 1, 2 DC)

This is where it goes wrong/crazy... CAN you help??? I can't seem to get it in the right places and have all the stitches? Thanks

Whichever way you do the first row, you need 7 stitches in it.  These are rows to turn and go back the other way, not rounds.

With the second row, you turn, the ch 3 counts as the first stitch. V stitch in the second dc of the first row; dc in the third dc of the first row; v stitch in the fourth dc; dc in the fifth dc; v stitch in the sixth dc. Last you dc in the top of the ch 3 which is the seventh stitch of the first row.

Whichever way you do the first row, you need 7 stitches in it.  These are rows to turn and go back the other way, not rounds.

With the second row, you turn, the ch 3 counts as the first stitch. V stitch in the second dc of the first row; dc in the third dc of the first row; v stitch in the fourth dc; dc in the fifth dc; v stitch in the sixth dc. Last you dc in the top of the ch 3 which is the seventh stitch of the first row.

Thanks to everyone that helped me.. extra thanks to greyhound-grandma this explanation was the most non-visual.. It really HELPED ME...and I got the shawl up and going ( I did change the hook size I think that was also the issue for me as well it was leaving too big of spaces and distorting the visualness of the pattern.. Thanks again for all your guess hard work...

Shout out to everyone for all their help figuring out this pattern it turned out great.. I thought I would share a pictures of the 2 I have already whipped up using this pattern.. Love this pattern and thanks again for all your help and support...

post-35509-0-37174100-1369409698_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-37979700-1369409717_thumb.jpg

Archived