Etimo Tulip Crochet Hooks set?

mudder17

Hi!  I'm fairly new to crocheting, as well as to this forum, but am not new to fiber.  I've been knitting for about 2 years now, and decided to pick up crochet in November, so about 3 months ago.  I started with amigurumi, since it meant small projects with quick results and had a blast.  I am currently using Clover Takumi Soft Touch hooks, which is so much easier on my hand than the traditional metal ones, but I find my hands still get tired if I'm not careful to take frequent breaks.  Recently I bought one ergonomic Crochet Dude aluminum hook from Joann's and I definitely like the feel of them better.  I read several reviews of the Etimo Tulip Crochet Hook set (basically this set: http://www.joann.com/caron-tulip-etimo-crochet-hook-set-with-scrissors-sizes-d-e-f-g-7-h-i-j/zprd_10820470a/) and it sounds like something I would really be interested in.  The problem is that Amazon and Joann are both sold out and ebay sells it for way more. 

Is the hype about the set worth it?  Should I wait for them to come out with more?  Or should I just suck it up and buy them individually (~$9 a piece), sticking to the sizes I use most often?

Any and all suggestions from those more experienced than I am would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Eileen

Personally I would never buy a set of anything without trying it out first. I'd get one in a frequently used size and give it a trial before i even thought about buying a whole set.  

Also, it is good for all of us to take breaks! 

I've never used the Tulip hooks you are looking at, but I've had a set of their smaller steel hooks for over a year and I love them. They make working with thread so much easier, I'd never go back to a regular steel hook again.

I own several Soft touch hooks, and still use them, but after falling in love with my set of Tulip steel hooks, I found these Prym Soft Handle hooks, at that time sold by Mary Maxim, and decided to give them a try because they were so similar to the Tulips.. I bought them in every size. They are almost identical to my set of Tulips, and they were only $1.79 each.

Mary Maxim only has a few odd sizes of the steels, if anyone needs them, I highly recommend them.

Value-wise, I'd suggest trying to find the Pryms, soft handle. Wool-Tyme in Ottawa, Canada sells Prym soft handle, not sure what the shipping would be, tho.

If you hold my blue Tulip steel hook next to my Prym $1.79 hook, you'd swear they were made by the same company, they are almost identical, but at a huge savings. DH gave them both a thorough inspection, the only thing Tulip had over the Prym was the fancy case with the dinky little pair of scissors(that I've never even used)

I've never used the Tulip hooks you are looking at, but I've had a set of their smaller steel hooks for over a years and I love them. They make working with thread so much easier, I'd never go back to a regular steel hook again.

I own several Soft touch hooks, and still use them, but after falling in love with my set of Tulip steel hooks, I found these Prym Soft Handle hooks, at that time sold by Mary Maxim, and decided to give them a try because they were so similar to the Tulips.. I bought them in every size. They are almost identical to my set of Tulips, and they were only $1.79 each.

Mary Maxim only has a few odd sizes of the steels, if anyone needs them, I highly recommend them.

Oh, these look very nice!  But it looks like they may only be available in the UK?

Oh, these look very nice!  But it looks like they may only be available in the UK?

Seems like they are, i'm going to be looking around on google. If you can find one, i'm sure you'd like it.

I sometimes get crampy hands if I hold my hook too tight, and I have to stop for a bit and do something else. Are you grasping the hook too tight?

EDIT I found Prym soft hooks are available at Nordic Mart. in CA  They are $2.45 - $2.65.each, so easily comparable in price to other hooks. Scroll down the page, they are below the Drops hooks. NordicMart sells the yarn recommended in the DROPS design/Garnstudio patterns, great patterns, by the way!

Seems like they are, i'm going to be looking around on google. If you can find one, i'm sure you'd like it.

I sometimes get crampy hands if I hold my hook too tight, and I have to stop for a bit and do something else. Are you grasping the hook too tight?

EDIT I found Prym soft hooks are available at Nordic Mart. in CA  They are $2.45 - $2.65.each, so easily comparable in price to other hooks. Scroll down the page, they are below the Drops hooks. NordicMart sells the yarn recommended in the DROPS design/Garnstudio patterns, great patterns, by the way!

Oh excellent!  That sounds like a good buy for sure!  In fact, they're less than half the price of the ones I got from the Crochet Dude at Joann Fabrics.  I will order a few in my favorite sizes and report back. 

And yes, I am very conscious about trying not to grasp the hook too tight. I used to be a tight knitter, but have relaxed over time, so when I started crocheting, I tried to think about how tightly I was holding the hook.  I like to use an almost pencil grip though--kind of a cross between a pencil and a chopstick for me, lol.  But you're right--I should still take frequent breaks. :)

The Tulip Etimo hooks are ALL that I use!  I started out buying one to try when they very first came out and then I bought another one.  Then decided I needed the entire set.  I have tried many different kinds of hooks and these by far are my favorite!  I would suggest just buying one and trying it to see if you would like it.  I can honestly say that the Prym hooks are really no comparision to the Etimo ones.  Etimo is much, much nicer!

The Tulip Etimo hooks are ALL that I use!  I started out buying one to try when they very first came out and then I bought another one.  Then decided I needed the entire set.  I have tried many different kinds of hooks and these by far are my favorite!  I would suggest just buying one and trying it to see if you would like it.  I can honestly say that the Prym hooks are really no comparision to the Etimo ones.  Etimo is much, much nicer!

Thanks for adding this, KLD, the larger size Tulip Etimo hooks weren't available when I purchased the steels, and the Pryms seemed comparable at the time. I will definitely pick up a few of the most used larger sizes (or maybe another set)

I love using the Tulip Etimo steels, they make thread work so much more enjoyable. I'd recommend anyone starting out with thread to invest in a nice hook like this, they'll be a "threadie" forever.... now you make me wonder how they work with yarn, can't wait to try them!!

I've tried thread crocheting only a few times (I was making snowflakes) and although I liked it, I think I prefer larger guage projects, at least for now.  So I think I'll give the Prym ones a try first (only the larger sizes are available anyway) since they're quite affordable, and if I ever decide to try thread a bit more seriously, I'll pick up an Etimo to try.  Thanks for the reviews and suggestions ladies!  It was most helpful!

Thanks for adding this, KLD, the larger size Tulip Etimo hooks weren't available when I purchased the steels, and the Pryms seemed comparable at the time. I will definitely pick up a few of the most used larger sizes (or maybe another set)

I love using the Tulip Etimo steels, they make thread work so much more enjoyable. I'd recommend anyone starting out with thread to invest in a nice hook like this, they'll be a "threadie" forever.... now you make me wonder how they work with yarn, can't wait to try them!!

How funny!  I've tried thread and found it difficult to work with.  Maybe I'll pick up a smaller Etimo and try again....thanks for posting!  

I bought one. I think it is a G hook. The handle is too narrow for me and the hook end is too small for my taste. It may work well in "younger" hands though. I'm still hooked (no pun intended :) ) on the Clover Amour hooks.

• 7 months later...

Archived