New to this and having a problem.

rita821

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to crocheting, mainly teaching myself with the help of videos. I've only completed a baby blanket, bag and couple of scarfs. The problem I have is starting a new project. The first row or two are just so tight, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, once I get to the 3rd row my tension is much better, but those first couple of rows are very difficult to get my hook into. I've even tried starting off with a larger hook size and then switch over to the right size but my work in the beginning is still so tight and so tedious just to get through. I'm getting discouraged and thought maybe others have had this problem and can give me some hints on what to do. Thanks for reading.

rita821

14 answers to this question

Here is a trick I use to use.  Try slipping your yarn thru a ring on your finger.  One that has enough room for the yarn to slide thru.  This most of the time, helps with the tension.

Welcome to the ville :hook

I think the main answer to this is just to keep practicing.  when you only have a little bit of crocheting to hold on to, it can be difficult to hold it loosely.  Do whatever you can to physically loosen up your grip on the yarn, the hook, and the crochet piece.  Don't wrap the working yarn around all your fingers, don't grip the hook tightly.  Make sure that the loop you pull up gets all the way onto the shaft of the hook, beyond the narrower tapered part.  

a lot of crocheters use a bigger hook for the beginning chain, one or two sizes bigger than you will use for the rest of the piece.  

Another thing you might try is the foundation dc or foundation sc (or whichever stitch you're using).  Just google "foundation dc stitch".  It really comes out looking very nice, and there's no pulling or tightening of the chain.  It is a little tricky to get used to, but once you've mastered it, you'll never go back!  Happy crocheting!

Until you get more used to starting proojects, and not as nervous about it, (been there, done that) the big hook is your best bet. You can also try using doubled yarn on the first row. Sometimes that gives a heavier edge than you'd want, but it won't let you work as tightly. I LOVE foundation sc/hdc/dc or what have you. Even if you do get a little too tight on it, there's enough give that it'll stretch out.

Foundation first rows also work well if you're planning to add knitted ribbing. It's SO easy to slide a knitting needle through the loops and take off from there. (I don't like my crocheted ribbing, whether blo sc or fp/bpdc.)

Thank you for the great advice, I've heard of the foundation stitch but never tried it. I will look it up and try it next time I start something new. This site is wonderful for quick replies to questions, Thanks again!

I'm fairly new, and it is a common problem.

One thing that I've found that really helps is to get every stitch onto the shank of your hook.  Not just the narrow area right under the hook.  This will make your stitches a consistent size.

Also, make your starting chain really loose, and don't pull on your feed yarn when making it.  It'll feel ridiculously loose, but as you work into it, it will tighten and even out.  I tension my yarn even when making the starting chain as well.

Stitching into the back bump helps as well.

I'm fairly new, and it is a common problem.

One thing that I've found that really helps is to get every stitch onto the shank of your hook.  Not just the narrow area right under the hook.  This will make your stitches a consistent size.

Also, make your starting chain really loose, and don't pull on your feed yarn when making it.  It'll feel ridiculously loose, but as you work into it, it will tighten and even out.  I tension my yarn even when making the starting chain as well.

Stitching into the back bump helps as well.

I agree.    These three tips I learned by experience. 

a lot of crocheters use a bigger hook for the beginning chain, one or two sizes bigger than you will use for the rest of the piece.  

This is what I ended up doing when I first started. It helped me out quite a bit! Now I don't have as much problems with the first couple rows being too tight. Not sure what I did to change it though.

Agree on the bigger hook size!  I was what I call a "tightener", someone who tightens each stitch as its made.  This not only made my hands hurt, but my starting chain way too tight.

I still use 1-2 sizes larger when doing my starting chain.  And it took me A LOT of practice to stop wanting to tighten each stitch as I go.  Now I go along and wonder why I got in that habit? 

Definitely practice! The first few rows of a project are ALWAYS the hardest! I use an ergonomic hook (Tulip Etimo) and it really helps me when I'm starting a project, because when my grip on the hook is comfortable, i don't tend to work really really tightly with the yarn.

The first thing is to "relax".   Some of the excess tension is being communicated into your work because your fingers have not yet developed the confidence, so are "tense" when you start the project, and once you work a few rows, you are more relaxed. 

The second or really simultaneously, WATCH where you are "working" - be sure that your are working onto the full diameter of the barrel.  

As you working those first few rows (and maybe all the time) "Pinch The Stitch" 

Using your Yarn Hand (not the one holding your hook)  while guiding the yarn with your pointer finger,

"Pinch the loop on the hook"  this will help it keep its size as you draw the loop thru. 

It also helps keep the loop on the shaft instead of slipping down the neck - again keeping the proper diameter. 

What a lot of people do at first is to strangle the yarn.  The loop should comfortably fit around the shank of the hook.  What sometimes happens is that people tighten the loop as they slide it down the throat of the hook.

Once you have the loop sitting comfortably on the shank, slide the hook but do not tighten the loop as you slide it into position for the next step.

Archived